What we did in Samana

CRUISIN' TOGETHER

We were on NCL Dawn Dec. 6 - 13. I like to plan excursions on our own to save cost, but couldn't find any information on independent tour operators in Samana. So...following advice of what I've read on CC, we booked a ship's excursion. The Caves and Mangroves Tour is what we selected. This turned out to be a great tour! The tour boat picked us up right at the ship (anchored) and we had an approximate 40 minute ride to the Los Haitis National Park area. Our tour guide was great; very informative about the park and about Samana. We rode around some different sites and then pulled through the mangroves area, which was very interesting. Then we stopped at the site of our first cave. We walked through a trail to get to the cave...not difficult, but definitely wear your tennis shoes! The trail and walking in the caves is uneven and rocky...sometimes slippery. The caves were great....so interesting and the guide again was very informative in the history. Then we loaded back on the boat and headed out to another cave. This cave was a home to bats...even though we didn't encounter any!! It was beautiful...colorful rock formations - great views of the blue sky and ocean through some small open areas in the caves! Then we loaded back on the boat to head back to the ship. Oh...the crew on the tour also had cold sodas for us on the way to the caves and then again on the way back to the ship! Nice refreshment! Including the travel time to and from...the total tour was about 3 hours. We really enjoyed this tour! The ship also offered another tour with the caves and mangroves that included going to Cayo Levantado (sp?) for some beach time. I would have liked to do this, but our friends traveling with us picked this tour and didn't want the beach part of it. That is the only thing I would have added if it were up to me. I think the cost was $10 more pp.

All in all, we really enjoyed exploring the caves and the boat ride was fun too!

We also were on the Dawn Dec. 6- 13. We also took a ship tour, which we never do, because we couldn't find locals.

Bad mistake. Took Devil's mouth and Rincon tour to see "geyser" according to staff on excursion desk. Geyser only operates from Jan. to Mar. so we spent four hours racing over potholes a foot deep for nothing. The beach had lots of rocks and seaweed.

Complained but NCL not concerned.

We also were on the Dawn Dec. 6- 13. We also took a ship tour, which we never do, because we couldn't find locals.

Bad mistake. Took Devil's mouth and Rincon tour to see "geyser" according to staff on excursion desk. Geyser only operates from Jan. to Mar. so we spent four hours racing over potholes a foot deep for nothing. The beach had lots of rocks and seaweed.

Complained but NCL not concerned.

That's bad. I hate that you had that bad experience.

Thanks for reporting. It really helps the rest of us who will be on Dawn to decide what we will do. We are trying to get enough people for the Playa Rincon independent tour (taxi and boat) for $26 per person thru our roll call since the ship's tours are very pricey. But if we are not successful, we'll take a ship's tour. Did either of you spend any time in Samana as well as on your tours?

Thanks for reporting. It really helps the rest of us who will be on Dawn to decide what we will do. We are trying to get enough people for the Playa Rincon independent tour (taxi and boat) for $26 per person thru our roll call since the ship's tours are very pricey. But if we are not successful, we'll take a ship's tour. Did either of you spend any time in Samana as well as on your tours?

Yes, we tendered into Samana after our tour boat dropped us off on the ship. We just walked through the market area. There is a waterfall there to visit..I didn't know about that beforehand...don't know how I missed it. Another passenger told me they took a taxi to it. There were several kids trying to sell fruit and seashells, but not as many kids as I expected. We didn't really know where to go in Samana, so we just stuck with the market area, which is tents set up by the locals with their merchandise for sale.

• Administrators
We were on NCL Dawn Dec. 6 - 13. I like to plan excursions on our own to save cost' date=' but couldn't find any information on independent tour operators in Samana. So...following advice of what I've read on CC, we booked a ship's excursion. The Caves and Mangroves Tour is what we selected. This turned out to be a great tour! The tour boat picked us up right at the ship (anchored) and we had an approximate 40 minute ride to the Los Haitis National Park area. Our tour guide was great; very informative about the park and about Samana. We rode around some different sites and then pulled through the mangroves area, which was very interesting. Then we stopped at the site of our first cave. We walked through a trail to get to the cave...not difficult, but definitely wear your tennis shoes! The trail and walking in the caves is uneven and rocky...sometimes slippery. The caves were great....so interesting and the guide again was very informative in the history. Then we loaded back on the boat and headed out to another cave. This cave was a home to bats...even though we didn't encounter any!! It was beautiful...colorful rock formations - great views of the blue sky and ocean through some small open areas in the caves! Then we loaded back on the boat to head back to the ship. Oh...the crew on the tour also had cold sodas for us on the way to the caves and then again on the way back to the ship! Nice refreshment! Including the travel time to and from...the total tour was about 3 hours. We really enjoyed this tour! The ship also offered another tour with the caves and mangroves that included going to Cayo Levantado (sp?) for some beach time. I would have liked to do this, but our friends traveling with us picked this tour and didn't want the beach part of it. That is the only thing I would have added if it were up to me. I think the cost was $10 more pp.

All in all, we really enjoyed exploring the caves and the boat ride was fun too![/quote']

Hey, thanks for this report! This is what we've booked for our April cruise on the Dawn (with the additional beach time at Cayo Levantado), and I've been dithering a bit about it -- hearing from someone who did this makes me feel much better! :)

Archived