weird question about whats in the water

royandjenn

Hello. We have snorkelled countless times, all over the carribbean, fiji, etc. For the last few years, we have been going to Jamaica. Only here, have we on numerous occasions went snorkelling, and swam thru certain area's of the water where the water would sting you. Sounds odd. There were no jellyfish, we were maybe 20 feet above anything. You would just swim thru a spot of water wear it felt like hot pieces of ash hitting your skin. My husband, me and our girls all felt it. The following year we brought some friends with us, and they felt it too. Does anyone know what this is? We were just talking about this, and I figured enough is enough, someone has got to know what this is!

It's probably what's commonly called "sea lice" but is more properly know as "sea bather's eruption". It's thought to be caused by larval jellyfish too small to be visible to the eye. It commonly causes uncomfortable welts and red bumps, usually around the edges of whatever clothing you're wearing, e.g. the neck and shoulders if you're wearing a wetsuit or diveskin or the waistband if you're wearing men's swimming trunks, as it's the friction of the garment on the skin that causes the little buggers to do their thing. It's pretty common in South Florida and the Caribbean, especially around springtime. It affects people differently. There have been times when I've felt the stinging you've described and had no effects while my wife felt nothing in the water but broke out in a terrible rash afterward. Dive shops sell a product called "Safe Sea" (or something like that) which is supposed to prevent the reaction but I don't really know if it works or not.

Hi, I also have had many troubles with itchy bumps like mosquito bites, but itch 100 times more. I have no idea how to avoid it. It is definately from the water in florida. Each time I go, it happens to me. If I just wade, it gets my legs from like the knees down. If I snorkel then it affects also my neck and back. I dont wear a wetsuit or rarely a vest. What is it????

And what can I do to prevent it....It stays itching for weeks...and I cant rest well when I get it bad enough.

Hello. We have snorkelled countless times, all over the carribbean, fiji, etc. For the last few years, we have been going to Jamaica. Only here, have we on numerous occasions went snorkelling, and swam thru certain area's of the water where the water would sting you. Sounds odd. There were no jellyfish, we were maybe 20 feet above anything. You would just swim thru a spot of water wear it felt like hot pieces of ash hitting your skin. My husband, me and our girls all felt it. The following year we brought some friends with us, and they felt it too. Does anyone know what this is? We were just talking about this, and I figured enough is enough, someone has got to know what this is!

Hi,

Most likely they were thimble jellies. They're very small and all but invisible looking down in the water. If you dive down and look up with the sky reflecting off the surface of the water you can see them. I've dove through a school of them a few times. And you're right, they sting (I've equated it to someone touching you with a lit cigarette but I think you're experiencing the same feeling). They're harmless and if they bother you a lot you can get out of the water and apply some Adolf's meat tenderizer (it really works), or if you're at the beach make a compress out of beach sand though the sting shouldn't last.

Randall

Hi,

Most likely they were thimble jellies. They're very small and all but invisible looking down in the water. If you dive down and look up with the sky reflecting off the surface of the water you can see them. I've dove through a school of them a few times. And you're right, they sting (I've equated it to someone touching you with a lit cigarette but I think you're experiencing the same feeling). They're harmless and if they bother you a lot you can get out of the water and apply some Adolf's meat tenderizer (it really works), or if you're at the beach make a compress out of beach sand though the sting shouldn't last.

Randall

Or wear a rash guard shirt. They are good for warding off the little stingys, as well as warmth and a some of UV protection.:)

No, I cant say I feel any sting...Just get the bumps and extreme itch. So, you say beach sand compression? And then what? Sorry to sound like a bitty, but am really tired of those gypsys.

Applying beach sand against a jelly sting will greatly reduce the sting (peeing on it works too but hey, gross, and I don't even want to know how they figured that out). Just get a hand full of sand and press it against your skin and hold it there (about 30 seconds) and the sting goes away.

With the meat tenderizer just shake the powder on your skin. In either case don't rub back and forth. That will cause the venom to circulate more. Rash guards are good preventives but don't protect your hands and face.

Randall

Applying beach sand against a jelly sting will greatly reduce the sting (peeing on it works too but hey, gross, and I don't even want to know how they figured that out). Just get a hand full of sand and press it against your skin and hold it there (about 30 seconds) and the sting goes away.

With the meat tenderizer just shake the powder on your skin. In either case don't rub back and forth. That will cause the venom to circulate more. Rash guards are good preventives but don't protect your hands and face.

Randall

Joey did it for Rachel! Now that's friendship. :)

I've never been stung, yet, in either my face or hands. Gloves and full face mask??

Joey did it for Rachel! Now that's friendship. :)

I've never been stung, yet, in either my face or hands. Gloves and full face mask??

Where's the fun of the unknown if you cover up your whole body while in the water? Besides I have to say all the years I've been snorkeling and diving (which is a substancial number) I've only been stung a handful of times and the pain went away in less than a minute.

Randall

Yeah, it only stings for a minute or so, and goes away. It just sucks when u least expect it. My hubby is excited now to view these things looking up at the surface. There is so many amazing things under the water. I am going to find a book about carribbean fish etc to bring with me, its always nice to know the names of the fish etc you've seen. Thanks again for the info.

Yeah, it only stings for a minute or so, and goes away. It just sucks when u least expect it. My hubby is excited now to view these things looking up at the surface. There is so many amazing things under the water. I am going to find a book about carribbean fish etc to bring with me, its always nice to know the names of the fish etc you've seen. Thanks again for the info.

