Questions for Majesty Experts

NoVaCruiser60

We're considering the Majesty out of Baltimore in Summer 09. Its close, the rates are good, and we've always wanted to go to Bermuda. We really like the newer, larger NCL ships (Jewel, Pearl) and we're wondering how much we'll miss those amenities.

I have searched the board several times, and there are a few specifics I can't find. So, hope someone out there on the boards can help:

1) how small is the spa on the Majesty? Does it have a pool or hot tile lounge chairs? The NCL site map makes the Spa look like just a few massage rooms.

2) We really love the Asian fusion restaurants on NCL, and the sushi bar. Do any of the restaurants on Majesty serve Asian fusion or sushi?

3) I know the gym is small, but is it crowded all day (say 0800-1600)?

4) I read NCL has ended their Freestyle ashore option in Bermuda, but is it true certain restaurants in Bermuda offer special discounts to cruise passengers?

1) how small is the spa on the Majesty? Does it have a pool or hot tile lounge chairs? The NCL site map makes the Spa look like just a few massage rooms. Can't say FOR SURE but I think it's just a few massage rooms...didn't partake.:)

2) We really love the Asian fusion restaurants on NCL, and the sushi bar. Do any of the restaurants on Majesty serve Asian fusion or sushi? No

3) I know the gym is small, but is it crowded all day (say 0800-1600)?DH used it around 7ish, not crowded.

4) I read NCL has ended their Freestyle ashore option in Bermuda, but is it true certain restaurants in Bermuda offer special discounts to cruise passengers? Discount is not much.

Others will probably offer some more info.:)

We're considering the Majesty out of Baltimore in Summer 09. Its close, the rates are good, and we've always wanted to go to Bermuda. We really like the newer, larger NCL ships (Jewel, Pearl) and we're wondering how much we'll miss those amenities.

I have searched the board several times, and there are a few specifics I can't find. So, hope someone out there on the boards can help:

1) how small is the spa on the Majesty? Does it have a pool or hot tile lounge chairs? The NCL site map makes the Spa look like just a few massage rooms.

2) We really love the Asian fusion restaurants on NCL, and the sushi bar. Do any of the restaurants on Majesty serve Asian fusion or sushi?

4) I read NCL has ended their Freestyle ashore option in Bermuda, but is it true certain restaurants in Bermuda offer special discounts to cruise passengers?

There is no pool in the spa. The gym wasnt crowded and there is only one special restaurant. The service was so good on the Majesty....i'm thinking of taking another cruise on it in 09 too from Baltimore to Bermuda....ive been to Bermuda two times already but there is alot to see there. The food is expensive in Bermuda. I went back to the ship to eat diner and only ate lunch there. I didnt miss the bigger ships like i thought i would.

I want to comment on your question about missing the amenities of the larger ships. You will miss them on this ship, so be prepared. That being said, Majesty has a large following of admirers. She's small and charming and the service is top notch.

When we sailed, there were sushi served in Le Bistro on sea days. I've not done the Bermuda run, but there were 2 days of sushi on the Western Caribbean runs. There is a cover charge of $15 pp, which seems worth it to us, but it may not to you if you're used to getting it included in your cruise fare.

You would do well to read the "Majesty to Bermuda" reviews in the review section of CC.

Keep in mind, you'll be in Bermuda most the time, so sea days will pass quickly.

BTW, we're a couple who loves Majesty and are sad that she's leaving the NCL fleet.

2) no. LeBistro and the free Italian for which you need a reservation

3) never saw anyone in it day or night

4) NCL puts out a brochure about recommended restaurants but no discounts.

(this will be in your stateroom when you arrive).

The ship is small and cozy. In comparison to Jewell and Pearl you may feel deprived if you let yourself. But if Bermuda is your main goal, it will get you there in comfort. Although there are not, because of limited space, some of the fancy aspects of newer ships. But she does have beauty and a great crew.

Just got home.

1) Small. I had a nice massage and salt scrub, but had to wash off the scrub before the massage. . . the shower was a tiny install between the gym (yes, men were walking around) and spa. Anyone super modest would have an issue with it.

2) No sushi the whole week that I saw. I did miss it. :( Luckily, I took myself out for it today, upon my return home. There was some Asian, though. The pool-side stir fry was surprisingly good, with a choice of noodles, tofu, chicken, veggies, etc.

3) Embarrassed to say I didn't visit the gym this vacation, but did walk by. The machines looked nearly new and some folks were working out. It was small, but since it's open 24/7, you shouldn't have a problem squeezing in some gym time.

4) No idea.

Must say the service was above average, possibly excellent. The crew was the best I've sailed yet. I wanted to take them home with me. :)

More later. I'm still recovering!

We're generally happy cruisers, and I think the Majesty will suit us fine. While the spa probably won't be up to our desires, I think the great service will be a nice substitute.

@ AWinkler, that sushi lunch is exactly what we want. Many cruisers don't even know about it on the big, modern NCL cruises. I hope they have it on the Bermuda run; I intend to find out.

Thanks again...looks like its Bermuda via Baltimore this Summer!

The Majesty was my home for 1 year, as I worked on her as the lead singer of the production shows in 2004. I can tell you that there are only the outdoor hottubs which get alot of traffic. And there is no Sushi, not then anyway. But People are right, she has a charm about her, and It's all about Bermuda. However, as someone stated earlier, the food is expensive and not that great. I had a few great meals on shore (Moslty in Hamitlon) but I would eat on the ship.

Want snorling Privacy? Ask your driver to take you to Whale Bone Bay or Jobson's Cove

Enjoy!

We've been on the Majesty a couple of times (Bermuda) and found sushi offerings each time. On the last sailing (May 2008), there were two different sushi meals - both with a cover charge. I didn't get to make it, but have heard good things about them.

We back on board in a couple of weeks for her Bahama run and will look for and try the sushi this time!

Happy sails!

Archived