I am going to have Gastirc By-Pass surgery...

ssatterly

Hi fellow cruisers!

I am a lap band patient. I got my band on May 28 of last year. I have lost 81 pounds. I went in to surgery at 270 pounds. I feel great. I was a size 22W last year at this time and now I am a size 12. Amazing. I do work at it, alot. More than any other band patient in my support group, but I am happy.

My best friend and I are taking a cruise on April 11. I get a fill next Monday to be on the safe side so I don't have any problems on the boat. I am looking forward to enjoying my cruise and not wondering what I will eat next. I am also looking forward to taking a few aerobic classes or boot camps, yoga and pilates and using the gym. Strange... I would never have done this on a cruise before. It will probably be the first vacation that I lose weight on.

Any bandster tips for my vacation?

Hi fellow cruisers!

My best friend and I are taking a cruise on April 11. I get a fill next Monday to be on the safe side so I don't have any problems on the boat. I am looking forward to enjoying my cruise and not wondering what I will eat next. I am also looking forward to taking a few aerobic classes or boot camps, yoga and pilates and using the gym. Strange... I would never have done this on a cruise before. It will probably be the first vacation that I lose weight on.

While I'm getting home from my cruise, you will be boarding yours, so I won't be able to pass on what works before you go.

To be honest, I quit using it after surgery, I had months of falling asleep only to be woken up after 60-90 minutes. I lost 10 pounds before surgery and 20 more pretty quickly. At that point, I wife told me I was no longer snoring and breathing much better.

Thanks, that's apparently what I'm doing, I don't think I'm snoring because I'm not waking myself up with it like I used to . My DH is no help, he snores as soon as his head hits the pillow so I can't ask him. I also lost 10 pounds the 2 weeks before surgery and then 24 in the next 2 weeks so maybe that was enough to solve the problem... The 24 pounds seemed to be water weight and bloating.

Janet

Thanks, that's apparently what I'm doing, I don't think I'm snoring because I'm not waking myself up with it like I used to . My DH is no help, he snores as soon as his head hits the pillow so I can't ask him. I also lost 10 pounds the 2 weeks before surgery and then 24 in the next 2 weeks so maybe that was enough to solve the problem... The 24 pounds seemed to be water weight and bloating.

Janet

I did my oxomiter test last night, where I wore an oxygen monitor clip on my finger all night. I don't get the results till a week from Wednesday. That is sitll before my next cruise, I hope to be officially cured of sleep apnea by then.

I did not realize how long the process would actually take to get the surgery done. I thought 6 months was plenty of time.(I guess I won't be wearing my bikini after all on the cruise!) My DW and I meet with our doctor in two weeks to get this started. Still have'nt decided which way we are going to go, but that is what the doctor will help us with. I just want to thank everyone for their input on this thread, it really has been helpful to us.

Not in my case, he said I was a good canadate for either.:mad: I wanted GVS, the sleeve and he said they didn't do it as it wasn't as good. I got banded and found out they are now doing the sleeve starting in April. I wasn't very happy.

So far the closest I've come to dumping was after eating at a chinese buffet. I was really careful to only pick chicken, crab legs, brocoli and I scraped the filling out of cream cheese wontons and eggroll but after eating there I felt kind of woozy and got all hot and cold sweats and clammy. Felt nauseus too but didn't vomit. I'm thinking there was probably sugar in some of the sauces I picked the meat out of. Either way, I kind of lost my taste for chinese foods at least for now.

That is dumping! It doesn't mean to vomit. It is all the symptons you just discribed.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi fellow cruisers!

I am a lap band patient. I got my band on May 28 of last year. I have lost 81 pounds. I went in to surgery at 270 pounds. I feel great. I was a size 22W last year at this time and now I am a size 12. Amazing. I do work at it, alot. More than any other band patient in my support group, but I am happy.

You have done really great. Your right about having done better than most banders. I hope to do half as good as you have. Keep up the good work.

I did my oxomiter test last night, where I wore an oxygen monitor clip on my finger all night. I don't get the results till a week from Wednesday. That is sitll before my next cruise, I hope to be officially cured of sleep apnea by then.

Well, I'm not cured of my sleep apnea, but it has gone from severe to minor. The doctor thinks 15-20 more pounds I'll be in good shape. I hope to make that by my 50th birthday 10 weeks from now. Of course my cruise is coming up soon.

Well, I'm not cured of my sleep apnea, but it has gone from severe to minor. The doctor thinks 15-20 more pounds I'll be in good shape. I hope to make that by my 50th birthday 10 weeks from now. Of course my cruise is coming up soon.

So did they adjust your machine level? If so, from what to what? My machine is at an 11 when it's full blast, I ramp up to that from a 4 over 30 minutes and can get to sleep at the 4 but by the time it hits the 11 it wakes me up. I see my PCP in 2 weeks to discuss it. DH has been up both before and after I go to sleep and he says I'm not snoring at all either of those times....we'll see. I kind of miss the machine, it always lulled me to sleep. But I will be happy not to have to take it on my cruise in August.

It is strange how different it is for different sergeons/centers. I had meet with the surgeon and had approval before having labs.

Yes, I've noticed a lot of variation in time frames and procedures. Most seem insurance oriented. My insurance was fairly progressive and this was a short 3 month process for me.

Speaking of me, one more week to get ready for the first after surgery cruise.

