Cruising the Pacific Ocean to Hawaii...

JudeeJim

We will be cruising the Pacific in March and I am wondering what type of seas to expect. We did the Eastern Med and it was smooth as glass most of the time. This is our second cruise and I would like to be prepared for rough seas will all the suggested sea sick preventatives.

Judee

We sailed SD to Hawaii in early Apr and had calm seas. The weather warmed up the closed we got to Hawaii. Last three days were got in some pool time. ;)

I posted some of my pictures on webshots and you can get an idea of the "seas" we had on the way over from a couple of them.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/561496583zhPAuP

Honestly seas are not the same day in and day out or year over year. So, you will not know for sure no matter what the experience is of another cruiser.

In general, expect that the first day and a half out from Los Angeles will be on the cooler side and that it will get warmer out on deck as you sail further west. The seas could range from being relatively calm to somewhat rough. Again, no two cruises are the same.

My recommendation is to try to select a cabin that is as mid ship as possible. That is always helpful.

Our last two cruises from Los Angeles to Hawaii were fairly calm including one in March but I know others who cruised in March who did encounter some choppy seas, thus it's better to prepare for the seas to be choppy in terms of cabin selection and whatever medication you may take with you. It's a wonderful cruise with plenty of sea days and beautiful islands to visit.

Keith

I have done the r/t LA <-> Hawaii sailing twice, both times in March, and have had smooth sailing the entire trips.

I also realize that there can be roughness near the CA coast, due to some current that flows there. Many CC posters will tell you they have had rough sailing on cruises leaving LA. And of course, the Pacific can be unpredictable, just like the Atlantic, depending on weather conditions.

Maybe we were just lucky, but have sailed out of LA a total of three times, and had calm seas every time.

We're going again in 2010, and hope for smooth seas again.

500 mg ginger capsules from the health food store worked great for us.

A word of advice, if you're trying Bonine or something similar try it at home first. Our was labeled "non-drowsy" formula, and I couldn't wake up the next morning. I felt like I was drugged; it was a miserable feeling. I only took it once, and I'd have to be extremely seasick to take it again.

Archived