Okay I had no luck with Santos ;-) what about

ClaudiaF

Here are some ports of call on our next cruise- can any past SA cruisers give me some great ideas of what to not miss?

Montevideo

Rio Grande do sul

Paranaugua ( we know about going to the falls, what about any town closer as this one?)

Santos ( struck out with last q.. hope someone can answer )

Parati

Ilha Grande

Okay that's the plan what to do is next.. Thanks guys for any help with where to go!

Claudia

I was in Parati for a couple of days last week. Unless you wish to take a boat ride around the coastal area you don't need any sort of tour, everything can be seen on foot as the historical center is not too large and no traffic is allowed to enter so walking and browsing is the great thing. Highlights are superb Portuguese colonial architecture beautifully preserved, lots of art and craft galleries, and a couple of places which serve up about the best ice cream I've ever had. The streets are cobblestoned and quite uneven so you really have to watch your footing, I found at the beginning I either had to look at the architecture or look at the road but couldn't do both at the same time.

Because Parati is pretty much off the beaten path it's quite unspoiled and oozes charm and character. It took me four hours to reach it by car from Rio but it was worth it, only wish I could have stayed another day or two.

Here's a web site that I found very helpful in planning my visit:

http://www.paraty.com.br/iindex.asp

Archived