Split in Croatia

Oh, I know that area well--up along the Gros Ventre. The poor cabin is falling down--but that is big moose, elk and buffalo territory. We love driving that loop looking for critters--we have seen just about everything imaginable--pronghorn antelope, big horn sheep, red and silver foxes, coyotes, bald and golden eagles, you name it!

It sounds like you get to see your share of wildlife as well--since I grew up living in apartments in LA I still get a big kick out of it. Here is a photo of a moose in our yard last week and one at work!

IMG_0096.jpg.c8d2ada818adacc2405900b1bbfb7649.jpg

IMG_3017_edited.jpg.b4c23e8c90031a4bda5d0cfb5f54def0.jpg

Daniela, you are wonderful! Your detailed information is much more than I expected and I'm so grateful to you for the time you've invested in helping us. I'm passing it on to the others on our roll call for Azamara Journey, April 5. Maybe you'll come and visit us over there!

Well, that's the view from my office--minus the moose most of the time!

The glaciers in Glacier National Park are almost nonexistent at this point--I was shocked and very disappointed. We have ice fields bigger than that here in the Tetons!

Actually, THIS is the view from my office:

IMG_1082.jpg.a036d7a5925bb4466ffa22fd170e5b20.jpg

I know, I've got it tough!

Cathy

Nice office view! My office is located at the beginning (or end) of the Kancamagus Highway, which is a designated National Scenic Byway, White Mountain National Forest. We are the most visited ranger district (Saco) Nat'l Forest in America and I have no view whatsoever from my office. However, if I can get out of the office and can drive across the highway, it is beautiful. I think you win the first place prize hands down though. No argument here. I love western Wyoming. We use to get the best pizza at a place called Leeks Marina on Jackson Lake. I can also remember eating some darn good barbeque at a place in Jackson Hole called Bubba's. One of the best places for scenery was on top of Signal Mountain. I also remember there being some very nice people out there. I think the beauty of the place where they live must have something to do with it.

I just booked our flights an hour ago for the September cruise. We had planned on doing "cruise air" through RCI but saved about $800. doing it on our own. I liked that we will transfer in Philadelphia rather than overseas. Janice

Nice office view! My office is located at the beginning (or end) of the Kancamagus Highway, which is a designated National Scenic Byway, White Mountain National Forest. We are the most visited ranger district (Saco) Nat'l Forest in America and I have no view whatsoever from my office. However, if I can get out of the office and can drive across the highway, it is beautiful. I think you win the first place prize hands down though. No argument here. I love western Wyoming. We use to get the best pizza at a place called Leeks Marina on Jackson Lake. I can also remember eating some darn good barbeque at a place in Jackson Hole called Bubba's. One of the best places for scenery was on top of Signal Mountain. I also remember there being some very nice people out there. I think the beauty of the place where they live must have something to do with it.

I just booked our flights an hour ago for the September cruise. We had planned on doing "cruise air" through RCI but saved about $800. doing it on our own. I liked that we will transfer in Philadelphia rather than overseas. Janice

Ah, yes, Bubbas! Rated the #1 restaurant in Jackson Hole, which always cracks us up as there are some AMAZING restaurants! Bubbas IS good for BBQ but certainly not in the league with Snake River Grill, for instance. Of course not the same price point, either!

One of our favorite spots is the Signal Mountain Lodge area--great blackberry margaritas to go with your view. So when you are at Signal Mountain, if you were in the exact same spot but on the opposite side of the Tetons, you would be where we work/live!

So forgive my ignorance--White Mountains = New Hampshire? If so, that is also a gorgeous spot. And I bet the weather isn't all that different from ours, although we are at 6500'.

Great news on the airfare--I usually can do much better than the airlines can and it really pays to shop. We are planning a trek from Buenos Aires to Tierra del Fuego at the end of next month and I haven't purchased tix yet--just waiting, like everyone else, for the proverbial 'bottom'!

Happy travels!!

Cathy

Daniela... do you think you need a guided tour booked in Split or you can do that on your own?

We never been there and maybe this will be one of our future destinations..

Tks 4 your reply.

Hello Mrs. Jones,

Well, on the Easter day Split will probably be nadrealistic. Empty. Except for the Peristyle where is our cathedral, and people will go to the holly mass (the last one is at noon).

Public transportation works on holidays too, but has different schedule (every half hour where it's every 10 minutes normally). You can find some taxis too and some open bars and restaurants.

I believe you can find a guide, but this should be prearranged for the Easter day. Not everybody is religious here and a lot of people need some extra money. Because I'm a citizen, I only used my high school art and history teacher as I guide, so I cannot recommend one.

But I can paste one very useful link, and there you can probably find your guide and many other info about Split and Salona. http://www.visitsplit.com/?show=15663

You can do it on your own, but in that case you can enjoy something that is nice to see but without knowledge about it. You will miss too much of the hidden spots inside of the palace. I've read here that you can find a guided tour for a very reasonable price (about 7-8 pounds I think) at the peristyle without booking it in advance (this is just for the palace). Maybe you can combine short guided tour (2 hours) with "on your own" approach.:)

On the whole, I'd rather be anyplace warm and sunny right now. We have about 3 feet of snow on the ground right now and more expected in the next few days. It is very beautiful here in the White Mountains but we are counting days until we head south to The Villages in Florida for March and April. By the time we get back here the tulips will be up and the snow long gone (I hope) and we'll have the Med cruise to look forward to. It can't come soon enough.

