P & O vs Royal Caribbean

Laura & Andy

:) We are planning our honeymoon for next August, and have found two suitable cruises (I don't like to fly so we need to sail out of Southampton, and our wedding is on 14 Aug, so departure needs to be within a day or two of that). One is with Royal Caribbean, and the other with P & O. Both itineraries are quite similar, and the costs are also quite similar.

We have never cruised before and would really appreciate some guidance or advice from people who have to help us to decide which one to book!

We are both in our mid/late twenties, and are looking at either a superior balcony stateroom or a junior suite. Any thoughts on which we should go for would be much appreciated!

Thanks x

Looking at your age RCI would be your best option, lots to do and people your own age.

A Junior suite on RCI is really just a bigger cabin no suite perks. so save a few pounds and just book a balcony.

No doubt you will have a great cruise whichever line you choose, as you have nothing to compare it too. I'll not book another P&O cruise again their product isn't for me.

Different people, different tastes.

A friend of mine went on Ventura last April, he said it was the best cruise / cruise ship he had ever been on and had a great time. He then went on a RCI cruise around the Med last month.

He came back raving about RCi and how he would never go on P&O again.

Of course, take this with a pinch of salt as it is one persons view. My view is that Ventura is the worst cruise / cruise ship I have been on, so who knows the answer!!!!

I am sure you will have a fun time whatever you choose.

:)

Having sailed with both lines we feel that the main differences between the 2 are size of cabin RCL cabins are bigger, they also seem to have a younger crowd and the ships have a bigger wow feel, food is about the same in the Dining Room, however the B/Fast and Lunch Buffet choices are better on RCL. Although drinks are more expensive on RCL as they add 15% gratuity onto the price whereas P&O do not(a pint costs £2.60p), also RCL changes the Guest Entertainers on a more regular basis.

A JS only gets extra space however a GS gets to use the Concierge Lounge.

We used to cruise with P & O until we experienced cruising with Royal Caribbean and we've never been back to P & O. Weve just got back from Jewel Of The Seas where the Cruise Director was ex P & O for 5 years and he said Royal Caribbean was a far superior company to P & O which we also believe in.The ships are far nicer as well.

RCI gets the thumbs up from us as well. We have done one 14 night P&O cruise, compared with 3 RCI and we feel RCI offer a better product than P&O. The main differences in our opinion was the food, style and ambience on board. If you think you may prefer a more 'stuffy', traditional type cruise, with food and entertainment to match then P&O is for you.

Enjoy, whichever you decide.

Bev

I cannot really comment on RCI as I have never travelled with them, but myself and partner went on a 14 night P&O cruise when were were both 24. Its true we were probably the youngest people on the ship who had not travelled with their parents, but we had a great time and met some fantastic people, so don't let the fact P&O is a more traditional cruise line put you off. We are now 30 and are off on another P&O cruise next month with another couple who are both in their early 20's.

We have travelled on Carnival too and had a fantastic experience with them. I would say book whichever suits you best because either way you will have a fantastic time.

Chris

Hi Laura and Andy

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!

We got married last year on the 15 August and delayed our honeymoon until October when we boarded Ventura.

In contrast with Gerrym, we had a great time and enjoyed the ship, with a few reservations, but nothing that would stop us sailing on her again in the future!!

We have only previously cruised with Cunard and so had reservations about cruising another line, but we certainly enjoyed it and are open now to try others. We found the people on board to be lovely, and we couldn't have asked for better dining companions (even though we had a table for two, the tables were quite close together!)

Cant offer any comments with RCI, but if you find the cruise which has the perfect iteniary, but is not just after wedding, delaying your honeymoon is always an option. I'm so glad we did!! We had a few days away just after the wedding, but so glad we waited for the caribbean cruise.

Congratulations again - have a great wedding day and honeymoon!!

Jenni

I know you're only just getting married but - how do you feel about children?!?

Don't worry, this isn't a query about your family plans ;), but rather about the cruise. You want to cruise in mid-August - this means that there will probably be hordes (and hordes and hordes) of children on board your ship.

RCI are specially 'family-friendly' and this is the peak family holiday period for them, so expect the worst!

Several P&O ships will be very similar: Ventura & Oceana especially. Oriana & Aurora do accommodate families but they aren't especially marketed as family ships so there might be fewer children on them. Finally, there's Arcadia & Artemis; these two ships are specifically 'child free' - P&O do not accept bookings for them which include people under 18. Artemis is smaller, cosier, and possibly attracts an especially older-than-average crowd. Arcadia aims to attract a somewhat younger, supposedly more sophisticated crowd; opinions vary as to whether it does or not. Arcadia certainly produces strong reactions, both for and against, and there are regular posters here from each end of the Arcadia spectrum. I haven't been on her (yet - I have plans...); but it occurs to me that Arcadia might be a good choice for a romantic honeymoon, in mid-summer.....

price wise i would choose p&o ships the drinks on board are the same as bar prices here if not cheaper where as rci charge £5 per pint of beer and as for children we have been on oriana xmas and as for kids the kids entertainers were brilliant so rarely saw any as they had so much to keep them entertained hazel

Archived