Vista Class - Deluxe Veranda cabins

Green Onions

We received our cabin assignment for our VH-Guarantee on the Oosterdam and were moved up to a VA on the Navigation Deck (deck 8). I gather this is a good thing but I'm scratching my head why. Obviously the VH and even the VF cabins on the Upper Promenade Deck (deck 4) have the steel railing downside, but all of the VD and VF cabins on deck 4 appear to have deeper balconies than the higher decks.

I'm just curious, what are the differences in the cabins for the deluxe veranda categories (VA-VH)? I'm more than happy with what we were assigned, but thought I might ask.

Thanks.

As I understand it all the V cabins are the same. The balconies differ a little, the VF's on deck 4 do have steel railings and the VD's on deck 4 have the largest balconies. What the cruiselines consider an upgrade and what I consider an upgrade are often not the same thing, sometimes an upgrade is to a noisy cabin or one with a smaller balcony, just higher on the ship.

We are booked on the Oosterdam 1/31 Mexican Riveria cruise and are in the VH class. Does anyone know if they typically upgrade to another class since there appears to only be 4 VH rooms when reviewing the deck plans of the Oosterdam? If anyone knows of a way to get an upgrade, that would be helpful too (this is our first time on HAL, we're hoping to not be disappointed!).:)

We've done the VH guarantee twice and were assigned VA cabins both time. Since the number of people who book VH's typically exceeds the four VH cabins available, then the odds are pretty good you will be assigned a different category cabin.

However, someone does end up being assigned the VH cabins so it's possible you will get what you paid for. The only differences I found was the steel vs. plexiglas railing and having only a shower in the bathroom. The balconies on the VH rooms are slightly deeper than the ones on the other decks although not as deep as the balconies on the rest of Deck 4.

For me any downside of a VH cabin was more than offset by the savings.

Archived