Diving & Belize

runner26.2

We're taking our first cruise Feb 1 on NCL Pearl and plan to scuba dive in Belize. I'm interested in hearing from those who've been what the local dive shops are like vs. cruise line operators. As well, how big of a hassle is it getting on & off using the tenders.

We're taking our first cruise Feb 1 on NCL Pearl and plan to scuba dive in Belize. I'm interested in hearing from those who've been what the local dive shops are like vs. cruise line operators. As well, how big of a hassle is it getting on & off using the tenders.

Just from personal experience, put up with whoever the ship uses and dive while in Belize! Tendering is easy as you're picked up and dropped off right at the ship (the ships anchor pretty far from shore). Belize is one of the premier dive locations in the world and should not be missed.

Randall

Just from personal experience, put up with whoever the ship uses and dive while in Belize! Tendering is easy as you're picked up and dropped off right at the ship (the ships anchor pretty far from shore). Belize is one of the premier dive locations in the world and should not be missed.

Randall

Randall, DH and I will be in Belize in Dec 2009. Thanks for the advice on booking through the cruiseline for diving in Belize. We will definitely do that instead of booking on our own. :D

Randall, DH and I will be in Belize in Dec 2009. Thanks for the advice on booking through the cruiseline for diving in Belize. We will definitely do that instead of booking on our own. :D

Hi,

No problem. This is one of those exceptions where the ship is the easiest route. I hear they're building a pier in Belize and if that happens, I'm sure I'll go back to my "go independent" answer. But with the ship anchoring like 1/2 mile off shore, there's substantial advantage of being picked up.

I've also done a live-aboard in Belize (including diving the blue hole (which is too far away from Belize City to do on a cruise)) and if you like what you see I'd really encourage you to try it. The reefs are very substantial and for the week we dove we were the only boat in sight the whole time. 10 divers and 20 miles of reef to ourselves. Can't be beat!

Hope you enjoy,

Randall

I did the NCL 2 tank excursion from the NCL Jewel this past November and it was well run, the operator was a high class operation, the boat was clean, modern, comfortable and the crew was fantastic. I had my own gear, but the people who rented got all modern, well-maintained BC's and regs. No problems with anything I was aware of.

And the water is beautiful.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

I don't believe that the NCL shore excursion dive trip goes to the blue hole. From reviewing the NCL website the diving occurs along Turneffe Island reef.

Not sure about getting to the blue hole and back during the limited time in port. there may be tour operators who do it but from what I gather its a couple of hours by boat from Belize City to the Blue Hole so trying to do that and being back to the ship on time is a little tight, if not impossible.

Here is a link to a Belize City dive shop I found while researching our dive trips. You may want to contact them.

http://www.seasportsbelize.com/diving.html

Can anyone tell me if this excursion takes you to the Blue Hole? My husband has his heart set on us diving there while on our 1/25/09 Carnival cruise, but I'd like to make sure before I book through the ship. Thanks!

Sorry, the Blue Hole is just too far away from Belize City. Only two reliable ways to dive it is a 7 day live-aboard (how I did it) or a day trip out of San Pedro in Belize. The hole is on the northern side of the reef and it would take most of a day to get there. Turneffe Island is even pretty far away which is why I recommend using the ship excursion to minimize travel time. BTW, you can see pictures of diving the blue hole (and what I call a "crappy video) on my picture site (www.randallgamby.com). Look in the diver and video galleries (some day I'll update my site with more recent picts :p).

Randall

Randall, I loved your videos and pictures! Thanks for sharing.

What time of year did you dive in Bermuda and what was the water temperature? I am working on getting my dive buddy (DH) to agree to a cruise to Bermuda in 2010.

Lisa

I've dived in Bermuda on several occasions (my job takes me there for work, tough huh?). Anyway, summer around 80, fall/winter around 70-65. The gulf stream actually moves away from Bermuda in the winter so the waters get colder but the vis goes crystal clear. It also the air temps only get up to 65-70 in the winter (I came from -20 one winter so 70 felt pretty good and when I asked a restaurant if I could eat on their balcony they said ok but the waiter came out in his winter coat to serve me as I sat in short sleeves :p). If you don't like chilly diving I'd go late-spring - late-summer. You can also do both shore and boat diving and the water's rarely more than 40 ft. deep so lots of shallow water meaning max times underwater. :) If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them........

