Indian Ocean Ports

Paul&Kathy

We are going on the Costa Europa from Mauritius in February and have done a lot of research about the ports but struggling with some of the less visited ones. If anyone has experience of any of the following I would be most grateful, in particular where the ship docks in relation to the towns, whether local transport is available if needed and whether it is practical to walk around on our own.

Nosy Be (Madagascar) - would like to go to Nosy Komba to see the lemurs and it sounds as though this can be organised on arrival. What should we expect to pay ? The town looks quite close to the port on Google Earth - is it walkable ?

Diego Suarez (Madagascar) - again the town looks quite close to the port, is it a nice place to walk around and is there a beach nearby (Anse Melville looks close on the map ?) ? Has anyone done the "3 Bays" or "Emerald Sea" excursions or visited Ramena beach and if so was it worth it ?

Reunion - we are to dock at the East section of Le Port and it looks very easy to catch a local bus either to St Denis the capital or the other way to the west coast beach resorts - is the bus stop far from the cruise terminal ? And which direction would you recommend ?

Mayotte (Comores)- I can find very little information, any ideas would be much appreciated !

Thank you in advance for any information at all.

I envy you that trip. Enjoy the new agricultural colony of Korea (Korean interests just purchased 1/3 of the farmable land of Madagascar).

May I suggest you post your questions on teh appropriate fora over on tripadvisor.com? You might well get better/more responses there.

They are all under the Africa Forums section.

Hi Paul and Kathy -

Nosy Be - the town (Hell or Hell Ville) is close by and an easy walk. Lots of lovely hand embroidered table clothes for sale. Go early to Nosy Komba - if you go too late the lemurs have all been fed and are up the trees.

The port at Reunion is on a bus line but you may have to wait for a bus - service isn't too frequent and may be non existent if it's a Sunday. If you get off quickly you may be able to get a taxi - there weren't many. Have some Euros for the bus or have the taxi driver stop at an ATM.

Mayotte - we got a taxi tour on the dock and it was a lovely little French island. You probably need Euros there too - check to be sure.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers, Dee

Thanks both of you for your suggestions and I will try tripadvisor. Dorinda, do you remember where you went in Mayotte and approximately what you paid for the taxi ? Was it very mountainous ? (husband hates heights and mountain roads !!) Thank so much.

Archived