compressed air ban?

grounded

I just saw in another post where someone remarked that cruise ships may not allow passengers to bring compressed air cylinders on board.

Any one know if there's any truth to this?

I was planning on bringing a 19cf bottle to sling as a bailout (pony) bottle. Because I'm not flying in, I hadn't considered any restrictions on bringing it.

If there is such a ban, the cruise line website might be a better source of information, don't know.

Also, consider contacting the dive operators you plan on using and see if they can fill your pony. That way you could take it with the valve out and not have the compressed air issue to deal with. Or just leave the pony bottle home as you really are unlikely to need it. Nearly all the caribbean dive OP's I've gone diving with make you buddy up during the dive, unlike the west coast dive OP's I've gone out with who are fine solo divers.

If there is such a ban, the cruise line website might be a better source of information, don't know.

Also, consider contacting the dive operators you plan on using and see if they can fill your pony. That way you could take it with the valve out and not have the compressed air issue to deal with. Or just leave the pony bottle home as you really are unlikely to need it. Nearly all the caribbean dive OP's I've gone diving with make you buddy up during the dive, unlike the west coast dive OP's I've gone out with who are fine solo divers.

I agree with Bruce, just leave it at home. No technical diving and there's always lots of buddies if you have a problem. As my instructor says, "Don't be a christmas tree diver (thousand devices dangling from you as you dive)".

Randall

Most cruise lines I have sailed on do not permit compressed air cylinders on board (always in the fine print). I have never had a problem bringing my small Spare Air on board.As being a "Christmas tree diver", I do somewhat agree---only take what you really need.But don't be that diver floating out to sea as the dive boat gets farther and farther away thinking: Darn, I wish I had my Dive Alert air horn and a safety sausage!

Most cruise lines I have sailed on do not permit compressed air cylinders on board (always in the fine print). I have never had a problem bringing my small Spare Air on board.As being a "Christmas tree diver", I do somewhat agree---only take what you really need.But don't be that diver floating out to sea as the dive boat gets farther and farther away thinking: Darn, I wish I had my Dive Alert air horn and a safety sausage!

Ha! :) I always carry my safety sausage on ocean dives after seeing "Open Water". But then again the only compressed air in it is what I blow into it. :p

Randall

OK, call me a christmas tree. I always dive with two masks, two reels, a lift bag, an SMB, several tanks, three lights (one primary and two back-ups) two cutting devices and two bottom timers/depth gauges.

SOMEONE has to keep the local dive shop in business.

n1306024043_62685_8609.jpg

OK, call me a christmas tree. I always dive with two masks, two reels, a lift bag, an SMB, several tanks, three lights (one primary and two back-ups) two cutting devices and two bottom timers/depth gauges.

Can someone say "overkill?" Seriously, one mask, two fins, no lights, no cutting devices, one timer/depth gauge (and the operator will still laugh at you :p). Caribbean diving is like bath tub diving. Unlimited vis, 80 degrees, 30-60 ft. average depth. It's fun! I know I do cold water diving at home and probably carry more equipment than you do but it stays safely at home staying dry while I'm in the Caribbean. :) But feel free to load up as much equipment as you like. We all have to be comfortable with our equipment configurations.

Randall

P.S. I remember diving in Bermuda once with a dive buddy who always dove in cold water who I'd met on the day-tripper boat. He kept checking is compass, trying to keep in mind the coral formations, etc. While I just enjoyed the swim. When we were done diving I pointed ahead and to the left for the boat. He shook his head and pointed behind us and to the right. I shook my head and signaled no. He was about to turn and swim away from me when I grabbed his arm and pointed for him to look up. 50 yds away you could see the shaddow of the boat. He later told me he had never dove in water where you could look up and see anything, let alone a boat that far away. We both smiled. :D

Pony bottles are not needed on a Caribbean dive that does not involve an overhead. Just pay attention to your gauges and you wont run out of air. Improve your skill instead of loading yourself down. And dont get me started on spare airs. They are a great way to run out of air twice on the same dive.:):):)

Steve

Having befriended a couple of Carib' Island dive masters over the years I can tell you that the more equipment you show up with the higher their 'alert meter' goes. A new diver tends to have the most toys.... (I show up with my two hose single stage regulator and they get REALLY scared)

And with regard to (wrt) compressed air whn traveling.....airlines confiscated my CO2 cartridges starting 20 years ago....'course safety vests don't have them any more huh?

