Hawaii weather, February

Pellegrino

so take your sweats or a jacket. We went in early April and the first 2 days out of LA were too cold to lay out on the deck at all. The closer you get to the islands, the warmer and nicer it gets. And it will be the same on the return, so pack accordingly and be prepared for no sunbathing on those days.

The islands should be delightful!

In this case I think I would fly to Hawaii, skipping the cool SF weather on the cruise ship and spend more time cruising the warm Hawaii weather!! Going out of SF would give you 2 cool days going and 2 more cool days coming home. Brrrr!

We cruised to Hawaii in March and I agree with the others, it will be cool the first 2 days out and back, but there is plenty to do on the ship. Also this time of year is great for whale watching. Go for it.

We cruised to Hawaii in March and I agree with the others, it will be cool the first 2 days out and back, but there is plenty to do on the ship. Also this time of year is great for whale watching. Go for it.

Psupa, we will be on the Island Princess in March - do you have any tips on where the best place is for whale watching. We are thinking about Maui, but I've read where Kona is pretty good too - what do you think?

We are thinking of booking this San Fran to Hawaii cruise in Feb. 06. How is the weather then? Should we think about a different time frame? Thanks, Ellen

Weather should be good, as long as we don't have a repeat of last winter when it rained quite a bit.

Whales are here from mid Nov to early May, with the largest numbers and most visible behavior (breaching, etc.) in Feb/March. The Alenuihaha (which means "great billows smashing" in Hawaiian - very rough stretch of water) Channel, between Maui and the Big Island is prime for whales & whale watching. Maui gets most of the PR re: whale watching, but it is also good along the Kohala coast on the North end of the Big Island, and pretty good in Kona proper where the ships anchor. Recently, the whales have also been returning in smaller numbers to the Hilo side, which is probably a good indication of some recovery in their numbers. There should be plenty of whale watches offered as shore excursions, either by the ship or available on-line or locally. Capt. Dan's Whale Watch is a very good one.

Donna

Archived