Will I have time to do anything in Miami?

sjram

We will be travelling to Miami from California for the cruise. Our flight does not leave Miami until 6 pm to return home. From all that I have read, debarkation is really early. Will there be any time to do anything in Miami that day before heading to the airport. We have never been to FL before and would love to see a little rather than going straight to the airport to wait all day long. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do during that time frame? Or am I being a little too optimistic that we will have as much time as I think we do? Is there anywhere we could go to get a nice lunch and relax for a few hours? What transportation should we take? Thanks!

Rent a car and head to South Beach for the day. Most rental car companies offer free pick up at the port and take you to the rental location. Then its just a shot 15-20 minute drive back over to South Beach for the day. Lots of restaurants, public beach areas and tons to see. SoBe is definitely a place to see, we loved it in October!!!

Oh and you will definitely have time to do stuff before heading to the airport, I would suggest starting to make your way back around 300pm to ensure you have enough time to miss any traffic, drop off the car and get to the terminal.

Thanks for your help. This is our first trip without our 4 kids! We are looking to take advantage of doing as much stuff as we can that we would not usually get to do with so many kids with us. Can't wait :D

We took the Sea Aquarium tour through Carnival. Our flight didn't leave until 4:45 and although it isn't exactly SeaWorld, it was interesting and better than sitting in the airport all day. They held our luggage on the bus and we got to the airport 2 hours before our flight.

We will be travelling to Miami from California for the cruise. Our flight does not leave Miami until 6 pm to return home. From all that I have read, debarkation is really early. Will there be any time to do anything in Miami that day before heading to the airport. We have never been to FL before and would love to see a little rather than going straight to the airport to wait all day long. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do during that time frame? Or am I being a little too optimistic that we will have as much time as I think we do? Is there anywhere we could go to get a nice lunch and relax for a few hours? What transportation should we take? Thanks!

We had late flights for two cruises that sailed out of Miami. We did the Art Deco tour the first time. We had free time to walk around South Beach and do a little shopping. Probably the best choice if you want to relax and have time for a leisurely lunch. That's what we did after checking out South Beach. We took the Everglades tour the second time. We rode a hydra-boat and saw some really neat wildlife. They were both great ways to spend the afternoon. Our luggage was under the bus, so we didn't have to worry about that at all. Then the bus took us right to the airport, another thing to not worry about.

Here's what I found on the Carnival Shore Excursion link:

Art Deco Tour w/ FLL Airport Transfer

Description: Take a tour one of the most unique and exciting places in the world, South Beach and its historic Art-Deco District. Full Details

Duration: 3 Hours

Pricing: Adult: Sold Onboard Only Child: Sold Onboard Only

Art Deco Tour w/ MIA Airport Transfer

Description: Take a tour to one of the most unique and exciting places in the world, South Beach and its historic Art-Deco District. Full Details

Duration: 3 Hours

Everglades Tour w/ MIA Airport Transfer

Description: Experience the thrilling adventure of exploring South Florida's unique ecosystem. Full Details

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Interactive Fun & Learning at Children's Museum

Description: Children of all ages will enjoy this fun-filled day at the Miami Children's Museum. Full Details

Duration: 4 Hours

Jungle Island Tour w/ MIA Airport Transfer

Description: Experience flocks of flamingos surrounding a tranquil lake, lush walking trails winding through vine covered arbors and powder white beaches. Full Details

Miami Seaquarium w/ MIA Airport Transfer

Description: Enjoy a day of adventure and excitement for the entire family at the Miami Seaquarium. Full Details

Not sure if Carnival offers it but you can find it online, the swamp boat tour in the everglades is a fun experience.

Yes, there is an Everglades excursion offered by Carnival; it's not bad but you are still going to have a lot of time left at the airport.

There's the Miami Science Museum. Home of the PBS "Star Hustler" guy with the Space Transit Planetarium. (if the kids are interested in that kind of thing).

It would require a rental car..but the Coral Castle is south of Miami, a hourish drive. I forget the travel time..but a very interesting place and you get to see a bit of 'glades. The man built it himself..just how, remains a mystery. There's also Monkey Jungle in Miami.

Of course there is the Deco tours etc. I'd strongly suggest if you do a rental car drop off your luggage when you get your rental, and secure your carry ons in the trunk. If you rent GPS be sure to remove the suction cup thing and wipe down the window so it doesn't say "HEY! GPS IN CAR, WE'RE TOURISTS"

I have lived in Miami now for 47 of my 50 years. If you can, and must, do something, I would suggest South Beach. It is, after all, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world...so says the Travel Channel! :D Seriously, though, depending on how much luggage you have with you, I would either take a tour bus, or perhaps rent a car for half-a-day and then just drop it off at the airport. To take a flight back to the West that leaves at 6, I would try to head on out to the airport by 3:00. This will probably be a Saturday or Sunday so you won't be looking at rush hour traffic, but traffic in the Miami-Miami Beach area can be quite hectic on weekends, and getting out of Miami Beach through the Venetian Causeway can be rough (this is assuming you are driving yourself, if you are taking a tour bus, then you don't have to worry about this. If you want to play it safe on time, but don't want to spend unnecessary hours at airport, take a cab out of the port into Bayside Marketplace which is just at the entrance of the port. They have a very nice marina, with lots of shops and you can certainly spend a few hours there (rather than at the airport). There are plenty restaurants there too. In fact, right across the street you have Bongo's, an upscale Cuban restaurant owned by Gloria and Emilio Estefan. The restaurant has an amazing view of the Miami skyline, including downtown Miami and the Port of Miami (from afar) and the food is very good. Good luck.

Archived