Parking at FT Lauderdale- Warning

KenM

We recently took the Constellation over the Thanksgiving holiday. We always drive to the port since we live in FL. It is the first time that we have encountered a parking problem.

We normally park right next to the departing pier. This time was different.

First- it appears that many more ships are departing from FFL and as a result the parking areas fill up early in the day.

We arrived at the port at 12:30 dropped our luggage and by the time that I got to the closest parking garage- it was closed...

I had to go over to NORTHPORT which was 2.5 miles away. They said that they had a shuttle service. They had 2 shuttles. A shuttle that holds 16 people with a line of 200 plus at 1:30pm.

I grabbed a cab that dropped some people off at Northport. -$10 minimum fee within the port.

When we returned from our cruise , we docked at the Solstice berth which was not the berth that we left from -- it is located mid between both parking garages which means that you need to find a cab OR stand in line with baggage and wait for the small shuttle. (Nightmare- good luck). WE were first off so there were plenty of cabs. Got off the ship at 8:30am, found our luggage, did the customs dance , grabbed a cab and were on the road at 9:10am.

Not bad at all..

Warning- if you are planning on parking- take a look at the day you are leaving and how many ships are in port AND how many ships have left in the past 7 days - . MY major comment is since there are so many additional BIG PASSENGER ships leaving from FFL, I don't believe that they have sufficient parking capacity and certainly not an adequate shuttle service...They should use regular buses for shuttles, especially from NORTH PORT because of the luggage issue and the number of people..The small shuttles don't do it.....

I know that next time_ I will arrive very very early or do the math on parking($12/day) etc. and might leave the car at the airport/or off port. The shuttle lines were ridiculous and the port needs to address this issue. The cabs will love the extra business that they are getting but this will put a hurt on the people needing to get to the airport early....

I probably took a cab that somebody going to the airport may have needed..

The ship was excellent and the food and service were outstanding.. I had read a lot of previous concerns but take it from a veteran cruiser, it was great. I will say that the portions in the dining room were smaller BUT once I told my server to double the vegetables with the meal- no problem.. JUST ASK...THey will do whatever it takes to make you a happy cruiser.. Just don't be shy about asking...

This was a great ship, with an excellent staff.

We just got off the Solstice 12-14 through 12-21 cruise. Arrived at the terminal at 11:45 dropped off the bags and pulled directly into the Solstice parking lot (Terminal 18) right in front to the right of the bow of the ship. You could see our car from the bow camera. Cost was $15 per day--but worth it for the convenience. There were lots of empty parking spots, but our sailing was NOT a holiday cruise. That certainly could account for the difference.

That is interesting. That was not an option for us since the Solstice was in port and looked like they were having VIP parties prior to the main sailing that weekend. IN fact it was not

even suggested by the parking personnel.- just Northport.

IT must be new since I didn't know that it was there

I suspect that lot is just for Solstice people, IF it is in port. Would be interesting to find out if it is resreved for S or open to all???

Ken, thanks for posting your parking experience -- and you as well, Graciepuppy.

My folks live about an hour or so north of FLL and were planning to drive/park to meet the rest of us for our 2/22 departure, but I think I'll arrange a private transfer or perhaps they'll use the SuperShuttle to avoid parking hassles. (Five other members of our party will be bunking with them the night before...)

Is anyone aware of a different, dependable ground transportation option than the two I've mentioned? Thanks for any help!

Burger Bits:

Have taken a roundtrip limo from Boynton Beach with two other couples and all our luggage- when you consider the parking fee and hassle on baggage check in and getting back to the car- the cost was almost a wash per couple.. Not sure how far North you are and how many people bUT it sure was nice having the limo waiting when we returned from the cruise..

We just came back from an Independence cruise, and we parked at Park 2 Go. 9 days cost $72.90 including tax with a AAA discount. They shuttled us right to the ship and came right away to pick us up. It was great.

There are a lot of others right nearby.

Mel

Ken, thanks for posting your parking experience -- and you as well, Graciepuppy.

My folks live about an hour or so north of FLL and were planning to drive/park to meet the rest of us for our 2/22 departure, but I think I'll arrange a private transfer or perhaps they'll use the SuperShuttle to avoid parking hassles. (Five other members of our party will be bunking with them the night before...)

Is anyone aware of a different, dependable ground transportation option than the two I've mentioned? Thanks for any help!

I have used Larry's Limo on two transfers, one for 22 people from Port Everglades to the Miami port for a b2b and another time from the Airport Hilton for 14 pepole to Port Everglades. I've found them helpful, reasonable and , most importantly, reliable. I don't know how far north they go, but you could contact them for a quote.

Thanks for the great tips on private transport services to the pier! Folks are in Jupiter, about an hour or so north of FLL.

I will be arranging a private transfer for them from the info you've given me here. The previous company I've used, while SUPERB, is extremely expensive for 7 ppl.

Merry Christmas!!

Sue:

Hope that you and Jim have a great cruise. It should be fun on New Years Eve..

Party and just DRIVE yourself back to the cabin...:)

IT was really funny at work the other day when he starting talking about the cruise and I told him that we just got back.. Needless to say the meeting got delayed while we discussed the specifics and one of the guys starting saying that he wanted to take his wife on a cruise.. OF course Jim and I had to give him the history of HA and Celebrity cruising,,,,,,and of course we rescheduled the meeting because we used all the time on cruising...

Archived