How many pairs of shoes is enough?

jeffrub

The secret to this argument is not letting your wife acquire that many pairs of shoes in the first place. You have to put your foot down (or start throwing them away).

For our last 14 day cruise, I took 2 pairs (my usual every day shoes and a pair of sandals). If I can get away with 2, frankly there's no excuse for a woman to need more than 4, and that's already 2 pairs too many :). (My everyday shoes look just fine with a suit IMHO. I'd be willing to grant someone a third pair for formal nights if their everyday shoes aren't adequate).

I've had exactly 2 people say my shoes weren't reasonable. My wife, and the tailor adjusting my suit.

The secret to this argument is not letting your wife acquire that many pairs of shoes in the first place. You have to put your foot down (or start throwing them away).

For our last 14 day cruise, I took 2 pairs (my usual every day shoes and a pair of sandals). If I can get away with 2, frankly there's no excuse for a woman to need more than 4, and that's already 2 pairs too many :). (My everyday shoes look just fine with a suit IMHO. I'd be willing to grant someone a third pair for formal nights if their everyday shoes aren't adequate).

I've had exactly 2 people say my shoes weren't reasonable. My wife, and the tailor adjusting my suit.

Whoa....did you actually say "not letting your wife". I for one work just as hard as DH, and he has more than two guns, more than two fishing poles, etc.. and I wouldn't dream of telling him he couldn't spend his hard earned dollars on what he wants. Just as he would never say I couldn't buy more shoes...or whatever I would want more than two of. I think my DH agrees that something as simple as a few dozen pairs of shoes, brings me some kind of happiness :)(weird as that may seem to some) what is the harm?

I hope you get to keep both pair of your shoes in the divorce. :D:D:D

I couldn't help but remember this thread when I was at the airport yesterday. My DH and I were checking in our luggage and OF COURSE mine came in at 52 lbs while his was a smug 44 lbs. Fortunately, we had a very nice and understanding airline agent who said "Oh, it's always the shoes!" so I transfered over two pairs into my husband's luggage.

And though he may be smug he would never in a million years tell me I have too many shoes. Nor would I tell him he has too many tools (which gather more dust than my shoes, I might add). I guess we've foung the secret to a long, happy marriage.

This is a hard one. I only own 6 pair of footware. The Army gave me three of them. Tan Combat boots in (1pr hot weather 1pr cold weather) 1pr of black Jump Boots, 1 pr running shoes, 1 pair low quarters, 1 pr shower shoes.....I take it that civilians call thes "Flop Flops".

So to answer the question.....I guess my wife will have to do some shoe shopping for me......since I am not taking any of the above on the ship....

But I am sure I will only take 2 pair of anything.....(If you bring it you CARRY it) Thats my family motto and we live by it.

Travel light folks!!

I hope you get to keep both pair of your shoes in the divorce. :D:D:D

LMHO! :D

7 pair of shoes may seem like a lot, but it isn't. Even if the shoes are the right color for the outfit, the heel height or style might be all wrong. Even the material of the shoe might be wrong - I got into this dilemma looking at what shoes I should pack for a black crushed velvet skirt/top. It just isn't going to work with the black patent sling backs I was planning to bring for more casual outfits. I am hoping to get by with 7 or 8 pair, but the degree of compromise involved is "harshing my mellow." :p

OK- Hear it goes, I can admit it I have a shoe problem!! There I said it, I have 376 pair of shoes, my DH converted one of our spare bedrooms into a shoe room. On our last Princess cruise I brought 27 pairs of shoes and I wore all of them. I pack them in my carry on luggage, my philosophy is who cares if my luggage is lost but don't mess with my shoes. One year we went to Vegas with several couples, I had my friends DH carry my carry-on case. He put my suitcase on the x-ray machine and every line was temporarily shut down so all the attendants could come over and count how many pair of shoes could fit in one carry-on case (17). My friends husband was embarrassed b/c he thought that they thought he was odd:rolleyes: because he had womens shoes. Told everyone that it was not his suitcase. My DH is wonderful he doesn't mind my shoe addiction. I will use his carry-on to pack my shoes as well.

So to the OP NO 7 pair of shoes is not to many.

Holy Heck and I thought I had a lot of shoes (about 110 pairs and counting)!

