Do cruise ships dock at a pier or do we tender?

Coolcruise02

Cool,

Can not respond to what is near the pier as we have never been to Martinique. However, this is a very slow board, so I thought I would reply to what I know. We are on the 11-16 QM2 cruise and will be in Martinique on 11-20. Our cruise docs from Cunard state that we will anchor and tender in Martinique.

Also, if there is a pier, is there anything to do close by?

99% of the time you will dock.

There is little by the pier -- it is an industrial area.

It's a LONG, HOT walk into town.

A ships' tour always seems better on this island, especially for first-timers.

Good Luck! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I hate doing tours either from the "boat" or independantly.

What we enjoy when we arrive at different ports is to do a little shopping with the girls then maybe a little sightseeing. Top the day off with a few cold beers and Margarittas preferrably at a beach bar.

Can Martinique can accomodate us?

There are 3 possibilities re: docking in Martinique. There are 2 ports - one as previously mentioned in a rather industrial area. If you dock there, take a taxi into town or elsewhere. The best dock is right downtown. There is a helpful tourist office, tons of taxis and mini-vans. There is also a chance that you may tender in (I think the tenders drop you off downtown but I am not sure). Note taxis are EXPENSIVE but comfortable (most are Mercedes). If it is your first trip to Martinique and you do not speak any French you may want to take a ship's tour. Another possibility is to get together with a few other people and arrange a tour with one of the mini-van taxi tour. We did a 3 hour tour to St Pierre (3 of us + 4 other - it worked out to $25 each). We saw a good part of the island (very lush and beautiful). Personally I would rather see some of the island than hang around in the port.

Archived