Norwegian Pearl Aft Cabin

george2000

We just booked Aft Cabin 11650 for a cruise next Christmas. Does anyone have any information on this cabin?. My husband and I and our 21 year old daughter will be sharing the cabin. We're pretty flexible and can manage pretty well in tight spaces, but I'm just wondering what to expect. We have never cruised NCL before. We've only had interior cabins on the Carnival Fantasy class ships and then only had two people to a cabin. My husband uses a Tilt n' Space wheelchair that is pretty narrow, but it doesn't fold. Any info would be great. Thanks!

We are also booked in this cabin for a July cruise to Alaska and will be able to answer questions when we get back. What info are you looking for? We have stayed in the BB handicapped cabins and have had no problems, but decided to try the AF for the Alaska cruise. Our DD is handicapped in a wheelchair.

We had this cabin on a five day Pacific Coastal...there were two of us and it was just fine.....the entry door is wide enough to accomodate a regulation wheelchair as is the bathroom door (no lip)...wheel in shower.

The exit to the balcony is ramped and the balcony is spacious enough for the WC.

Note, though, that the sofabed is a ROCK. The cabin is also across the hall from the steward's closet, so expect a little noise.

As HC cabins go, it's really nice. It feels like a "penthouse" without the special services.

We have cruised twice this year on the Gem and it has the same cabin setup as the Pearl. For our first cruise in March, we had balcony Cabin 9650 and three weeks ago we cruised in cabin 8098. Only one thing to say about that.... NEVER downgrade your cabin selection from one you have had previously.

Anyway, on the last morning of our most recent cruise, we took a little tour of AFT Cabin 11650 as we have decided to book that one for our next cruise. It is simply AWSOME!

All three cabins 9650, 8098 and 11650 have identical bathrooms with higher toilet, grab bars etc. Only my own customized bathroom at home is better. However, the bathroom is where the similarities end.

My disabilities limit my ability to walk any real distance unassisted. I generally use a walker and sometimes require a powerchair. When we stayed in Cabin 9650, I was using the walker only and when we stayed in Cabin 8098, I was using a powerchair.

Here are my thoughts on each of the cabins:

9650 (balcony - capacity 3)

1. Great location just off the elevator so no need to navigate hallways.

2. Entrance to main room is blocked by a steel column which may make entering the room awkward for some depending on their equipment.

3. Wheelchair ramp to the balcony is adequate though narrow.

4. Just large enough to be functional for three but a pretty good size for two. I would estimate that it is about 50% larger than a typical balcony cabin.

8098 (obstructed view window - capacity 4)

1. This HC cabin should be for two persons only. It is small but could work for just two. When the cabin is set up for four, there is literally only about 12 inches on each side of the bed to get in. In addition, the bunk hangs above and across the head of the two beds that are put together to make a double. Between ducking under the bunk to get in and trying to get up the 12 inch entry on the side, it was just about impossible for me. I had to start sleeping across the bottom of the double bed. It was short but at least I could get on and off the bed.

2. There are some plumbing issues with this room, in fact, according to our steward the same problem exists with the other sideways HC rooms on that floor. The sewer gases back up and fill the bathroom. It is quite noxious and when we contacted the desk to get help with it, the plumber poured water down the shower drain. Apparently, the way the plumbing is designed for these cabins, the water that needs to be in the trap to block gases backing up, gets sloshed out by the movement of the ship. Shortly after the plumber 'fixed' the problem by pouring water in the shower drain, it began again, so we 'fixed' it ourselves by letting the water in the shower run slowly into the drain for the duration of the trip.

Cabin 11650 (mini suite capacity 4)

This cabin has an open entry (no columns) and is very large. It seems to be almost twice the size of the regular mini suites. This is the only cabin we will book for the future as I will be able to take my powerchair right into the cabin and I will be able to enter and exit the bed in comfort.

I have heard what the previous poster said about the pullout bed being very hard. Perhaps, if you need to use the pullout bed, you could ask the cabin steward to add two or three extra pads to the surface. Since I have spinal problems, the stewards have done that for me on the bed and it has made a big difference.

Have a wonderful cruise!

WinterSky

I think it will work fine. After reading everyone's comments, I'm really excited about this cabin. Like I said we're pretty flexible although DD will probably complain about the sofa bed being hard. We usually find separating the bed into twins gives us more room, but not sure how that would work in this cabin. Now just a year to wait for the cruise.

Eileen, if you think of it, please post after your Alaska cruise and let me know how you liked the cabin.

I will be happy to report back after the cruise, George.

Skywinter, the room attendants will be happy to cover the sofa with an eggcrate topper that makes it much better. We also always arrange to have the sofa left made up as a bed and it is easier for our DD to use.

