St John Snorkel

Carole444

We're going to be in St John one day in Feb on a cruise. Can anyone recommend a snorkel excursion what we could take for a day or 1/2 day?

Thanks for any help.

The usual answer you will get on this Board will be to take a taxi to either Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay for some great snorkeling and that will be good advice. However, let me give you another idea...especially if your ship is actually stopping at St John. On the left side (as you face the sea) of the ferry pier in Cruz Bay you can rent a small power boat with or without a captain. We have done this with a captain and were taken to a number of great snorkeling locations around the island and snorkeled directly from the boat. It is a little expensive but if well worth the experience.

The company we used was Ocean Runner and if you google "power boat rental cruz bay" you will see their web site.

I'm not aware of any ships that actually stop IN St. John, Bobnatt? Unless it's some kind of charter trip---are there really cruises that go there? That would be amazing, but I rather think it's not possible.

Generally speaking, booking an excursion isn't necessary, unless you WANT the convenience of having someone walk you through all the steps. Otherwise, taxi, ferry, taxi, snorkel, reverse. Much cheaper. There are many threads on this board that can tell you exactly how to "do it yourself".

Cinnamon, Trunk, Hawksnest (although some people find it too rough, it was calm as anything the days we spent there!) are all fun. There are wonderful "rockier" snorkeling beaches on the other side of the island, but it's really too far for a cruise day trip.

You might also look for the day-sails that take you over to St. John. They know all the good snorkel spots, and can get you there quite quickly (and with style!). Hehe.

Sorry I wasn't too much help....but the snorkeling was lovely most of the places I went on St. John. Sea turtles, barracuda, fish of all varieties. Depends on your luck. :)

I'm not aware of any ships that actually stop IN St. John, Bobnatt? Unless it's some kind of charter trip---are there really cruises that go there? That would be amazing, but I rather think it's not possible.

Actually there are a number of ships that stop at St John. The Wind Spirit stops there are a weekly basis during the winter months. Certainly not as busy as St Thomas but there are ships that have St John as a port of call.

The manner in which Carole444 posed the question it appears that her ship will be making a stop at St John.

Thank you both so much for the replies. We are on teh Azamara, and it lists St John as the stop. I was surprised as well, having docked in St Thomas too many times!

Carole

You are very fortunate. It is so much easier to see St John when the ship anchors there rather than dealing with the St Thomas/St John transfers. Really if you are adventuresome rent a power boat with a captain. You will have a great time.

You are very fortunate. It is so much easier to see St John when the ship anchors there rather than dealing with the St Thomas/St John transfers. Really if you are adventuresome rent a power boat with a captain. You will have a great time.

Thanks to you both! I now have a new list of cruiselines to start analyzing---I hate the size necessity that makes St. Thomas the port for most ships. I prefer St. John, so it's nice to know there is that option. :)

We're going to be in St John one day in Feb on a cruise. Can anyone recommend a snorkel excursion what we could take for a day or 1/2 day?

Thanks for any help.

Hi are you on the Az Journey stoppong at St John, if so what date in feb.

We have a day sail booked with Capt Pat www.independence44.us

on 28th Feb Sat why not join us or if a different date I can highly recommend her.

Our sailing is Feb 24th

Join our role call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=878920

• 2 weeks later...

Archived