Having befriended a couple of Carib' Island dive masters over the years I can tell you that the more equipment you show up with the higher their 'alert meter' goes.

Truer words have never been spoken! That and when everything is color coordinated. Look out!:D:D:D

Truer words have never been spoken! That and when everything is color coordinated. Look out!:D:D:D

Spare Airs are a little better than nothing.My instructor swears by them.I have tested my 3 cubic foot model and I can get up from 60 feet.Spare Air claims 100 feet but I sure don't want to try it.I think I carry mine so I could give it to some nut and get the heck away from them without feeling guilty. I swear by my 19 and 30 foot pony bottles but I don't think I could get them on the ship.

Gosh, most all of my gear is blue too and I have alot of gear for an ocean dive ! That must be why the DM's usually let me dive solo---guess they don't want to fool with me and that is just the way I like it.

Gosh, most all of my gear is blue too and I have alot of gear for an ocean dive ! That must be why the DM's usually let me dive solo---guess they don't want to fool with me and that is just the way I like it.

I'm all black (except for the overkill lift bag, which is orange), so I'm probably screwed.

In light of the fact that I'm not diving with anyone I've ever dove with before, I consider these to be solo dives- regardless of whether there're other divers around me- so I'll dive them as solo dives.

With all due respect steve, a pony bottle is never required on any dive- overhead environment or not. The pony bottle adds redundancy to a single tank dive. If you're planning to breathe off your bottle to extend your bottom time, then it is a stage not a pony. It's not a question of monitoring my gauges, it's a question of being confident that I am a self sufficient diver, with a back-up of every thing I NEED on a dive.

In any event, the trip starts tomorrow. If the cruise line gives me any crap, I'll leave the bottle in my car. Otherwise, I'll be sure to report back (with pictures) next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to be more diligent....

Here's a link to the photo album from the cruise. About half the pictures are underwater shots. The other half, well, typical cruise pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=15778&l=b47ff&id=1306024043

Here's my favorite

n1306024043_282954_7489.jpg

I packed the 19 cf bottle in my mesh dive bag (which obviously contained things like regulators, a BCD, fins,etc.). for the embarkation at Port Everglades, we were told by the agent in front of the terminal that we were required to check all luggage that was larger than an airplane sized carry on (the agent inside agreed that she didn't have a good handle on the rules, but we had already agreed to check everything but our passports and cruise documents to avoid a fight). no one asked any questions, and it didn't appear that anyone had searched the contents of any of our bags.

I will point out that Royal Caribbean's website says that O2 bottles may be stored in a stateroom. With all the old folks on cruises, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the porters and screeners are quite accustomed to seeing compressed air cylinders. Plus, a bottle with air or 32% EAN is a lot safer than a bottle of O2.

Aldora was AWESOME. The owner, Memo (sp?) called me the morning the cruise departed to discuss equipment and dive sites. Since my ship got in at 5:30 local time, I was on a boat with land-based divers. Keep in mind that ships departing from florida post their schedules based on eastern time, not Cozumel time. Therefore, the ship got in earlier than I expected.

When I got to the shop, Memo asked me about the last several dives I had done, and put in one of the two groups he had formed on the boat (which, despite my pony bottle and matching fins, turned out to be the group that had been diving together all week, rather than the group of new arrivals). The surface interval was done at Nachi-cocum resort, which had good food at reasonable prices- no booze, though! Memo met us there for feedback on the first dive and to swap lies. I traveled with a non-diver, who was invited to meet me at the resort for lunch- without having to pay the all-day, all-inclusive price.

The dives were exactly as you would expect- crystal clear water, plenty of sea life and a pretty cool wall dive. The dive masters were very professional, and offered to set up and break down every one's equipment.

Nitrox was available, but since I was not doing multi-day dives, I chose to dive air. I'm embarrassed to admit that while I was diligent on watching my gas management (both dives had 90 minute run times), I was less diligent with my nitrogen and picked up a small unplanned deco obligation. One other diver, the DM and me had the infamously conservative Suuntos and picked up the same obligation.

