New Member--First SOLO cruise

JetSet2B

Hi I'm new here! I decided to treat myself to a quick cruise and was worried about being a solo traveller but another forum directed me to this site and I see that I'm in quite good company! I'm doing a 2 day, Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas to the Bahamas. The total is $189. This is a good deal, right? I figured it's quick enough to ease my mind about being alone and being worried about being safe, and it's also not a bad idea to do a shorter cruise since it will be my first one. Do you think I should book it or can I find a better deal? :)

Personally I think its a bit too short for you to really get an idea about cruising. You probably won't even have time to learn your way about the ship before it's time to leave. I'd go with a three or 4 night cruise as a minimum for your first go.

As for the pricing....I think any solo deal for 100 dollars or less a night is a good one. If you don't need to plan way in advance and you want to go Royal Caribbean, then check the Tuesday sales because they often offer reduced supplements....somewhere on the solo boards there's a link. If you want to go Carnival - they offer 1A cabins at a reduced single supplement as well.

Em

Personally I think its a bit too short for you to really get an idea about cruising. You probably won't even have time to learn your way about the ship before it's time to leave. I'd go with a three or 4 night cruise as a minimum for your first go.

As for the pricing....I think any solo deal for 100 dollars or less a night is a good one. If you don't need to plan way in advance and you want to go Royal Caribbean, then check the Tuesday sales because they often offer reduced supplements....somewhere on the solo boards there's a link. If you want to go Carnival - they offer 1A cabins at a reduced single supplement as well.

Em

Thanks Em! I appreciate your feedback. I have until midnight to decide. I know it's short but I thought, it might be better for my first time nerves. :p

Perhaps I might wait until Tues since I can take a weekend cruise just about any time. I will try to find that link for the RC cruise.

Thanks Em! I appreciate your feedback. I have until midnight to decide. I know it's short but I thought, it might be better for my first time nerves. :p

Perhaps I might wait until Tues since I can take a weekend cruise just about any time. I will try to find that link for the RC cruise.

I found the link (knew I had it somewhere)

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/RCI_Sales_Event/rci_sales_event.pdf

I just returned from my first solo cruise (4 day RCCL). I was nervous too but forced myself to do it to see if I liked it. It was fantastic! Best thing I ever did for myself. You meet people on the ship and I never felt lonely. I didn't care much for the formal dinner, however, because my tablemates were late and for a few minutes I thought I'd be sitting at a table of 6 by myself and all dressed up. Next time, I'll eat at the buffet. I agree - 2 days isn't much. The 4 day flew by.

Do you think I should book it or can I find a better deal? :)

My advice would be to go ahead and book it -- as long as you can afford to book a much longer cruise as soon as you get home. I can practically guarantee you'll fall in love with cruising and consider two nights not nearly long enough. Bon voyage!

Caro

Now, I'm looking at that, and it looks like the singles supplements will still be quite high (1.5-2 times the price). I'm new to cruising, but it doesn't seem like a great deal. :confused: Maybe I'm not understanding something?

Unfortunately, the price for cruising solo is often close to cruising for 2. You will not pay double for port charges, but cabins are for 2 people nearly all of the time (remember, solos don't get better rates on hotels either!). Also, the $100 or less per night bargains may actually work out to be bargains if you have to factor in airfare.

I decided to go solo on my first cruise (partially because friends who wanted to cruise kept backing out!) and decided on 5 nights on the Explorer of the Seas out of NJ because I was able to get a bus to the port (no lost luggage on the airlines!!). It gave me plenty of time to find my way around the ship and some time on shore (most of which I spent with a CC friend from my roll call). I had a wonderful time! RCI may be a bit more expensive, but some of the ships have activities (like ice skating) that you will not find on other ships!

I'm now working on deciding on my next cruise - I may just do the same one again!!

Now, I'm looking at that, and it looks like the singles supplements will still be quite high (1.5-2 times the price). I'm new to cruising, but it doesn't seem like a great deal. :confused: Maybe I'm not understanding something?

Generally cruises are quoted double occupancy - and there is always an adder (supplement) if you are going alone. RCL's usual single supplement is 200 percent - so yes, a single pays the same as a couple (less some taxes) for a cabin.

So anything marked less than 200% is actually a good deal with RCL.

For example - the 5 night Navigator of the Seas would be 458 plus taxes/port fees for single occupancy in an inside cabin. Yes, you're paying double what a couple would - but it's still not a bad price.

This next weeks flyer doesn't seem like it's offering much.......

Em

Unfortunately, the price for cruising solo is often close to cruising for 2. You will not pay double for port charges, but cabins are for 2 people nearly all of the time (remember, solos don't get better rates on hotels either!). Also, the $100 or less per night bargains may actually work out to be bargains if you have to factor in airfare.

I decided to go solo on my first cruise (partially because friends who wanted to cruise kept backing out!) and decided on 5 nights on the Explorer of the Seas out of NJ because I was able to get a bus to the port (no lost luggage on the airlines!!). It gave me plenty of time to find my way around the ship and some time on shore (most of which I spent with a CC friend from my roll call). I had a wonderful time! RCI may be a bit more expensive, but some of the ships have activities (like ice skating) that you will not find on other ships!

I'm now working on deciding on my next cruise - I may just do the same one again!!

I'll be doing Explorer on 6/6/09 5 night to Bermuda as my first solo cruise! My friend backed out as well--

Hi I'm new here! I decided to treat myself to a quick cruise and was worried about being a solo traveller but another forum directed me to this site and I see that I'm in quite good company! I'm doing a 2 day, Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas to the Bahamas. The total is $189. This is a good deal, right? I figured it's quick enough to ease my mind about being alone and being worried about being safe, and it's also not a bad idea to do a shorter cruise since it will be my first one. Do you think I should book it or can I find a better deal? :)

I had my first cruise that was a solo. I did a 4 day cruise because I felt that if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be that bad and it would only 4 days but I loved it!!!! You will be fine doing solo just remember to use your head. I am not brave enough to do a tour that is not sponsored thru the ship but some people do and really enjoy it. I didn't worry about not being safe. I think a 2 day cruise might be a bit short but if that is what you feel comfortable with then do that and when you are come back you will be looking for a longer cruise!!! :D You go for it and you will have a wonderful time!!

Cindy

• 3 weeks later...

...but I took my first cruise last Thanksgiving weekend. I picked a short and cheap one for the same reasons already mentioned. I had more fun and consider myself a cruise addict. I too wish the prices were better for singles than they are but even paying double it was still reasonable.

I have my next cruise already scheduled and almost paid for. And I can't wait to get on it.

I think picking a short cruise is really the best idea. If you are going to want to like cruising you want the first cruise to leave you longing for more and not wishing it had ended sooner. :rolleyes:

Welcome to Cruise Addicts Anonymous. Treatment is a slow dose of ongoing cruises until you are weaned. Don't wait for the DT's for your next treatment. :eek:

I'll be doing Explorer on 6/6/09 5 night to Bermuda as my first solo cruise! My friend backed out as well--

Enjoy it! It's fairly easy and safe to get around Bermuda on public transit (just be careful you get back to the Dockyard area before they stop sending the buses out that way!) and alone. Because I sailed so early in the season, there were not any late buses and I was back on the ship before dinnertime. They did have exra buses on published routes from the dockyard in the mornings. Have a blast!

Archived