Daniela tks 4 your reply.. that's a good idea and very reasonable rate...we'll do that.:)

You can do it on your own, but in that case you can enjoy something that is nice to see but without knowledge about it. You will miss too much of the hidden spots inside of the palace. I've read here that you can find a guided tour for a very reasonable price (about 7-8 pounds I think) at the peristyle without booking it in advance (this is just for the palace). Maybe you can combine short guided tour (2 hours) with "on your own" approach.:)

On the whole, I'd rather be anyplace warm and sunny right now. We have about 3 feet of snow on the ground right now and more expected in the next few days. It is very beautiful here in the White Mountains but we are counting days until we head south to The Villages in Florida for March and April. By the time we get back here the tulips will be up and the snow long gone (I hope) and we'll have the Med cruise to look forward to. It can't come soon enough.

Oh, I hear you! We have about 2 feet on the ground, and some weird warm weather on its way--supposed to be 40 and 41 the next two days!Gorgeous today but only 24.

I was supposed to do Buenos Aires to Tierra del Fuego at the end of this month with my daughter, but we just came up with a new marketing stragtegy at work--50% off all lots!-- so now I don't know if I can even get away. As the sales manager it's hard to leave right in the middle of a big sales drive!!! Waiting to see how it's received before deciding for sure either way. We always take some type of warm vacation at the end of February (Tahiti & Costa Rica the last two years) so I am very spoiled. Two months in the sun in Florida sounds wonderful at this point--have fun!

Cathy

PS Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread!

You didn't hijack anything. I was the original poster. It's nice to hear from you. Jackson Hole, the National Parks in Wyoming, the whole area you live in is one of my favorite places on earth and I love to hear about it.

Good luck with your sales promotion. I hope you manage to get away for some warm weather soon.

You didn't hijack anything. I was the original poster. It's nice to hear from you. Jackson Hole, the National Parks in Wyoming, the whole area you live in is one of my favorite places on earth and I love to hear about it.

Good luck with your sales promotion. I hope you manage to get away for some warm weather soon.

Oh! Sorry--I didn't even realize that. I feel better!! Just talked to my daughter. They are on their way to La Paz, Bolivia tomorrow, which is at 12,000'+. She says they are freezing! They are also feeling sick, having trouble sleeping, etc. with the altitude. A few days in La Paz and they will make their way back down to some reasonable altitude.

She has been looking at one way flights back home. They are outrageous--$1200+ for one way! So we started looking at cruises. She can spend 18 days on a ship going from Valparaiso to San Francisco for less than the flight! Isn't that ridiculous? I floated the idea of us meeting her and taking the ship back with her, but no dice. We are committed to this backpack/hostel trip and she is not letting me out of it--even though it would be way cheaper to do the cruise! I think I'm stuck--if I can even get away in the first place. I HATE not having a vacation booked so I can look forward to it and start my planning!!! OTOH if I don't sell anything I don't make any money, and I can't go anywhere ever again. Bummer. :rolleyes: Cathy

Good luck, Cathy. It's always hard when there are others involved in your planning as well as work issues. Sometimes my husband and I just sneak off by our selves, but we do have some experienced traveler friends (all cruisers) who are dependable and low maintenance. It's the newbees that can be difficult to handle with all their doubts and worries. Something will work out, I bet!

I love to plan ahead and get things booked early. It gives me somethig to work on and to look forward to. I think after this coming one we might try another Med cruise but going further east and stopping at more of the Greek islands. After that, I think the South American cruises. I doubt if they would be much higher in price than the Meds. We love the Caribbean but have had so many there it's getting old hat. Alaska, Nah!!!!!!! I see plenty of mountains and snow right here in NH. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. Have you ever done a river cruise in Europe? Our neighbors just started and love them but I think we'd miss the amenities of the big ships.

The river cruises look interesting but I'm not sure they're for me. Since our mid-range goal is to buy a house in France, I think this fall we will try renting one through VRBO or similar for a month just to make SURE that's what we want to do. We have done Med cruises the last two autumns, so it's time for something a bit different.

Speaking of South America cruises, I got an email yesterday about one on the NCL Sun; leaves from Valparaiso to L.A., 18 night cruise, one night pre-hotel stay, AND airfare for $1099/PP!!! That's inside of course, but the outsides/balconys weren't much more. Quite the deal!!

Cathy

My husband and I loved Split. We didn't do a tour, just walked all over the Old Town all day. Here are some pictures of Split: http://janell.smugmug.com/gallery/5654181_yLQzg#347933531_6i3GX

Janell, Loved the pix. Just beautiful. Looks like it was raining that day. What day and month was that. We will be there beginning of June.

Thanks.

bjrose;)

Archived