One note: from Aldora's web site, I got the impression that all of their tanks were configured for 300 bar DIN. Instead, the tanks have the 200 bar thermo valves with the coin sized yoke adapter inserts. So the yoke on your first stage does not need to be removed or reconfigured in the morning before the dive.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feed back. I have about 100 dives under by belt. I need one more for my Advanced Cert. I dive both cold water (NE) and warm water (many dives in Florida). We dive Dry in the cold.

I have had 2 emergency accents. Both Cold Water. One O Ring failure at 80 foot and one frozen valve at 30 foot. My Pony saved my life twice. I probably would have been ok because my dive buddy was only 5 foot away, however since I had my trusty pony on my side I will never know. What could have been a very bad situation turned into a very controlled ascent. My DE was proud both times.

I will be diving with folks I never meet before. Why would I put my life in someone’s hands that I do not know.

I am going to find a cheap bottle at my dive shop, I have plenty of valves at home. If they get my bottle then they get my cheap pony bottle. I have a Whip that allows me to fill my pony off a spare tank.

My DE often says, we used to laugh at folks who wear seatbelts. So is having an airbag and seatbelt in a car stupid?

I am also a member of a local dive and rescue / recovery team. When you dive rescue you dive alone.

Thanks again

I need to be more diligent....

Here's a link to the photo album from the cruise. About half the pictures are underwater shots. The other half, well, typical cruise pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=15778&l=b47ff&id=1306024043

Here's my favorite

n1306024043_282954_7489.jpg

I packed the 19 cf bottle in my mesh dive bag (which obviously contained things like regulators, a BCD, fins,etc.). for the embarkation at Port Everglades, we were told by the agent in front of the terminal that we were required to check all luggage that was larger than an airplane sized carry on (the agent inside agreed that she didn't have a good handle on the rules, but we had already agreed to check everything but our passports and cruise documents to avoid a fight). no one asked any questions, and it didn't appear that anyone had searched the contents of any of our bags.

I will point out that Royal Caribbean's website says that O2 bottles may be stored in a stateroom. With all the old folks on cruises, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the porters and screeners are quite accustomed to seeing compressed air cylinders. Plus, a bottle with air or 32% EAN is a lot safer than a bottle of O2.

Aldora was AWESOME. The owner, Memo (sp?) called me the morning the cruise departed to discuss equipment and dive sites. Since my ship got in at 5:30 local time, I was on a boat with land-based divers. Keep in mind that ships departing from florida post their schedules based on eastern time, not Cozumel time. Therefore, the ship got in earlier than I expected.

When I got to the shop, Memo asked me about the last several dives I had done, and put in one of the two groups he had formed on the boat (which, despite my pony bottle and matching fins, turned out to be the group that had been diving together all week, rather than the group of new arrivals). The surface interval was done at Nachi-cocum resort, which had good food at reasonable prices- no booze, though! Memo met us there for feedback on the first dive and to swap lies. I traveled with a non-diver, who was invited to meet me at the resort for lunch- without having to pay the all-day, all-inclusive price.

The dives were exactly as you would expect- crystal clear water, plenty of sea life and a pretty cool wall dive. The dive masters were very professional, and offered to set up and break down every one's equipment.

Nitrox was available, but since I was not doing multi-day dives, I chose to dive air. I'm embarrassed to admit that while I was diligent on watching my gas management (both dives had 90 minute run times), I was less diligent with my nitrogen and picked up a small unplanned deco obligation. One other diver, the DM and me had the infamously conservative Suuntos and picked up the same obligation.

One note: from Aldora's web site, I got the impression that all of their tanks were configured for 300 bar DIN. Instead, the tanks have the 200 bar thermo valves with the coin sized yoke adapter inserts. So the yoke on your first stage does not need to be removed or reconfigured in the morning before the dive.

Great photos. UCSB, huh? Cal Poly, SLO here.

n1306024043_62685_8609.jpg

Uhm, if you have two masks shouldn't you wear one of them? :p

Uhm, if you have two masks shouldn't you wear one of them? :p

I don't know why he is carrying tanks, since he doesn't seem to need a regulator, either. :p

He must have gills and fish eyes - no idea why he wears any Scuba gear??? :confused::confused:

I'm actually jealous!! ;)

Archived