Missouri Hillbillys Progreso Review

Hey ya'all...we were in Progreso last week...cruised on the Ecstacy...just wanted to share our thoughts of Progreso...we took the double decker bus ride around the city ( $2 each ) we enjoyed this and I reccomend it, just remember to watch for power lines and be ready to duck...after getting off the bus we looked around the open air market ( guess thats what you'd call it )..its a really interesting market that the locals shop at...and maybe a few of us tourist...they have fruits and meat and eggs and just all sorts of stuff...and some very beautiful flowers at a couple of different places ( had to get my wifes picture in front of one )..its filled with sights and smells we wont see this side of the border...after the market, we looked thru the little flea market area...bought a few things...then went on a walking tour of the town...at least part of it...a very interesting accurate look at a real mexican town where tourist take a back seat and the locals seem very nice...I would have liked to have had more time to explore, but had promised my wife a beach day...so we walked down to the beach...an easy walk of a few blocks..we ended up at Buddys...and had a real good time...there was music and dancing and good drinks and good eats....beach chairs at the waters edge where you could sit and enjoy life and have your drinks brought to you...how can ya beat that??? the weather was perfect....remember to use sunscreen...we did and still slightly burned...the food we had was mostly chips, salsa, and guacamolle...all was really good...the water felt really good and ...as they say...a good time was had by all!!! After the beach, we stopped at Le St Bonet to eat a late lunch...I had planned for months to go there and eat the deep fried snapper...then I finally got there and had fajitas....go figure!! All in all we enjoyed the whole day...you will be pestered by the locals trying to sell ya stuff, but after a while you get used to it and I didnt feel they were a bother really...just poor folks trying to make a buck...thats my view...I heard a few people back on the boat talking about how they were unhappy with the venders...but ..hey...its Mexico...deal with it!! I can see how some folks wouldnt like progreso, due to its not being a fancy , glitsy tourist stop...but you cant please everyone no matter what...and everyones entitled to their opinions...my opinion of progresso is that its a good look at real mexico, where the people seem nice and are just going about their everyday business...the beach was fun....hope someday soon to go back :)

Archived