AA dropped our flight-will we make a 12:15 flight out of LAX?

dirienzo

We are cruising RCCL Vision of the Seas docking in San Pedro. We were booked on a return flight out of LAX at 2:15 pm and that flight was dropped. Then we were put on a 4 pm flight and that was dropped. They now have us booked on a 12:15 flight. Has anyone made a flight that early. It will be on a Sunday. Our only other choice will be to take the red eye later that night. Thanks

A 12:15 flight will be tight. It is doable, but if stress is not your FIRST name, I would not attempt it. You don't want to end your vacation on a sour note, worrying about making the plane. The longshoreman in LA are still working under only part of a contract, so sometimes the ports are VERY slow. And figure a minimum 45 minute drive to LAX-on a slow Sunday morning. Could be a LOT longer.

You do not say where you are flying to. That would help in giving advice.

I fly AA about 100,000 business miles per year, so am well versed in the nuances of AA. Please let us know where you are flying to.

We are flying to Boston, and the only other non-stop flight is the red-eye. Can't believe they dropped both afternoon flights. We will have our sons car at the port, and he can drop us off right at LAX-he lives in the area. I think if we get off the ship by 10, we could get to the airport by 11. It is a lot of stress, but then the idea of taking a non-stop flight is stressful too. What do you think. Is it probable to be off the ship by 10?

The big question is: Will you be off the ship by 10:00? My guess-60% chance.

I looked at AA's schedule through July. They are still showing the nonstop to BOS at 4:00PM. Why did they tell you it was cut? Or is it overbooked? Sunday non-stop transcon flights are usually pretty full. AA has recently cut back on their LAX/BOS schedule, but I am still seeing the 4:00PM.

Why don't you look into one of the one stoppers to BOS? Fly through ORD (flight 576 and 818) or NYC (flight 32 and 4609). They both arrive between 11:00PM and 12:30AM, which is about the same arrival time as the 4:00. A little more time traveling, but you get home about the same time. I would take the NYC, if it was me.

If AA cannot get you a seat on the 4:00PM, your choices are the one stoppers or the red eye. Good Luck!!!

Thanks for your help.Our flight is on April 24th. Looks like I'll have to pick a flight with a stop, or possibly get a hotel for the day near LAX and take the red-eye home. I looked up the flight schedules for that day, and did not see a 4 pm listed, so I think it was dropped, not overbooked. If we gamble and try for the 12:15 but don't make it, what happens then-do they put you on another flight, or is there an extra fee?

The 4:00 flight is missing from the schedule on the 22, 23, and 24. It is available on the 20, 21, 25, 26, etc. Looks like AA does not have the traffic on Friday, Sat, and Sunday. What a shame for you.

If you miss your flight and have discounted tickets (non-refundable), you MUST call the airline before the plane departs. In most cases, if the plane leaves, and you are holding non-refundable tickets, you are just out. However, if you call, notify them you cannot make the plane, you will be charged $100.00pp and any fare difference. Could be a very expensive plane trip.

If you are comfortable taking the red-eye, OK. Or if you are already thinking about getting a hotel, spend the day in LA and take the nonstops on the 25th.

I would call AA, explain your concerns about missing your flight, and see if they can't get you on one of the one stoppers or the non-stops for the 25th, FOR NO CHANGE FEE. You may have to get a supervisor on the phone. Almost all the airlines are notorious for charging those expensive change fees the MINUTE you say you want to change flights. I think you have a valid argument for no fee (they cancelled your flight) and an AA supervisor can usually make it happen. Good luck!!!

I called AA and they said they will put me on any flight I want with no change fee. She also suggested we wait a couple of months before changing because by that time maybe they will have added another non-stop afternoon flight on. In any event, I won't risk the 12:15-Too much stress and possibilty of added cost if we miss the flight. Thanks for your help.

Let the pursers desk know that you have an early flight, you will be eligible for earlier debarkation. Even if you weren't off the ship until 10 am, with a ride waiting for you, the airport is only about 45 minutes, perhaps less, it is only 20-25 miles away. Just make sure your room steward is aware of your early off plans, since you may have different debarkation tags than the rest of your area. Also, if you have a passport, the debarkation process can go a little faster,they have separate lines for passport holders.

I would venture to say, you will probably be off the ship by 9 or 9:30 and have more than enough of a wait at the airport. Remember, this will be on a Sunday, traffic is not nearly so bad then. We have gotten off a RCL ship at this same port by 8:30 am before. We live 35 miles south of the port and we were home by 9:15.

Archived