Welcome Home... Galveston/GALAXY Folks

TEXASMUNK

Niblick, Was nice to see you one more time on the ferry. Hope your trip home is going well.

Susie QT: We were in RS 1032, starboard side. Don't know if you will have Challs as your butler but I hope you do. I know he is staying until March. Our friends were port side & had a great butler too, can't remember his name. Challs brought in our breakfast every morning, served tea/coffee & goodies at about 4 pm, appetizers at 5 or so, took our dirty clothes to laundry & delivered it back,etc. He will also leave food goodies in your cabin during tea time/appetizer time if you're not there. These great guys will do almost anything for you, just ask your butler about his duties the first afternoon on board when he visits you. Challs even offered the last full day to help us pack up (never had a butler ask me this before even though it's on the duty list in the brochures) but I politely declined as I was almost finished lol.

Texasgal: Hubby & I worked out in the cabin with our portable sit-up equipment & walking everyday so we never made it to the gym except to use the thalosapphy (someday I'll be able to spell it lol) pool. I highly recommend that although it is a very powerful whirlpool. Our friends worked out almost everyday & we heard no complaints about the equipment from them so the gym must be ok. There were 3 formal nights: 1st full day (at sea), Fri night & Wed. night, all on sea days. All days at port are casual (except for last night on board). Didn't get to informal nights until last part of cruise. And, yes, they do have the daily drink specials.

sprintxbill: the mustard is your typical Heinz yellow mustard.

Hope this helps everyone.

Carol

Just wondering about this - hubby is taking a tux this time, so I hope there will be a good number of tuxes just so he will feel like he's in the majority. What did you notice on your cruise? and while on the subject, since this is our first longer than 7 day cruise, were ladies MORE formal than week cruises or about the usual mix of black anything mostly up to beaded gowns?

A quick question I must ask for every cruise. Do they have "yellow" mustard or should I bring my own. Wife can not stand the brown mustard. :)

I am back from the 11/1/2004 cruise to Panama. You may have to ask one of the waiters for the mustard. They have almost everything.

I still perfer the Carnival Spirit over the Galaxy.

Don't waste your money on the Two Ocean Train in Panama . The bus may be even better.The company did not take us on the guided tour of the locks as published.Friends we meet on ship had a far better tour on the bus.

The best view of the locks was in the ship as it went through the Gutun Locks. The narrarator was great. The information we got from him was great.

It rained while we were in Costa Rica, but we never got wet.When ever we got off the bus the rain stopped. Our tour guide was great.

The tour guide in Tulum brought us to the opening of the ruins and left us on our own.He finally showed up and told us we had 15 minutes. We had to run through the ruins.

The tour guide in Costa Maya was extremelt knowledgeble,also the one in Jamacia (Negril).

Costa Maya and Costa Rica were my favorite ports. Only because I have been to the other ports numerous times and knew what I wanted to do there.

I will comment on the ship when I can carefully reflect on my comments.

Cely

Decided on this excursion for 11/25 trip partly because the domed car excursion was sold out. From what you are saying, I may be better off. It is a PRICEY excursion , however, and i hope it will be worth it1 I would LOVE to hear from any recent Galaxy cruisers who may have done this excursion!

I think one of the best places to get info on the excursions is to go to Ports of Call...there has been much discussion on the dome train. I've heard it's a good tour. Although it is sold out on the web site I was told there would be openings once you get on the ship.

I too, want to hear all the news from the latest Galaxy cruise, so get those reviews ready! Thanks for all the info so far.

And Fireguy, if that's your opinion of that other cruise line, it looks like you're booked on the right cruise for this spring. Speaking of that cruise, have you bumped our roll call thread lately? We must be on page 10 by now.

Lisa

We are going on Galaxy in Feb. I understood the Galaxy sails at least partway through the canal and we were planning to stay on the ship for the transit. Why did you need to go on a train?

What exactly was your itin.? The one listed for our 11-day cruise says Cozumel, Costa Maya, Canal, Puerto Limon, and Grand Cayman. Did you go to either of the Mex. ports? Was your cruise a 12-day? I couldn't find it in the list from the Summer 2004 Captain's Club bulletin.

I checked out the excursions last week and have narrowed my choices. I'm hoping to book:

Cozumel--Catamaran Sail, Snorkel and Beach Party

Costa Maya--Beach Snorkel

Costa Rica--Pontoon Jungle Ride

Grand Cayman (if we stop there)--Stingray City snorkeling

We've been to Coz. and GC before and did other excursions.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02

Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03

Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03

Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04

Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05

Kathie, I was just off the first PC Galaxy also, along with Cely & many other CC board members. This cruise is a partial transit meaning that the ship will go through the 3 Gatun Locks & then turn around in Gatun Lake, tender the excursion people off to their tours & then go back through the same locks to Cristobal Pier in Colon, Panama. Many of us took the train to see the rest of Panama & the Canal, although you do not go into Panama City, just the environs. We were supposed to stop at another lock to see the actual workings. Somehow that part of the train excursion was left out, maybe due to the rain we got that day. I really thought that we'd see more of the canal but the train path went more inland with only occasional views of the canal. If we ever go again we will definitely take another excursion that allows more scenes of the actual canal. I will say that the train was alot of fun as we saw alot of the countryside of Panama. If you choose to stay on the ship you'll just see the very first part of the Canal meaning the Gatun Locks & a very small part of the lake. Many people did stay on the ship.

