Mariner of the Seas Around the Horn of South America

glgolfer

My wife, Judy has created a blog called "Letters to Mama" that her brother or sister will print off to give to her 81 year old mother.

Here's the address: if you're interested you can make it a favorite and read what she has to say during the cruise.

http://www.usatoday.com/community/profile.htm?plckPersonaPage=PersonaBlog&plckUserId=db6bb8cd7443cf6a&UID=db6bb8cd7443cf6a

My wife, Judy has created a blog called "Letters to Mama" that her brother or sister will print off to give to her 81 year old mother.

Here's the address: if you're interested you can make it a favorite and read what she has to say during the cruise.

http://www.usatoday.com/community/profile.htm?plckPersonaPage=PersonaBlog&plckUserId=db6bb8cd7443cf6a&UID=db6bb8cd7443cf6a

Paul...that looks like a great blog. Will check it out for sure.:cool:

How many of you are doing the whole 46 days from your roll calls ?

Close to 200 people are doing the whole 46 days from our roll call. Our roll call was one of the best I've ever been on.

We have heard that 1100 or so are doing all 46. There are over 450 Diamond and Diamond Plus on each leg with over a 100 of that Diamond Plus each leg.

Paul ~ I have bookmarked this link and will stop by to read it. Already looks and sounded very interesting. I can see I will have lots to read between this blog, this CC thread and MM's thread.

How long ago was this sailing open for booking and when did you book?

Close to 200 people are doing the whole 46 days from our roll call. Our roll call was one of the best I've ever been on.

We have heard that 1100 or so are doing all 46. There are over 450 Diamond and Diamond Plus on each leg with over a 100 of that Diamond Plus each leg.

Wow...that is a pretty large group of Diamond and Diamond+ members on the ship.

Sounds like you all are going to have a great time.

Emmy: Bookings opened 27 August 2007 and we booked the second it opened to get a D1 center hump on deck 9. I started the roll call almost immediately and began getting responses immediately.

We were very surprised when RCI started upgrading 3 weeks before the first leg and we ended up being upgraded to the same Grand Suite for all 3 legs. That was a great Christmas present.

Emmy: Bookings opened 27 August 2007 and we booked the second it opened to get a D1 center hump on deck 9. I started the roll call almost immediately and began getting responses immediately.

We were very surprised when RCI started upgrading 3 weeks before the first leg and we ended up being upgraded to the same Grand Suite for all 3 legs. That was a great Christmas present.

Congrats on the upgrade to a GS for all 46 nights. That is quite the Christmas gift.:cool:

I'm planning on it. There should be others from the roll call posting here, too. It'll be intersting to see the different persprctives from Merion Mom, Judy & I and anyone else that posts.

I'll look forward for everyones posts!

Thank you for the link, Paul, I bookmarked it! Happy cruising for you and Judy!

Wow I do recall but did not think it was that long ago and it is here now. I know you are sailing with many friends from past cruises but you will all be like one big family and really get to know your fellow cruisers

So is there a Meet & Mingle per leg of this trip?

Paul, I think I had "chatted" with you before...you used to work at WPAFB, right? I'll be looking forward to reading everyone's posts and please give a hug to Rick and Denice....I sailed with them once before. Safe travels and have a wonderful time!:D

Paul, I think I had "chatted" with you before...you used to work at WPAFB, right? I'll be looking forward to reading everyone's posts and please give a hug to Rick and Denice....I sailed with them once before. Safe travels and have a wonderful time!:D

That's me. I will give them a hug. Looking forward to meeting them.

Well we are in Cocoa Beach..we arrived last night around 7:15 local time. 2,647 miles across this great land..it really amazes me at how beautiful and diverse our country is. We travelled literally from sea to shining sea, through snow, desert, mountains, large cities and small towns..what a trip, it's something I will never forget. Letty

Reno and I leave at 1:00 a.m. on the 4th, to sail on the 4th. Cutting it pretty close. lol Oh, well, we get into Orlando at 11:00 a.m. and the ship leaves at 8:00 p.m. Wish us luck, no weather or flight changes/delays.

All packed and hot to trot.

Can't wait to get on board and met all the wonderful posters to the Around the Horn Thread. We have an inside, for all three legs, got the cabin we wanted on deck 9, close to elevators, midship. We, too, are happy as larks just to be able to take this once in a lifetime trip.

See you all soon.

Doris

Reno and I leave at 1:00 a.m. on the 4th, to sail on the 4th. Cutting it pretty close. lol Oh, well, we get into Orlando at 11:00 a.m. and the ship leaves at 8:00 p.m. Wish us luck, no weather or flight changes/delays.

All packed and hot to trot.

Can't wait to get on board and met all the wonderful posters to the Around the Horn Thread. We have an inside, for all three legs, got the cabin we wanted on deck 9, close to elevators, midship. We, too, are happy as larks just to be able to take this once in a lifetime trip.

See you all soon.

Doris

Wow...........you are cutting it a bit close Doris!! You must like those "red eye" specials!!

Bobbie leaves about12 hours before you.......and can get a bit of sleep in Orlando. But, what the heck........you are still in your 70's....and Bobbie's folks are in their 80's..........so they obviously need more sleep!!

You have Bobbies cabin number!! See you in Valparaiso!!

Rick

Paul,

I remember on the Horn cruise having some issues with possible weather forecast

I once sent my friend Dileep the weather report to his ship e-mail. Well there was an automatic notification that woke him up with the telephone telling him he had e-mail.

Scared him half to death since that was his emergency notification procedure. Won’t do that again.

On our horn cruise there were rumors that we would not be going around the horn because of bad weather. This was false since we had the best weather on the horn that they had seen in 30 years.

. I was wondering if it would be any help if I posted the weather forecast on this thread for different ports. I can’t see the Horn, but I have Punta Arenas and Ushuaia

Just a thought. You may feel this is not necessary since the ship usually puts weather reports in their bulletin.

Scapel - I appreciate the offer, but we have weather underground as our home page (live in Florida with hurricanes) and have all the ports as a favorite. We'll have the laptop along and be watching the 5 day forecasts for each port as we approach them.

I will probably post the forecasts on the message board. We have our own stationary with the Hornblower logo in it

DAY SIX, FRIDAY 2 JANUARY 2009

Judy gets a haircut today. It’s always what I call the GlanLakes golf ladies haircut. Short and easy to take care of. Most of the lady golfers here have pretty much the same cut.

One last grocery stop for vittles for dinner tonight. Patrick & Daryl and Roger & Ivan will be here this afternoon. We cruised with them on a Navigator transatlantic in 2007. Menu for tonight is smoked salmon, asparagus, potato salad, rolls and sweet potato pie.

We’ll be making the final decisions on what clothes to take today. Everything will be on the portable racks or the family room table. We’ll check everything off the list and be ready to pack tomorrow.

All bills are set up in epay with the dates and amounts.

Preparing final lists for onboard activities.

Hearing from folks that are arriving in Florida or in transit. There are some brave souls traveling the day of the cruise. Since the ship doesn’t leave until 2000, they should have no problem getting there in time.

Paul: How about a few photos of that fine dinner you're having tonight? Weather cleared up a bit here at our house, now 27 degrees with no smell of snow in the air - *lol* - Tons of people to thank for making all sorts of contributions to the success of this thread and incredible sea journey. Many thanks. Paul: You have done an outstanding job of organizing, categorizing, listing and planning for this wonderul and diverse group of Hornblowers. We applaud you with a gracious and heartfelt THANK YOU! See you in Rio.

thank_you_10db.jpg

Archived