PADI course while on ship?

Kenai75

Im considering doing the PADI course while on the ship through RCL shore excursions.

I have dived in a pool a couple of times so i have some experience and know this is something I want to do.

Is a course while on the ship a good or bad idea?

does it take up your whole trip?

cost is 250 with 2 open water dives. Is this a good price?

any input about these onboard course is much appreciated.

The course offered on the ship is the limited Scuba Diver certification, not the full Open Water certification. Check PADI for details on the difference between the two.

Is it a good idea? It all depends on how you want to spend your vacation time. If you don't mind doing the class work and pool dives during, in addition to the check out dives during the cruise, then it's an OK way to go.

IMO, a better way to do it is thru a Referral. That is where you do the class work and pool dives at home before the cruise, then do the 4 open water check out dives during the cruise. That way you'll have more free time on the cruise and you'll get the full Open Water certification.

I did my PADI scuba diver on voyager of the seas 7 day western Caribbean in 06. they did offer the open water as well but it would have taken up another at sea day and a day in port to complete. After doing so I agree with the previous poster. Do a referral. That way you can relax on the at sea days but do use the ship for dives/ gear etc RCCL has a great diving school staff and you will enjoy your referral dives more knowing you can go to the dive shop onboard and ask questions of the instructors instead of just meeting them on a port day and diving. If you plan on going full certification (open water) do your first 2 dives at home so there will be no book work at all on the ship. PADI has it set up to do book work/pool/ 2 dives / more book work/ pool/ 2 more dives for open water, and depending on your istructor they might want to stick to that, or let you do 4 referral dives after the book/pool. I finished my open water at home so i could get the dry suit cert. Besides you will love diving so much you want to start getting aquanted with your local dive shop asap even if you live inland. DON'T FORGET YOUR LOGBOOK!:D

I think you should get done what you can before. Having to do the skills at the bottom takes up time and it gives you less time to see all the wonderful sights below. I also wouldn't want to spend my vacation studying and being so focused on learning that I might miss something. If it is the only way you can get certified do it but if you have other choices I would pick those.

Archived