An easy question for OWL61

Jiminkcmo

I'm planning to have dinner at Bar Norte on Jan. 3rd.

And looking forward to some good steak. <G>

Are the wait-staff somewhat English speaking?

My Spanish is terrible and hopefully I will be able to convey what I would like for dinner, beef and beer.

Many thanks.

Jim

Jan 3 is a Saturday so Bar Norte will probably be open for dinner. It is not open for dinner during the week. The wait staff do not speak English, but you should be able to convey beef ( bife de chorizo is recommended ) and beer (cerveza).

But I have a question. Why Bar Norte for a steak? There are so many wonderful steak houses (parrilladas) where you could dine on a better steak much more comfortably for just a little more money. La Cabrera, El Mirasol de la Recova, El Trapiche, La Parolaccia, 1880 are a few that I recommend ahead of Bar Norte for a steak. The most expensive ( Mirasol) will run you about $30 pp without wine and the least expensive ( El Trapiche) will set you back $15 pp. Bar Norte is a great lunch place and you will eat well and cheaply, but if you just have 1 or 2 dinners in BA I recommend you choose another place.

Jan 3 is a Saturday so Bar Norte will probably be open for dinner. It is not open for dinner during the week. The wait staff do not speak English, but you should be able to convey beef ( bife de chorizo is recommended ) and beer (cerveza).

But I have a question. Why Bar Norte for a steak? There are so many wonderful steak houses (parrilladas) where you could dine on a better steak much more comfortably for just a little more money. La Cabrera, El Mirasol de la Recova, El Trapiche, La Parolaccia, 1880 are a few that I recommend ahead of Bar Norte for a steak. The most expensive ( Mirasol) will run you about $30 pp without wine and the least expensive ( El Trapiche) will set you back $15 pp. Bar Norte is a great lunch place and you will eat well and cheaply, but if you just have 1 or 2 dinners in BA I recommend you choose another place.

What do you know about these restaurants in BA?

Cabana Las Lilas

Happening Restaurant

Gardiner Restaurant

Sorrento Reataurant

El Palacio de la Papa Frita

These were suggested by the agent who booked our tour.Are they tourist traps? What kinds of foods do they have?

Thanks for any help.

Barbara

I guess I misunderstood a previous post and thought you recommended Bar Norte as a little known good steak place.

Yes, I only have one night and will look into one of the others you suggest.

Thanks for the information.

Jim

Here´s a link to the equivalent of a Zagat guide to Buenos Aires restaurants: http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/

Cabana Las Lilas is not highly recommended. Not likely your agent ate here - it´s a very expensive steak house and generally panned by the locals. Palacio de Papa Fritas also serves parrilla. It is inexpensive and not bad, but is not the kind of place you want to dine at while touring. Much more likely your agent actually ate here. I am unfamiliar with the others you mention, but the ones I listed above are all excellent or very good parrillas (steakhouses) though all their menus contain more than just barbequed meat. Check the Oleo guide for ratings.

Here´s a link to the equivalent of a Zagat guide to Buenos Aires restaurants: http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/

Cabana Las Lilas is not highly recommended. Not likely your agent ate here - it´s a very expensive steak house and generally panned by the locals. Palacio de Papa Fritas also serves parrilla. It is inexpensive and not bad, but is not the kind of place you want to dine at while touring. Much more likely your agent actually ate here. I am unfamiliar with the others you mention, but the ones I listed above are all excellent or very good parrillas (steakhouses) though all their menus contain more than just barbequed meat. Check the Oleo guide for ratings.

Thanks I will check that guide.

Barbara

Archived