How does one

HighSeaslover

How does someone FALL off a ship. I don't get it......?? Please explain.. to me that would be like falling off a plane!

I am not including those that jump, or are helped off the side.

I think most jump, or are helped off, either by another person or a large amount of alcohol and/or drugs.. I seriously doubt that there has ever been a sober person who has fallen off a ship without any shenanigans being involved.

I always wondered that myself. I thought the only way to go overboard was to purposely jump or with someone giving the push.

Until I saw something a few years ago.....

My friend and I were up on Panorama deck aft. There was a guy standing at the railing, really, really drunk. Yelling at an imaginary someone out in the ocean, flipping them off.

He was so drunk that when he used both hands to flip the bird, his upper body leaned waaaay over the rail.

We decided not to go up to him....we didn't know if he'd get violent or not. Just then, we saw a Carnival employee come up and get him.

So I guess being drunk and out of your mind is one way to do it.

I have wondered the same thing I am 6 foot tall and i do not see how somebody could just fall over the rail even if drunk.

On our second cruise we got a balcony room and while standing at the rail looking down at the beautiful blue water i told my buddy i can see how a person that is intoxicated would jump off into the water.

I was sober and looking down at the water it is so inviting to just jump in.

A person with cloudy judgement might not be able to determine that if i jump I can't get back on the ship.

It makes me sad to see this more and more and I hope the cruise lines don't start building higher railings to counter the problem.

I agree with everyone here that alcohol or "help" has got to be a factor. Either way, it's sad when it happens. I'm not a lush by any means, but one nice thing about a cruise is the idea that if you do get crazy drunk while partying, then you don't have to drive home. Stumbling to your cabin is a pretty safe way to get smashed. Climbing on the railing... not so much.

Happy (and SAFE) cruising!

~Tammy :)

Someone on another cruise message board posting a pic of someone drunk STANDING on the rail of their balcony. What are people thinking who do this?? I guess they are too drunk to think.

I think it's a big reason RCL is so tough on booze smuggling after a lawsuit that it was their fault for not stopping someone who smuggled.

Someone on another cruise message board posting a pic of someone drunk STANDING on the rail of their balcony. What are people thinking who do this?? I guess they are too drunk to think.

I think it's a big reason RCL is so tough on booze smuggling after a lawsuit that it was their fault for not stopping someone who smuggled.

Yeah and what about the idiot taking the picture! This is why lions eat there cubs!! :eek:

Karen, FL :cool:

I have wondered the same thing. Looked at the rail and leaned on it to see how someone could "fall" of accidentally. I for one do not think you can "fall" off. If you are drunk and climb the rail, then ok, but you didn't just "fall" off, you climbed the rail and short of putting glass around all rails, or barbed wire, how can those "accidents" be prevented?

I do agree tho that the water is very inviting. Just sad that some are just not in their right minds and cause so much pain for everyone.

There have been a number of people rescued after going overboard. And there have been a number caught on tape going over and lost. But there are NO cases of anyone FALLING off a ship while engaged in any normal activity.

The rescued and taped, ALL either jumped. Or were drunk and climbing on railings, or just stupid and climbing on railings. NEVER a "TRIP" and fell off.

Of course, the bulk of cases are unknown, but I suspect they follow the pattern of the known problems.

Dan

And what about people who buy too many drinks on the ship and become intoxicated? Or have their spouse or friends buy the drinks? Smuggling booze has nothing to do with falling overboard. :rolleyes:

I saw a guy going from one balcony to another and then another on one of my cruises. He did this by climbing on the railing and going around the balcony dividers.

This, of course, is how an idiot "falls" off a ship.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity!

Drunk or sober, there are very few ways to go over the side of a modern cruise ship:

1. Doing "stupid" by sitting on the railing, climbing from balcony to balcony, straddling the rail --- or some other simpleminded act.

2. Being picked up and pushed or thrown.

One cannot accidently "fall" overboard....

I always feel so bad for the families when someone ends up in the drink. But, I get hot under the collar when some of these same families try to lay the blame on the cruise ship.

Archived