Need advice on pre-cruise Ft Laud vs South Beach

Boardwalk

Hi all,

I am cruising next Dec (05) out of Ft Lauderdale (RCL). Since it's a short cruise I'd like to fly down 2 days ahead. My plan was to go to South Beach since I've always wanted to see it. However, since I am most likely flying in and out of FTL (unless I can get a flight down to Miami and return from FTL) how practical is it to take this side trip to SoBE? I guess I'd have to rent a car for the two days - and how long a drive is it? Or would it make more sense to just stay in FTL and take a day trip to SoBE? I have looked at a LOT of properites and ratings on tripadvisor etc. and the ones that I like best are the South Beach Marriott and Harbour Beach Marriott, although I will also look into Lago Mar since that's mentioned a lot on these boards. Can I get any of these properties for less than $300/night the week after Christmas? Sorry for the long post - any and all advice is appreciated! Also, I'll be travelling with my two teenage boys (and possible some extended family). Thanks again :)

I have stayed at South Beach and Fort Lauderdale, love both places. Go for South Beach, it is nice to see it, I had a great time there. I stayed at the Avalon, small basic hotel that was near everything. Lots of places for dinner and clubs all around. I spent the day on the beach there, it was great.

I like Fort Lauderdale a lot, there is a lot to do there durning the day. Las Olas is nearby and lots of great shopping and fine places for dinner and lunch as well. The Riverfront area is very nice as well in Fort Lauderdale, kind of fun to go there during the evening.

The drive is only around 45 minutes. I know that the water taxi will do day trips to South Beach, it is a good deal.

First of all I am going to assume that you mean FLL. You may want to try bidding on Priceline because IMHO no hotel room ever is worth $300 a night!!

The water taxi is fantastic. You can go all over the place for $5 per person per day. If you get a good captain they will narrate the tour as you go. Check out http://www.watertaxi.com. The $5 per day is to tour around Fort Lauderdale. It costs a lot more to go to South Beach. Personally I would take the rental car to South Beach for one day and do the water taxi around Fort Lauderdale for the other. Have fun.

For $17 pp for a RT to South Beach water taxi ticket, I'd go with that. The water taxi is a really nice way to get around. As far as a hotel, I don't know your exact dates, but the hotels you mentioned are some of the most expensive. You might want to check into Marriott Marina Hotel, Renaissance Hotel 17th Street (another Marriott property) or Embassy Suites. These are all in Ft. Lauderdale. The Marriott Marina has a water taxi stop right at their hotel.

Archived