Chankanaab Beach and Paradise Beach

MickeyG

Would like to address this question to those folks who have visited both Chankanaab Beach and Paradise Beach. We have a 13 and an 11 year old we will be bring down to Cozumel via Carnival's Miracle next month. Would like to know what each beach has to offer that the other one doesn't? I know CB has the dolphin swim but was looking beyond this activity for our family. Still trying to decide which one to select. Thanks!

Mick:)

We went to Chanknaab park two years ago and my daughter and her friend did the dolphin swim. My husband and I went snorkeling and thought that it was a great place to snorkel.

This year my daughter and her friend decided to stay on ship so we rented scooters and one of the places we visited was Paradise Beach. It was great, good food, clean restrooms and nice help. It was very relaxing. Our friends, however went to Chanknaab park to do the dolphin encounter and she thought the place was not very clean, and the workers not very friendly. Wondering if mayble the place had gone downhill since we had visitied it.

Would it be possible to do both in one day? We will be in Cozumel from 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. We have a dophin encounter scheduled for 2:45 p.m. and need to be there by 2:15 to check in. If we spent 1 1/2-2 hours at PB, would it be worth going to?

What time does Paradise Beach open?

Does anyone know the cost of a cab for 4 from:

-the cruise ship pier to PB

-PB to Chankanaab

-Chankanaab to the cruise ship pier

Also, how long would it take to get from Chankanaab to PB?

Thanks!

bplazo...thanx for visiting us, glad you had a great day!

mfinn...some differences, CP has an entry fee ($12USD), we don´t. They have better snorkeling than us. We have a natural sand beach, theirs isn´t. They have a lagoon, butterfly farm, botanical garden, recreated Mayan village. They don´t have any water toys except for snorkel equipment. We have snorkel equipment, floaty mats, kayaks, water trampoline, and climbing water iceburg for $5USD p.p. unlimited use. Our food is better than theirs. We have nice, comfy lounge chairs. They have the hard shell curvy things that ya need to budget about 3-4 minutes to get out of!

We both have great places to spend the day, really somewhat like comparing coco-locos to pina coladas! The good news...we´re only about a 5 min cab ride apart, so you can easily visit us both!

P.S.- we open at 9 am...have fun!

Have not been to Paradise but thoroughly enjoyed Chankanaab. It was very clean. We did not find the employees rude. If you need them, want to order something fine, but they won't hound you. You won't see anyone selling things on the beach. This is a plus for us as we hate to be bothered when we're trying to relax. They have a few shops set up with very good prices. Again, you can browse, nobody pressuring you. We enjoyed snorkeling/swimming, laying out on the sand, mini-golf with iguanas ($2 extra), nature walk through the replica mayan ruins. The bathrooms were very clean. If you search through this board, you will find more information on Chankanaab so you can figure out where you want to spend your day.

Thanks PB Tom. We are going to try to do both going to PB first before Chankanaab.

I know I asked this before, but does anyone know the cost of a cab for 4 from:

-the cruise ship pier to PB

-PB to Chankanaab

-Chankanaab to the cruise ship pier

Thanks!

From all I've heard and read...I think we will be going to PB with our 13 and 11 year old. Sounds like a lot of fun. One question...my 13 year old wonders if he can go parasailing. Does he fit the age requirements? He is strong and tall and I think he can handle it. Just wondering.PS...Hope to get the opportunty to meet Tom on Dec. 22

Mick:)

We just got back from Paradise beach, was there last week. We also went to Chankanab earlier this year in January. Both times we brought our two children with us. We like Paradise beach the best hands down. Chankanab's beach is more geared towards snorkeling with steps leading into deep water. There is only one small sandy beach area where you can actually walk into the water like a normal beach and it was crowded.:(

If you're looking for a beach with a view to snorkeling, go to Chankanab. If you're looking for a normal beach with lots of water toys, a good restaurant, and fewer crowds, go to Paradise. Our kids loved the beach toys like the water trampoline and the large inflated iceberg where you climb up and then slide off. The floating mats were fun for them, but putting on their snorkel masks and looking into the ocean for sea creatures was their favorite thing to do there. Plus, the snorkel masks were free with the $5 fee that paid for unlimited use of all of the water toys. They saw starfish, cool sea shells, and lots of exotic fish. It became a competition for them as to who would see the neatest stuff.:) Plus, there's no locals hounding you to buy something either. I found the place very peaceful and relaxing.

There is a place next door to Paradise beach that offers some good deals on parasailing. They had a nice boat and I saw several people parasailing. I was too chicken to try. They also offered other watersports like seadoos, and I can't remember what else. You might post that as a question for Paradise Tom, he should know what they offer and what the prices are.

Is there any scuba diving at either place? Thanks!

Yes, Chankanaab has 3-4 dive operators on site that will be glad to take you on a guided shore dive. The guide is mandatory, and they can rent you the gear if you need it. They also offer discover scuba if your aren't certified.

As for PB, I think that Tom has mentioned that there is a company that will arrange diving at Paradise Beach. Maybe he'll chime in here and give some more detail.

What ever you do definatley make a stop at Paradise Beach. I found out about PB on Cruise Critic and we where there on Thursday (11/11 Carnival Inspiration). The beach is great and our friends could not believe it when I told them that the $5 cost covered the use of all the equipment. We spent hours lounging on beach chairs or laying on floats in the beautiful blue water. The food is good, drinks cold and plentyful (trust me, we had more than a couple buckets of beer) and the service was wonderful.

We also had a great time visiting with the one and only Paradise Beach Tom!

After the day at the beach we asked Tom for a recommondation for a place to eat in downtown Cozumel. We jumped into a taxi and visited downtown before heading back to the boat.

It is a easy taxi ride to PB and well worth it.

cruisingdoc...Patrick next door at Cozumel Water Sports will take out divers, but there must be a minimum of 2. He doesn't have a website, but if you'd like to invest a couple of bucks on a phone call, he'll tell you everything you'd want to know at: 001 52 987 876 1414. Try calling in the evening when he's back in town, 'cause cell phone reception isn't the best here at the beach! That number is good when dialing from Canada or the USA...have fun!

IslaMike...Hey I remember you guys! Glad you enjoyed your time here. Where did you end up having dinner...Guido's? Take care....

cali-croozer...yeah, those iguanas have a fierce game-face, but there pretty easy to beat, them not having opposable thumbs and all!!!

Hopefully we´ll see you next summer, yer kids will have a blast!

cruisingdoc...yup, he´s right beside us at San Fransisco beach! Happy bubbles!

cruisingdoc...Patrick next door at Cozumel Water Sports will take out divers, but there must be a minimum of 2. He doesn't have a website, but if you'd like to invest a couple of bucks on a phone call, he'll tell you everything you'd want to know at: 001 52 987 876 1414. Try calling in the evening when he's back in town, 'cause cell phone reception isn't the best here at the beach! That number is good when dialing from Canada or the USA...have fun!

IslaMike...Hey I remember you guys! Glad you enjoyed your time here. Where did you end up having dinner...Guido's? Take care....

Hi PB Tom, We ended up at the 3rd place you suggested. The one that had you said had the most choices. I can't remember the name ( located on a corner about 2 or 3 blocks from the water).

Thanks Again! Isla Mike

Archived