Way to go! Have a great first cruise after surgery. We will be waiting to hear how you did.

I'm really pushing myself this week in preparation, I'll be sure to update when I get back.

Ssatterly, good luck on your upcoming surgery.:) I have an appt on 4-22 to set up the surgery date for RNY. So I know what you mean about being excited. Oh, and as a side note, If you can get your doctor to write a prescription for your protein supplements, (prostat, etc), even if you don't get them from the pharmacy, you can use the cost as a medical deduction on your taxes. But you HAVE to have a prescription. I know this because I do taxes for a living. So, good luck on the surgery and keep track of your expenses for your next tax year.:D

Sue

Ssatterly, good luck on your upcoming surgery.:) I have an appt on 4-22 to set up the surgery date for RNY. So I know what you mean about being excited. Oh, and as a side note, If you can get your doctor to write a prescription for your protein supplements, (prostat, etc), even if you don't get them from the pharmacy, you can use the cost as a medical deduction on your taxes. But you HAVE to have a prescription. I know this because I do taxes for a living. So, good luck on the surgery and keep track of your expenses for your next tax year.:D

Sue

Thanks!!!! Only 2 weeks from today now!!!!

Please do not kid yourself, gastric bypass can be really dangerous. I had mine july 2003, I weighed 503lbs the day I had surgery. Since then I have had 3 revisions, 3 infection cleanups(surgical removal of infections ****staff****, 4 hernia repairs, a broken adom. wall, 1 hysterectomy, 1 tummy tuck, 7 bowel obstructions, and have almost died countless times. I can no longer eat any kind of meat, poultry, fish, or shelfish of any kind (they cause bowel blockages for me even if I chew correctly) so protein is hard for me, I have anemia and have to get blood tranfusions. I never heard of someone having so many comps before my surgery, they just said bad probs happen, but then those people die. You can survive, and you life can be a living hell everyday. Now for the positive, I am alive, I have a new life, new husband who is not abusive, a son, and I now weigh 195lbs. I am big boned (really I am) and 5 9, so I am at my correct weight. People always ask me what I think about gb if I reccommend it. I am not a poster child, cheerleader or advocate of the surgery. I had it done, and by the grace of God I am still alive, it is a personal choice, but make sure you are aware of anything that can happen, do not pull the wool over your eyes.:)

Please do not kid yourself, gastric bypass can be really dangerous. I had mine july 2003, I weighed 503lbs the day I had surgery. Since then I have had 3 revisions, 3 infection cleanups(surgical removal of infections ****staff****, 4 hernia repairs, a broken adom. wall, 1 hysterectomy, 1 tummy tuck, 7 bowel obstructions, and have almost died countless times. I can no longer eat any kind of meat, poultry, fish, or shelfish of any kind (they cause bowel blockages for me even if I chew correctly) so protein is hard for me, I have anemia and have to get blood tranfusions. I never heard of someone having so many comps before my surgery, they just said bad probs happen, but then those people die. You can survive, and you life can be a living hell everyday. Now for the positive, I am alive, I have a new life, new husband who is not abusive, a son, and I now weigh 195lbs. I am big boned (really I am) and 5 9, so I am at my correct weight. People always ask me what I think about gb if I reccommend it. I am not a poster child, cheerleader or advocate of the surgery. I had it done, and by the grace of God I am still alive, it is a personal choice, but make sure you are aware of anything that can happen, do not pull the wool over your eyes.:)

I do understand that things can happen...But back in 2003 things were not as advanced as they are now. Alos look at the weight oss...Thats says a lot right there. Now the rate NOT to have anything go wrong is up to 96%.. So at most there is a 4% chance of a bad complcaion...

Go with an open mind.

Your taking a big risk not losing any weight and your taking a big risk losing it with gastric bypass surgery. Complications can be common even if it's minor. A lot of times complications are not due too just the surgery itself either but the way the body responds and surronding factors.

If I considered this surgery an easy decision on my part...I would have already done it. I take everyone's experience in consideration...

With that being said I wish everyone who's had the surgery and who will have the surgery my best of luck. ;)

I had the gastric sleeve done 17 months ago. It was the best thing I have ever done. I lost 92 lbs. I went from a size 16/18 to a size 4. I was able to pay for mine with my 401k. A friend of mine got a bank loan and another friend went to Mexico last month. My son's teacher had the lapband and had nothing but trouble. After I talked to her I went with the sleeve. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Go with an open mind.

Your taking a big risk not losing any weight and your taking a big risk losing it with gastric bypass surgery. Complications can be common even if it's minor. A lot of times complications are not due too just the surgery itself either but the way the body responds and surronding factors.

If I considered this surgery an easy decision on my part...I would have already done it. I take everyone's experience in consideration...

With that being said I wish everyone who's had the surgery and who will have the surgery my best of luck. ;)

What do you mean by not losinf any weight.. This has not been easy I have lost 20lbs just waiting for my surgery... By-Pass IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT. Its very hard. it is just a tool and not that easy.

I had the gastric sleeve done 17 months ago. It was the best thing I have ever done. I lost 92 lbs. I went from a size 16/18 to a size 4. I was able to pay for mine with my 401k. A friend of mine got a bank loan and another friend went to Mexico last month. My son's teacher had the lapband and had nothing but trouble. After I talked to her I went with the sleeve. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Thanks.....in 11 days I will be having my surgery.

Archived