We didn't do any other excursions on the cruise; wish now we had booked one in Costa Rica as we wound up staying on the ship all day due to the rain. All we saw was the port but this was our fault as we didn't book an excursion.

The Galaxy is wonderful; we absolutely loved her! And as we live 1 1/2 hrs from Galveston getting to the ship & back home was very easy. We would definitely sail her again! Have a great time in Feb!

Carol

Chessbriar, You won't get off the ship prior to going thru the locks. We were scheduled to go through at 7 am but the Canal execs (or whoever makes the schedules at the Canal) brought us in at 6 am. HAL's Rotterdam entered about 7 as they were 2 ships behind us. Fortunately my body felt a difference in the ship movement & woke up just in time! We were tendered off the ship at about 9 am. So no getting off prior to the entrance into the Gatun Locks.

Carol

Chessbriar, The CD is named Eric (sorry, can't remember his last name). He was very visible throughout the ship & very nice looking. Several of the cruisers thought the daily schedule of activities was a little disorganized but I also heard he was promoted quickly to CD because of an illness of the CD or Hostess, never got the real story. He is very new to his job but I thought he was trying very hard to please everyone. I'm sure he'll improve as time goes on but actually I liked him alot.

Angela or Angelina is the Asst CD, very friendly, we only saw her at Bingo. I wasn't as impressed with her as I didn't think she had much personality but that's just my opinion. There was a guy named Neal, a Brit, on Eric's staff, who was absolutely hysterical. I really enjoyed him! He called Bingo one day but I guess some of the pax complained about his deep accent & he never called it again (although he was around Bingo the whole time); I was a little disappointed because I thought he was very entertaining!

Carol

In answer to an earlier question about the safety of Limon. We have been there twice and are on the Xmas sailing. We were also told not to roam around town. What a crock. The little park across the street was wonderful and the kids (for a tip) will show you the sloth and other things. The town is not really pretty, but definately NOT dangerous. The first trip we did was torugereo. Good trip and great guide. The next year, we set up our own trip to Cahuita N.P. What a wonderful place. This year we are planning the Arenaul and hot spring trip. Sounds fun.

We were also told to stay out of Colone in Panama. One look at it from the bus and we understood why. Good advice I am afraid. First town I was not willing to enter other than Belize City. Belize was really great though, still miffed that it is out. But hey, we will be on a cruise at Xmas. Nothing wrong with that plan! :D

I appreciate the great information on Galaxy. Carol at Carkosh, how was RS 1032? We're booked on a 17 night sailing next May (first cruise in quite a few years), in a SS on 10 that is forward and without the balcony overhang. Have thought a little about upgrading to a RS. But, I'm concerned with a couple of reviews from last summer of SS and RS cabins on Galaxy (such as 1040 and 1041, both RS) that have been critical of the rooms - worn or broken furniture and a general need for refurbishment. Other reviews talk about the great state of maintenance in the SS class rooms. Has Celebrity done some room refurbishment? Sounds like you were very happy with the room!

Gatklt: We loved our RS! We've stayed in several on Celebrity ships & love the configuration, i.e. the separate bedroom. Many times Hubby will want to watch TV or listen to music & I want to nap (or visa versa) & the separate bedroom & living room works out beautifully. Besides, Hubby gets up early on cruises & I get to sleep late with no interruptions so that really works out well.

The RS's on Galaxy do have balcony overhangs so if this bothers you the RS may not work for you. I don't like hours of direct sun so the overhang does not bother me although my husband thinks differently at times; he just heads to the pool for some sun. However, it rained so much on our cruise that the overhang definitely kept the rain off of us when we walked out on the balcony; we only saw the sun a few days. The suite is kept in relatively good shape. The bathroom was impeccable although the rug in the living room was a little stained & the chairs were a little worn although none of this bothered us terribly. The suite was kept very clean by our wonderful housekeeping team. It would be nice though if in the next year or so the rug is changed out. The suite smelled very clean, no oldish or smoky smells that we could detect.

Hope this answers your questions, you'll be fine with whatever suite you decide on, the SS or RS.

Carol

Carol,

Thanks so much for the response. The May 7, 2005 transatlantic sailing on Galaxy is rapidly selling out, and maybe some people saw your response - an hour before I read your response, there were two RS cabins available. After I read your response, there were none! Midmorning today one opened up, and I grabbed it! (It took 38 minutes - not kidding, my phone has a call timer - on hold with Celebrity to change the room.) I would normally not be so extravagant, but it's a 20th wedding anniversary, and the first time my wife and I have managed more than a week off since our honeymoon - so it needs to be special! Looking forward to all the sea days on that balcony! Thanks again!

Alex

We were in Panama earlier this year on the Zenith . We did the ferry which we enjoyed very much. As you go through the locks, you can actually touch the sides ! You can see what is proceeding the ferry and what is behind. The narration and lunch provided was very good. We had the opportunity to have our picture taken with the canal as a backdrop and put in a special frame. Although the ferry was not our first choice after doing it we recommend it highly. It was quite an experience, nothing like being " up close and personal."

Smooth sailing,

Mary

Archived