Palmar Estate Beach Club

lisabrooke1130

I just wanted to recommend (as highly as possible) the Palmar Estate Beach Club. Last Friday, we docked at Puerto Maya on the MS Oosterdam. We took a taxi ($10 for 2 of us) to the Dzul Ha beach area where the Palmar Estate Beach Club is located. It was a 5-minute (or less) taxi ride.

We were the only ones there for most of the day! We were greeted by Juan and then by Sherri, the owner. Both were so kind and made us feel at home. We changed, put our stuff in a locker, rented snorkel gear from Palmar, and then walked across the street to a beautiful snorkeling beach. It is not a sandy beach, but rocky (bring water shoes). The snorkeling was the best we had seen on our cruise and according to Sherri, this stretch of beach has been written up in Skindiver magazine for being good for snorkeling. After snorkeling, we went back across the street to Palmar and swam at their lovely pool, sunbathed, and snoozed. It was so relaxing. We got our free chips and salsa (actually it was more of a pico de gallo) with our coupon from Cozumel Insider. We also got some drinks (water, soda, and a pina colada) from Palmar's snack bar. We had a huge breakfast on the ship so weren't really hungry for lunch. After a few hours, we snorkeled again, changed, and hailed a taxi back to the ship. Our time at Palmar cost $17 (locker, snorkel gear, and drinks), to which I added a $5 tip for Juan. Taxi was $10 each way. So, it was $42 for a relaxing day. We shopped at all the Puerta Maya shops and were back on the ship by 4 pm for a nap!!

Thank you Sherri and Juan for a wonderful day. More details on Palmar can be found at: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/palmar/ BTW, we found out about Palmar on this site, so thank you to past visitors to Cozumel for the great tip!!

Question re: Dzul Ha

How easy is the water entry? A few rocks don't bother me - I have water shoes but due to bad knees I need a relatively easy entry point. Heavy wave action can also be a concern (I could get knocked over).

Thx

Very easy in terms of water entry. If you are willing to walk a little to one side or the other (rather than going straight in), you could probably walk on sand nearly all the way into the water. The day we were there, the waves (if you could call them that) were lapping against the shore--nothing that would knock an adult over or even a very small child.

Archived