Bumped rooms

dodahjones

Has anyone ever had the room changed without warning ???

My son and family had reserved 2 rooms side by side as they are six (some small children)and now HA has placed them in two rooms on dirrent decks

Apparently these rooms were "locked " on the reservation so this would not happen

Any info appreciated

Thanks

My son and family had reserved 2 rooms side by side as they are six (some small children)and now HA has placed them in two rooms on dirrent decks

Apparently these rooms were "locked " on the reservation so this would not happen

Any info appreciated

Thanks

If your son picked specific cabins and not a guarantee, then they should not be moved without HAL asking your son if he's interested in doing so. I'd call my TA or HAL ASAP and tell them to fix this pronto. We traveled with our kids on a cruise and picked 3 cabins that were together. I would have not been happy had we been moved to different cabins that weren't together. I'm sure HAL will take care of this, but I'd not delay in asking them to do so.

Picking specific cabins does not automatically freeze them. You must freeze them explicitly, which it seems that you did. The best way to be sure that the cabins are not separated is to make sure they are "cross-referenced", which links them as cabins for a single party. If the cabins are frozen and/or cross-referenced you have a very legitimate complaint. Call HAL if you booked directly or your travel agent if not. Always print out screens that document the status of your booking to save arguments later. If you document cabin status in writing, HAL must admit it made a mistake and it should be expected to make it right to your satisfaction.

Yep, happened to me a couple years ago and the rooms were linked for dinning, etc. We had specifically picked our port side balcony rooms a year in advance for So bound Alaska. One room was changed to same level, but forward and on starboard side. After much complaining did not get our original room back - it was already given to someone else - but we did get a $100 shipboard credit.

For the cruise I took with my two daughters on Zuiderdam, I booked an assigned cat E outside cabin for 3.

About a week before our cruise, we were bumped to a cat VE balcony cabin midship.

Needless to say, we didn't complain about the "bump".:D

Any info appreciated

Thanks

Never on HAL, but it happened on Celebrity Century and we found out when we went to board the ship. My DD and her friend were supposed to be in the inside cabin across the hall. We had to go to guest relations to fix, and we never received any explanation.

Hi

Thanks everyone for your input.....The problem was addressed with the TA and appears to be resolved ,so the Christmas cruise is a go......

Merry Christmas to everyone

Any info appreciated

Thanks

I'm glad this was resolved!

Most people don't realize that even when they book a specific cabin or several cabins with the bookings linked together, that the default for all bookings is that you would accept an upgrade. You need to make sure your TA marks the bookings "No Upgrade" to make sure you won't be moved.

Hopefully even if HAL can't get the original cabins back, they can at least get cabins that are together. I don't know the ages of the children, but they should be kept close to the parents and not on a different deck.

The only problem with this, is that each cabin needs to have an adult in the room, so even if the rooms are separated there should technically be an adult in the room. HAL knows families usually book parents separated and then switch rooms, but according to the "rules" HAL shouldn't have a problem separating rooms. It totally stinks, and I would make a big deal about it though. I'm so glad the OP got their rooms situated!

Hopefully even if HAL can't get the original cabins back, they can at least get cabins that are together. I don't know the ages of the children, but they should be kept close to the parents and not on a different deck.
Problem is, though, that "children" are not supposed to be in their own cabin. There should be an adult in there with them. So, from a purely technical standpoint, HAL did nothing wrong. One adult with some kids in one cabin, another adult with the other kids in the second cabin. No problem, right?

However, I would definitely be upset to have half my party on another deck. The OP should see if she can get her travel agent to intercede and at least get the two cabins on the same deck.

From what I understand, however, HAL can change cabin assignments at will, even if you request a "do not upgrade." It's not fair, but I've heard of it happening in cases where people have booked specific cabins and then had them changed. Of course, when there is a change, it is generally an upgrade.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The only problem with this, is that each cabin needs to have an adult in the room, so even if the rooms are separated there should technically be an adult in the room. HAL knows families usually book parents separated and then switch rooms, but according to the "rules" HAL shouldn't have a problem separating rooms. It totally stinks, and I would make a big deal about it though. I'm so glad the OP got their rooms situated!
Would booking connecting cabins get around this, though? Perhaps that's what the OP should have done. But, as it is, I agree ... there should technically be no problem separating these cabins and thus "forcing" the OP to place an adult in the room with the children. In fact, who knows? Maybe that's exactly how HAL is thinking. There's been troubles in the past, many reported on these very boards, about unruly kids onboard. Maybe HAL is clamping down and enforcing this rule, and separating the OP's cabin assignments is one way of doing that? I don't know how old the OP's kids are, but I am sure in the case of teens, it is very, very easy for them to "sneak" out of the cabin ... even if that cabin is located right next door or across the hall from their parents ... and be out and about the ship on their own late at night. With connecting cabins, though, that would be more difficult ... especially if the parents kept the connecting door open through most of the night.

Maybe HAL just wants a bit more supervision of kids onboard and wants to "discourage" parents from putting them in a room by themselves.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived