Public beaches?

loudon

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I am a first-time cruiser: is it absolutely necessary to pay anything on any of the islands? In other words, is it possible to just walk off of the ship, find a public beach within walking distance, lie in the sun for a few hours and head back on-board? I'm not asking because I'm a cheap-skate, but rather for my 60-yr. old parents who will not be interested in the same types of island tours/activities as my girlfriend and I (although I may be interested in the same type of thing on at least one of the islands).

the secure area, where the tenders docks, have nice restaurants, bars and some shopping...no beaches. outside the security gates, it's a very poor/3rd world area. it's totally different then docking at one of the touristy islands in the caribe.

many of the ships offer tender rides to a beach, but not withing walking distance. belize is better known for it's mayan ruins and the blue reef (an off-shore reef with great fishing/scuba/snorkeling.

This board is a great place to learn about different ports and things to do. There are no dumb questions.

Belize is not a good port to go on your own. You need to purchase an excursion here. It will be well worth the investment. Besides shopping, there isn't much to do at the port. Keep readng the different postings here for ideas. On my visit I did a river cruise to view wildlife and a tour of Altun Ha mayan ruins. I loved it. We are going again this spring and this time around, we will looking for a snorkelling tour and beach to visit.

I'm not sure what other ports you will be visiting on your cruise. There are some islands where you can walk off the ship and find a beach close by.

Keep researching so you'll have an idea ahead of time what your choices are.

Welcome to these boards, but beware, you may become addicted:)

although not free, the Fins and Flippers island might be a quiet, safe place for them in Roatan. It is very close to the ship, with a ferry service over to it and back. If you reserve in advance via the internet, the cost is $20 plus any food or drink there. I hear that it is very clean and very nice grounds. A shallow fresh water pool is nice after the ship's salt warter ones. Not likely to be many children. Here is a link: http://www.finsandflippers.com/en/index.html

I have attached a simple map of Roatan -- the orange areas are the beaches - the ship docks in Coxen Hole.

Sorry, no close-by ideas for Belize. There is a large beach, West Bay Beach that has many small hotels and restaurants. The beach by the water, by law, is public access, but the chairs / loungers will cost to rent. Taxi shoud be about $20 for two. The ride is probably at least 20 minutes.

Check the Ports of Call forum here on Cruise Critics for Roatan, Belize or Cozumel for many more ideas

2045208624_Roatan20Map.jpg.0f054ab83eeebbe766549cbb88f7517e.jpg

Archived