I wrote a review of the Pearl this past October. It was written with a Handicapped cruiser ( my mother) in mind. We have had the opportunity to be in both handicapped mini suites at the aft of the Pearl. They are both very accessible. If you read the review, you will find out many tips to help you in your cruise. We actually found the pull out couch very comfortable! You will enjoy the space in the cabin. You will also find the ship very accessible.

Enjoy - we did!

Hi, there. Glad you enjoyed the review. I hoped that it would encourage people in wheelchairs to consider cruising - it is really a great way to see the world!

I watched the prices on the Norwegian web site. Each time I saw a price drop, I called our Norwegian Travel Consultant (we booked directly), and he dropped the price. After our first cruise with Norwegian they sent us an offer for a cabin upgrade. It really did not apply to a mini suite, but I sent it in anyway, and they gave us a $100 OBC. We really saved a bundle by watching the prices up until final payment. Try it - they can only say no, but I bet you they won't!

The Pearl really is a lovely ship. The crew were really helpful to us. You will find it a truly pleasurable experience.

If you have any other questions - ask away!

while we are on this subject has anyone seen the cabin next to 11650 which is 11654 it is identical or what, on the deck plan it looks like the ship curves a bit and that there may actually be more square footage in 11654 than 11650.

Has anyone stayed in or seen in 11654?

also for those that stayed in 11650 how much vibration did you feel back there and how hard is it to make it down the hall to the elevators from back there?

I stayed in a stern HC cabin on the Celebrity Summit and it had a LOT of vibration and those halls were narrow and hard to get through.

Another question it appears that right above these cabins is and eating area. how much noise from chairs scrapping etc. did you get?

also is this a good location for seeing the scenary on an Alaska trip?

We have stayed in both 11650 and 11654. The difference is in the configuration of the cabin. They are mirror images of each other. I can't say that we saw any difference in the size. The balcony in 11654 is a little bigger, because the one in 11650 is slightly curved at one end because it is the last aft balcony. There is plenty of room for a wheelchair on both.

Although the Great Outdoors cafe is just above, we only heard a small amount of movement early in the morning. It really didn't bother us at all! The passageways were usually clear to get to the aft elevators. If there were carts in the way they were always removed, with a cheerful smile. The only time it became onerous was when the luggage was in the hallways.

Remember that one of the perks for the handicapped guest is the card entry to the middle aft elevator. That will take you directly to deck 6, and the accessible entrance to the Summer Palace restaurant! Your card will be swiped at the Guest Services desk.

The aft balcony would be a terrific place to view the wonderful sights of Alaska!

Have fun!

We have stayed in both 11650 and 11654. The difference is in the configuration of the cabin. They are mirror images of each other. I can't say that we saw any difference in the size. The balcony in 11654 is a little bigger, because the one in 11650 is slightly curved at one end because it is the last aft balcony. There is plenty of room for a wheelchair on both.

Although the Great Outdoors cafe is just above, we only heard a small amount of movement early in the morning. It really didn't bother us at all! The passageways were usually clear to get to the aft elevators. If there were carts in the way they were always removed, with a cheerful smile. The only time it became onerous was when the luggage was in the hallways.

Remember that one of the perks for the handicapped guest is the card entry to the middle aft elevator. That will take you directly to deck 6, and the accessible entrance to the Summer Palace restaurant! Your card will be swiped at the Guest Services desk.

The aft balcony would be a terrific place to view the wonderful sights of Alaska!

Have fun!

I am very glad to hear that the elevator card system is working on the Pearl. They have this system in place on the Star and NO ONE including the Hotel manager, Knew about it and it turns out they never turned on the system. I spent a week having to take several elevators and change floors in order to get to deck six. They are now very aware of it and I hope they follow through with getting the system working. Do you remember are the beds in those cabins cross wise to the ship or lengthwise to the ship? thanks.

Beside the middle elevator doors (aft), in the hallway, there is a key slot. A handicapped passenger can take his or her keycard down to the Guest Services desk, and have that card swiped to enable that passenger to take advantage of the express elevator service. There is only one elevator on the Pearl that offers this service, and it is the middle aft elevator. The key slots are on every deck from twelve to six.

By placing your key in the slot you are able to call the elevator, and it will take you directly to the sixth deck where you have wheelchair access into the Summer Palace restaurant. If you don't use this elevator, you have to take one of the others to the seventh floor, and then you have to switch elevators to gain that wheelchair access, ( the Summer Palace main access is down a flight of stairs from the seventh floor).

We used this elevator often, and never had to wait. It was a real plus for us, and one that helped us in our decision to book the Pearl for a second trip!

Happy New Year!

• 5 months later...

Archived