Question on Captain Marvin's Tour...

dassus

We are going to be in GC in January. I am going to book with Captain Marvins but I am debating between the half day tour and the full day tour. I love the sound of looking for Conch shells, but do you actually find them? If you find them, do you get to keep them?

Has anyone ever done this full day tour and can give me a recommendation? I don't know if the Conch shells are worth the extra money.

Thanks!

We were on the half day and one of the kids onboard found a conch shell while snorkeling. They helped the boy clean it up on the boat and discussed how the conch lives, what it feeds on, etc.

Not sure if finding conch happens often on the half day trip vs. the full day. It was the first time we saw this happen in 3 trips with Capt. M.

Since they are harvested for food, I don't believe there was a problem taking a "live" shell as there may be on other islands but don't quote me on that. Someone else may know the regulations for GC.

Since they are harvested for food, I don't believe there was a problem taking a "live" shell as there may be on other islands but don't quote me on that. Someone else may know the regulations for GC.

As I understand it, it depends on the time of year. There's a season for conch, similar to deer season in the US, etc. I looked it up, and May through October is closed season, meaning no one may take conch from the waters during that time. Other times of the year there are rules about limits and such.

A full summary of the marine regulations is here:

http://www.caymanislands.ky/activities/envirolaws.aspx

They take the marine laws fairly seriously, so I'd read them over before removing any marine life from its habitat.

Personally, since I don't have enough knowledge to know exactly what's permitted when without looking it up, I tend to follow the old adage: "Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints." :D

Archived