DH and I have a (7 day) cruise coming up where there will be lots of costume parties so I'll probably be bringing enough shoes to change 3 or 5 times each day.

We did build a second closet in our bedroom for (just my) clothes and I do need a third shoe rack built. My DH is just as responsible for adding to my shoe collection; whenever he sees a cute pair of stilettos, sexy pumps or boots that could go with one of my outfits HE BUYS THEM (I am truly blessed).

Lucky for me HE packs light so I can use the room in his bag for my shoes!

Holy Heck and I thought I had a lot of shoes (about 110 pairs and counting)!

DH and I have a (7 day) cruise coming up where there will be lots of costume parties so I'll probably be bringing enough shoes to change 3 or 5 times each day.

We did build a second closet in our bedroom for (just my) clothes and I do need a third shoe rack built. My DH is just as responsible for adding to my shoe collection; whenever he sees a cute pair of stilettos, sexy pumps or boots that could go with one of my outfits HE BUYS THEM (I am truly blessed).

Lucky for me HE packs light so I can use the room in his bag for my shoes!

Got to love a good husband who knows good shoes.

OK- Hear it goes, I can admit it I have a shoe problem!! There I said it, I have 376 pair of shoes,

Can you even walk past a shoe store without going in to buy a pair? :eek::eek:

Hopefully your husband has a foot fetish.

Just read this thread and it made me chuckle, came back off our last cruise with clothes & shoes that Heather had not worn at all!

8 pairs last time, she has cut back to 7 this time!

'Plenty of room in your case' I now know why she insisted on me buying a bigger case than I thought I needed;)

She may not know how to travel light but she allways looks lovely:) which is why I am having a giggle about it and not a moan.

Can you even walk past a shoe store without going in to buy a pair? :eek::eek:

Hopefully your husband has a foot fetish.

No I can't, I try not to go to the mall because I just can't say no to shoes, and YES my husband loves my shoes;)

I totally understand 7, or even more. First exclude the flip flop, tennis shoes and evening heels, for the special reasons. Okay...now what to take. Well, sure you could take just black, brown, beigh sandals. But what if you are wearing shorts that day that call for the perfect sandal, then want to switvh to a pretty dress that night that you can't wear black, brown, or beigh. Try accessorizing for 10 days with 7 shoes. Not easy.

I find that on vacation I normally don't have the heels, but I have plenty of light weight short heeled/low heeled sandals. I bet I take 8 shoes in all. I try to wear my tennis shoes on the plane to help with the luggage weight.

I agree! You can never have too many shoes. I have tons and tons of them. Flat ones, low-heeled ones, high-heeled ones, tennis ones, golf ones, boots (flat, low and high-heeled), you get the picture! I just can't seem to have enough shoes, I LOVE them!:D I get bored of them really quick and then I give them to my friend's charity. I never pay more than $40 and usually I only pay $5-$15. I shop at Payless, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc., so the DH is lucky I'm not the type that has to have designer shoes only!:eek: I'd guess I have about 200 pairs of shoes right now, not counting the 26 pair I just bagged up for my friend's charity.:D

Guess what though, I only take about 6 pair for a 7-day cruise.;) Opps! I just counted the shoes I plan to take on our cruise in April and I actually have 12 pair!:eek:

Don't get me started on how many purses I have and how many I take on my cruise!!!!!

I always shop and pack for hte cruise so as needing the least number of pairs possible - I have 2 pairs of nice shoes I can wear with any of the nicer/formal clothes for dinners, 1 tennis shoes, 1 flip flops, 1 sandals to walk around in with shorts or whatever. So that is 5. I figure if I can fit it in my bag, I can take it. If not, figure something else out.

I realize how important it is to accessorize properly for the women in our lives, but how do you tell your wife that 7 pairs of shoes are too many to pack for a 10 day cruise?:eek::eek:

Young man, your wife can never have or pack enough shoes for a cruise of any length.

Imelda Marcos

I always shop and pack for hte cruise so as needing the least number of pairs possible - I have 2 pairs of nice shoes I can wear with any of the nicer/formal clothes for dinners, 1 tennis shoes, 1 flip flops, 1 sandals to walk around in with shorts or whatever. So that is 5. I figure if I can fit it in my bag, I can take it. If not, figure something else out.

That is exactly what I pack, too!:)

Archived