Hi,

If you're looking for reference books get "reef fish/reef creatures/reef coral identification - florida caribbean bahamas" by Paul Humann and Ned Deloach. The three book set is the BEST! Plus they have an additional book "reef fish behavior - florida caribbean bahamas". I use these books all the time for identifying animals in my underwater photographs (www.randallgamby.com). I find them easy to use and highly accurate. The behavior book is optional but it's cool to find out the reason why this fish swims up to you and that fish runs way. :)

Randall

P.S. Amazon usually has very good used versions of these books if you don't want to pay the full price for new ones.

Dive shops sell a product called "Safe Sea" (or something like that) which is supposed to prevent the reaction but I don't really know if it works or not.

Speaking from personal experience, it doesn't. Still got many of the sea lice/thimble jelly stings.

Besides I have to say all the years I've been snorkeling and diving (which is a substancial number) I've only been stung a handful of times and the pain went away in less than a minute.

Lucky you! We had booked a last minute snorkel trip in Cabo with some friends on one of those nightmarish huge snorkel boats. I was against it, but the other friends wanted to go, so we went. Being experienced, some of us jumped in at our first stop while the newbies were still getting ready. OMG! We jumped into bits and pieces of jellyfish tentacles. When the boat had backed up into the area, its propellers chopped up all these pieces so you couldn't see them. I have never beat my a** back to the boat so fast! These were true jellyfish stings. The crew was pulling long strings off us and then poured vinegar on us. That helped as long as it was in contact with your skin. But for the next week it still really hurt, plus you had all the red marks on your skin. Not the best trip souvenir. :rolleyes: :eek:

As a side bar to that, happened to be watching the Travel Channel last weekend and they did mention the vinegar for jellyfish - they also said that yellow mustard has vinegar and that would work too. So guess carrying around a bunch of the little disposable packets would be easier than a bottle of vinegar.

Hi,

That's what I like about the Adolph's Meat Tenderizer. It comes in that small bottle and if you don't use it you can always use it on your lunch. :D

BTW, I know what you mean. I once lived in Texas and went to Padre Island during "Jelly Season". I was surface swmming on an inflatible raft (you know on your back doing breast stroke arms) and had a jelly with ft. long tenticals wrap completely around my arm like a kite stuck on telephone wires. I beat it back to the beach where I shook it off. The life guard had seen me and came rushing up with tenderizer (see that stuff is life guard approved) and proceeded to coat the welps on my bicep. After a few minutes the pain subsided (but I did have the welps the next day).

Randall

When talking about the itchy bites I get when Im in florida and the water...people are thinking its thimble jellies. Most everyone talks about abit of sting or alot of sting. When I am in florida....It feels just like an lil insect biting me on the back, and legs...mainly the lower legs knee down...or mid thigh down...however deep I was wading. Anyways it just starts to mainly itch...and then I'll get a red itchy itchy itchy bump...and it stays itching for a couple weeks...someone said its a mite like thing, that borrows done under the skin...makes a very itchy situation...lives under the skin and you need to hold like a cotton ball on it with like bleach or ammonia to sufficate it. Of course, heard this long after my return home...so dont know if it helps....

Does anyone else have this trouble when they go to florida or the carribean and has anyone figured out how to prevent these mites or WHATEVER THEY ARE....from inviting themselves into my skin.

• 1 month later...

I got the itchies in Aruba last Jan .WEnt back to ship Washed and scrubbed from head to toe with lots of soap .Put Caladryl on visible rash and it was gone in no time.I believe it was sea lice ...NOT FUN

Now I ALWAYS carry Caladryl

What about your hair? Does it get stuck in your head like normal lice?

I am not fond of this thread. LOL

No, they're ocean going animals. Anything you'd drag on board with you would be dead in a short time. It's not like human lice that hang on for awhile, they don't have the ability to "hook" onto things like your hair. :)

Randall

Yet another reason for taking a long rinse shower off when you get out of the water after diving.....:p

I am going to find a book about carribbean fish etc to bring with me, its always nice to know the names of the fish etc you've seen.

Check out Fish Flips. We found them at a local scuba show and love them since they are waterproof and slip onto your wrist. That way you can look up the fish while they are either in front of you or fresh in your mind.

YES, there are jellyfish and other things that will sting you in the water.

YES, you can get stung anytime, but the warmer the water, the more likely.

NO, it's typically not that big a deal if you are not allergic, and you don't get hit by one of the real baddies (like a Man 'O War).

Sorry, but lotions, etc. will not protect you from being stung. There is only one way to avoid being stung, and that is to cover up your skin with a skinsuit or wetsuit.

Jellyfish (and other types of) stings typically have a protein that produces the burning sensation. Things that alter pH (acidity/alkalinity) alter the shape of the protein, and stop the burning. Simple chemistry.

Some common remedies that work are: ammonia, lemon juice/vinegar, meat tenderizer, baking soda, urine, and canned soda (in rough order of effect). There are commercial preparations that work as well. but typically contain one or more of these ingredients (not urine).

And for those of you that may be wondering at this point, I'm not a doctor or nurse... I'm a biologist.

Here is a thread with more information. You can find lots more of them if you search this board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=368115

Have a great trip!

Wendy

Archived