air diviation

abroad at sea

Can anyone give me info about air diviation, how it works, I called and asked RCi if I could pick my own flights and was told that I could, but if there was a difference in price I would have to pay that. Am looking at air from Dallas to Fort Lauderdale and then London to Dallas, we are doing the Jewel trans-atlantic May1-15.

Thanks

Can anyone give me info about air diviation, how it works, I called and asked RCi if I could pick my own flights and was told that I could, but if there was a difference in price I would have to pay that.

Well, that's pretty much how it works. You can change slights, dates, airlines, class, etc. but may find it gets rather more expensive. The line may also charge you a fee for this privilege.

Am looking at air from Dallas to Fort Lauderdale and then London to Dallas, we are doing the Jewel trans-atlantic May1-15.

Thanks

Was there anything specific you had in mind?

You're welcome ;)

PS - it's spelled deviation, in case you care.

You don't get much notice on your cruise flight schedule. Many people choose a deviation because they want to pick the airline (FF points), minimize the number of segments (some schedules go through extra airports to make connections), or prefer selected departure times. The cruise line charges extra if you want to have input or options on these. Do you have any preferences that warrant a deviation fee?

MichTraveler has it spot on - you'll typically find out your flights 30-60 days before sailing, and the lines will often route you through wierd connections.

On the whole, my advice would be to fly in at least a day before and do the air yourself, unless the line's air is just fantastically good.

Transatlantic one-ways can often be had very reasonably, and many airlines will often do reasonable open jaws, too.

But, of course, it's your show. Hope it works out for you!

Have been on 54 cruises and have always done the air myself, this is a trans-Atlantic, Florida to London. Finding one way from London to Dallas almost impossible and when I do find it - its more than the cruise. So I guess the best thing is to go with the cruise air. Flying from Dallas to Fort Lauderdale is the easy part, and yes we always go a day early, sure saves a lot of stress. If you know of any sites that have Europe to US one way flights please let me know.

Thanks

There are numerous ways to save money on air. Some are easy and some involve complicated logistics. First thing to know-What is the price of cruise air? If it is under $1000.00-Dallas/Fort Lauderdale and London/Dallas, (if you must fly on May 1 and 15),it is probably a good fare, considering both the 1st and 15th are Sundays. Much higher fare on Sunday-over $400.00 compared to flying on April 30 and May 16. Flying on a non-business travel day usually results in significant savings.

You can book the same $1000.00 fare, with your choice of flights on Travelocity, Expedia, AA.com, Virgin + partners, etc. Saves you the air deviation fee and allows you to pick your airline and flights. And you will know immediately what flight you are on.

We're all here to help you. Give us some more information and let me know your tolerance for "hassle". I can see a way to get your air for about $600.00, but it involves an overnight in London and change of airlines in the US, which means rechecking luggage.

Same problem here. We need Air SFO to Copenhagen (CPH). Cruise goes from CPH to Ft. Lauderdale (FLL). I can get one way Air FLL to SFO easily. So my question is whether anyone has experience with buying one-way (SFO - CPH) from the cruise line. /Sultan

Partial Quote

this is a trans-Atlantic, Florida to London. Finding one way from London to Dallas almost impossible and when I do find it - its more than the cruise.

Thanks

Same problem here. We need Air SFO to Copenhagen (CPH). Cruise goes from CPH to Ft. Lauderdale (FLL). I can get one way Air FLL to SFO easily. So my question is whether anyone has experience with buying one-way (SFO - CPH) from the cruise line. /Sultan

Partial Quote

You will probably NOT find a one way international from the cruise line. The cruise lines most likely will only do a complete trip. I suppose it is worth asking, but I truly believe the answer will be NO, especially since you must fly from FLL to SFO.

You will NOT find international ONE-WAYS at a reasonable price, unless it is a fluke or a consolidator fare. You will have to book open-jaw tickets.

Try using any of the mulitple city booking features on ANY of the websites. Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, airlines, etc.

If those don't work, look at breaking you trip into multiple airlines. Maybe a US carrier to London, then a European carrier to your final destination. Or a US carrier to NY and then a foreign carrier to your ultimate destination. Or try Icelandic Air. They have pretty reasonable fares to the Scandanvian countries. Yes, you have to stop in Iceland, but so what. Try the national carrier which is based in your ultimate destination. Sometimes their fares can't be beat, especially from the US. But most of them fly out of NY, so you must get to NY and co-ordinate that with the flight to Florida. One ways are easily available on Song or Jet Blue from NY to Florida.

You guys really need to be creative if you want cheap air. And be willing to accept some hassle-overnight in NY, overnight in Europe, check and recheck luggage, all these are possibilities to make the logistics work. It all comes down to how much you want to save. Otherwise, book through the cruise line and let them handle it for you.

If you need further help, you may email. greatam@earthlink.net

We worked through a bucket shop (travel consolidator) for our trip one way Houston-Rome and got a pretty decent rate - just look for those ads in the local travel section that list fares to all kinds of places, and give one a call. We went KLM outbound, and flew back from Ft. Lauderdale on some cheapo domestic line for very reasonable rates.

Archived