Within 50 days till cruise - fare is lower - any options?

enjoyinglife

We are leaving tomorrow on the Conquest for their New Year's Eve cruise.

We are taking family so have 2 balcony 9a and a window on 9th floor. This cruise was higher than most cruises because of NYE. Right before thanksgiving we noticed prices had dropped. DH called Carnival and they wouldn't do anything. DH called our TA and guess what, she got us a $497 OBC for our cabin and sons window cabin. Couldn't do anything for other balcony because they said with 2 adults and 2 children it was a good price. I am happy with what we got. Will also get OBC for fuel supplement. If you have a TA, call them.

Thanks auggie, I have a pvp cause I booked with Carnival. I spoke to her and although she is on vacation, (I have her cell number) she advised me to call another department and try, even told me what to say, but she wished me luck and told me the chances were slim because the policy has changed.

I am thinking of trying to call another person at Carnival, but I really feel like it wouldn't matter!

Good luck on the Conquest. We loved her!

Ken, I cant believe this. I have been watching for 8 cruises for my fare to come down, and it never has. Till now, which is the first cruise I am taking since they changed the policy. The difference in price from what I paid and now is about 700.00 dollars. I almost wish I hadnt found out the price went down! I almost feel like calling back and asking if they would apply the difference to my next cruise, which I would gladly book now!:D:D

I, for one, feel cheated. I booked a cruise to costa rica and Panama.

Because I did not get the notice soon enough I was not allowed to change my cruise to the Freedom without a $600 penalty.

So now I am staying 700 miles north of where I wanted to be and have seen my cabin price fall $600.

I get a $50 room credit.

And I am real tired of the Carnival Cruise line policy being posted by the cheerleaders.

I am getting cheated.

Ken, I cant believe this. I have been watching for 8 cruises for my fare to come down, and it never has. Till now, which is the first cruise I am taking since they changed the policy. The difference in price from what I paid and now is about 700.00 dollars. I almost wish I hadnt found out the price went down! I almost feel like calling back and asking if they would apply the difference to my next cruise, which I would gladly book now!:D:D

Ok, We don't go to to Panama or Costa Rica. If we were unlucky enough not to see the email telling us of the itinerery change we cannot change cruises without first paying a $600 cancellation fee. We stay 600 mile north of where we wanted to be and our cabin prices are now $600 or $700 less than what we paid.

But we get a $50 room credit.

Have I missed anything?

I, for one, feel cheated. I booked a cruise to costa rica and Panama.

Because I did not get the notice soon enough I was not allowed to change my cruise to the Freedom without a $600 penalty.

So now I am staying 700 miles north of where I wanted to be and have seen my cabin price fall $600.

I get a $50 room credit.

And I am real tired of the Carnival Cruise line policy being posted by the cheerleaders.

I am getting cheated.

wanna see the canal, I really feel sorry for all of you who wanted to have the original itenerary. I am actually happy with the changes, mainly because there are still three new places I have never been to.

I wish that you could have changed your sailing without any penalties. There have been cruises in the past where I really wanted to go to the places I booked.

My BIL and SIL wanted to go to panama because he used to work there. They did cancel and got all their money refunded.

Again, sorry!

Ok, We don't go to to Panama or Costa Rica. If we were unlucky enough not to see the email telling us of the itinerery change we cannot change cruises without first paying a $600 cancellation fee. We stay 600 mile north of where we wanted to be and our cabin prices are now $600 or $700 less than what we paid.

But we get a $50 room credit.

Have I missed anything?

I do not think you are missing anything except maybe...I got the email and called in time to cancel and change to the Freedom. The catch was it would cost me about $1000.00 extra for the same two category cabins in a less desirable location for us. So, it was not a matter of just changing ships. You could cancel with no penalty and then make a new booking if you so wished. No extra consideration provided. Plus the one day change was a bit of a hassle for two of us. So, we upgraded on the Miracle, and yes we would prefer to be on the original itinerary, but we believe we will have a fantastic time anyway. At first I was disappointed and irate, especially when the cabin prices started to fall, but I've decided to just move on.

I do not think you are missing anything except maybe...I got the email and called in time to cancel and change to the Freedom. The catch was it would cost me about $1000.00 extra for the same two category cabins in a less desirable location for us. So, it was not a matter of just changing ships. You could cancel with no penalty and then make a new booking if you so wished. No extra consideration provided. Plus the one day change was a bit of a hassle for two of us. So, we upgraded on the Miracle, and yes we would prefer to be on the original itinerary, but we believe we will have a fantastic time anyway. At first I was disappointed and irate, especially when the cabin prices started to fall, but I've decided to just move on.

Thanks for Your Reply, I will have to move on also and begin telling myself that this is what was meant to be. Will also tell myself that I will have a great time with great weather.

Enjoyinglife.

I and maybe you are probably good examples of why they no longer give OBC after final payment. From a dollars (Carnival) perspective it is probably more dollars in their pocket.

In my case, if there was still OBC after final payment, I would probably have two 7A cabins and about $600.00 OBC. Instead I have a 9A and a Cat 11 wrap for about $650.00 more for five people. I could have had two 9A cabins for about $65.00 extra, total. Don't misunderstand me, we are excited and pleased to try out these "better cabins" for what appears to be a very reasonable price and I would be less happy if there was both no OBC and no upgrades after final payment.

Carnival has a net of about $1250.00 ($600 + $650) more from me than they would if they gave OBC after final payment. Of course they also provided "better cabins" in the process. So, we are not complaining and like I said we are excited about this cruise.

However, in the future, if, due to no OBC after final payment a lot of folks wait until after final payment before they book a cruise then Carnival would potentially have a lot of empty cabins after the final payment date. In this case, Carnival would have had less deposits to hold onto, and would presumably have to discount the cabins after final payment, especially in the last 30 days. In this case the savings to their customers would be substantial.

In my case above, this would be a potential $1250 savings in my pocket. I presume Carnival has analyzed these scenarios and have decided that it is more profitable to not give OBC after final payment.

NCL has had the policy for years and it does not seem to affect their bookings.

NCL has had the policy for years and it does not seem to affect their bookings.

And that may be true, but, I will consider my options and see if I think I can get a better deal booking 1 year ahead like I did this one, or waiting till the few weeks prior to sailing date. It is something to think about.

My BIL and SIL cancelled this sailing once the iten. changed and if they rebooked yesterday (if they changed their mind and decided to come) they could save a substantial amount of money.

Archived