Randall

Just to add another point on the question of Blue Hole, it is an advanced deep dive. As such, no ship excursion would go there even if there is enough time. Ship excrusions have to cater to the lowest denominator.

Very true. But it is cool to free-fall 130ft straight off the lip down to the stalagtite columns on the side of the wall (for you that didn't know, the Blue Hole is an ancient dome cave that collapsed when the oceans rose after the ice melted at the end of the ice age). :p

Randall

First time we were in Belize, we used the ship's operator, which was fine, but a l-o-n-g ride out, and a lot of folks got sunburnt & seasick.

The second time, we went with Linda and John Searle at SeaSports Belize...and when we went back again, we went with SeaSports, and will continue to do so when we head to the west side (we have been doing southern routes for the last couple of years).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ship's operator, but we liked the short boat ride, personal service, smaller boat, and better dives offered by SeaSports.

Going with SeaSports is a little more effort, but IMHO, very worth it.

Here's a tip for cruise diving - if you can, take your gear in a mesh backpack rather than a rolling bag. It really makes life easier.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

website

http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith

• 1 year later...

I just got back from a stop in Belize on the NCL Dawn last week. I usually arrange independent excursions but used NCL for my dives secondary to advice offered in this thread, and a few others. I did the two tank Turneffe atoll dive at $140 through NCL.

The ship anchored shortly before 8 am and the meeting time for the dive trip was 8:15 am. As I was walking to the Stardust theater, the meeting point, an announcement was made that tenders for non-NCL excursions would not begin until 8:45 am.

There were a total of twelve divers on the tour. The operator was Hugh Parkey. The Hugh Parkey boat picked us up directly from the NCL ship and we were on our way to the Hugh Parkey resort. There was plenty of room for all of the divers on-board. I had read snorkelers sometimes share the boat on the way to the resort but on our day there were only divers.

The ride to the resort was about 20 to 25 minutes. We were there by around 9 am. Once at the resort, waver forms were filled out and those that needed equipment were issued it (at a cost of $20).

We reboarded the dive boat and made our way to the first dive site, maybe a 30 minute ride or so. Visibility was deemed poor so we went to a second site where visibility was again deemed poor so we went on to a third site. I appreciated the effort taken to get us the best visibility possible. We were split into two groups of six. I was placed in the more experienced group, although I still have only around twenty logged dives. After each group was briefed, we walked to the back of the boat, had our fins put on for us and then did a giant stride entry.

First dive was 70 feet for 42 minutes. It was a nice dive although none of the wildlife sighted particularly stands out in my memory. The second dive was 65 feet for 45 minutes and similar to the first in terms of wildlife. Our dive guide carried a slate which he used to write the names of the various creatures on.

After the dives, we returned to the resort and had some time to look around, have a beer and a snack. After that, we made the return trip to the ship. We were back to the ship a little before 3 pm.

It was a good day and I would be happy to do it again should I return.

• 11 months later...
First time we were in Belize, we used the ship's operator, which was fine, but a l-o-n-g ride out, and a lot of folks got sunburnt & seasick.

The second time, we went with Linda and John Searle at SeaSports Belize...and when we went back again, we went with SeaSports, and will continue to do so when we head to the west side (we have been doing southern routes for the last couple of years).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ship's operator, but we liked the short boat ride, personal service, smaller boat, and better dives offered by SeaSports.

Going with SeaSports is a little more effort, but IMHO, very worth it.

Here's a tip for cruise diving - if you can, take your gear in a mesh backpack rather than a rolling bag. It really makes life easier.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

website

www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith

thanks for the info. still torn on the more expensive ship tour or going through seasports. which did you feel was the "better" dive? i never book through the ship but in this case, it just might make sense. what was your take on the atoll? a must see? thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
I did the NCL 2 tank excursion from the NCL Jewel this past November and it was well run, the operator was a high class operation, the boat was clean, modern, comfortable and the crew was fantastic. I had my own gear, but the people who rented got all modern, well-maintained BC's and regs. No problems with anything I was aware of.

And the water is beautiful.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Do you know how much the people were paying for rental gear? I don't have my own and the excursion is kind of expensive.

Archived