Best cell phone company for Caribbean?

CCSSDRC

You`re on holidays...leave the cell phone at home. You, your travelling companion and all the other passengers who are also on holidays will thank you...really they will!

If you need to contact someone, there is always email.

I don`t mean to sound unsympathetic but cell phone use has become rampant on cruise ships and it has become quite an issue.

You`re on holidays...leave the cell phone at home. You, your travelling companion and all the other passengers who are also on holidays will thank you...really they will!

If you need to contact someone, there is always email.

I don`t mean to sound unsympathetic but cell phone use has become rampant on cruise ships and it has become quite an issue.

I am trying to cruise a lot and keep my business going. I would like to go from 4 to 8 cruises a year. I can not completely ignore my customers on a regular basis.

Trust me I try not to interrupt people I try to hide from as many people as possible so I can carry on a discreet a conversation as possible. I prefer to call from a remote location on the island so people are not around.

Sprint appears to charge about $1.99 a minute in the West Caribbean areas we'll be in. We will be on the RUBY Princess and their rates are $2.49 a min.

Unfortunately, I needed to actually buy new cell phone that was internet capable (didn't realize the phone I bought just last year was "old"), but I had no choice. It was the only way I could get international dialing while on our cruise.

I would have loved to leave our cell phone behind. But we have several animals that will be with care takers. Some are elderly and I want to know if anything happens to them.....even if there's nothing I can do. :(

NTT Docomo telephones will connect and roam on every island in the Caribbean.

Text messages are free and calls are 6 cents per minute, anywhere, anytime.

One catch - you need to be a resident of China or Japan to get the service.

I have AT&T and called today to get details. It will cost $2.49 to make a call on the ship. They also told me in Nassau it is $1.99 per minute and $1.69 per minute in Grand Turk. You could switch to a world traveller plan for $5.99/month and it lowers the charge on land about 30 cents a minute but does not change the 2.49 on the ship. Also, if you have a text message plan, incoming texts are free and outgoing are 50 cents. Hope that helps!

I have Verizon and shortly before I cruise I call them to enable International roaming. I can't remember the exact charge, but I think it's about $1.99 a minute. You can save by sending texts also. I lost my cell phone in Cozumel once and Verizon was very good about disabling the phone before any unauthorized charges could show up.

I would never recommend leaving a cell phone at home, they can come in handy in emergencies, however I never have conversations on them in public areas and rarely use it while cruising. Business is the last thing I want to think about while cruising, but I do check in with my family back home occasionally

I have Verizon and am leaving on Sunday for Southern Carribean. There was no charge to enable my phone for international use but the fees are $1.99 per minute in Barbados and Dominica, 25 cents for incoming and outgoing text messages.

Archived