Anyone done Coba & Tulum same day?

MandyCSP

We ( 4 adults) will be on Carnival Triumph in Jan. docked in Cozumel from 9 am until midnight. Has anyone taken the ferry to Playa del Carmen and then a bus or rental car to BOTH Coba & Tulum? (We know that Tulum is no problem - we really want to visit Coba) If so, please share your experience. If we rent a car it appears that we need to be back to Playa by 5 or 6. Also, I think the ferries only run until about 7 pm back to Cozumel. Any helpful hints would be welcome. Also any suggestions for spending the remaining few hours (about 8 pm to 11 pm) in Cozumel? Thanks!

But be prepared for a lonnnggg day. I had planned on going to Coba(been to Tulum) in September, but Hurricane Ivan messed up our schedule so I put it off for a futre trip.

Given your long day, it should be easy, however the sun sets at 5-6pm so you do have a limit of sorts. Renting a car would be your best bet, buses are great but the time wasted trying to schedule yourself around would not be real efficient. I would visit Tulum first thing and beat the "tour" busses that tend to arrive late morning. As I understand it there are far fewer visitors to Coba so crowds most likely won't be an issue there like it can be at Tulum.

Suggestion- hire a site guide for your group, not sure of the cost?? $20-30 but they will give you great insite to the significance of certain structures, temples ect. They will be near the entrances.

Here are some links I found on travel to Coba, which is directly inland from Tulum so logisitics for driving is good for your plan.

http://www.playadelcarmeninfo.com/playa-del-carmen-info-mayan-ruins-of-coba.html

http://www.mcvrn.com/coba.html

The ferries actually run till late in the evening, so 7 is not a cutoff per se. Here is a link, though check with the ferry office when you buy tickets that day to confirm the schedule for return. Things change depending on time of year down there.

http://cozumelinsider.com/transportation//

One last suggestion- If you rent a car get the full amount of optional insurance offered. Under thier law if involved in an accident, even if it's not your fault you will not be allowed to leave the country unless you post a bond to cover all damages involved. If you have mexican insurance you will be allowed to leave. Your credit card coverage, may pay, but will not be considered coverage by the authorities.

Have a great time

Rich

I admire your initiative, but I also agree that it'll be a long day. To make your life a little easier, on your ferry boat trip to Playa, there are usually BOTH Hertz and Executive car rental agents onboard. You should be able to get a small car for $49 a day including insurance (which I guarantee you will need to have in Mexico). It's fairly easy to get around by car & Tulum is close by. Yes you will have to be back BEFORE 6pm to return your car. I don't think you can make both stops without frantically rushing about. This is your vacation & time to relax, so enjoy it.

When you get back to Cozumel, I'd like to invite you to Cozumel mini-golf for a little relaxing but fun time. It usually takes a group of 4 about an hour to get around the course, and we have drinks available by radio, and you can choose from our collection of over 500 CD's to listen to. We're just one block off the main square - look for the BIG flagpole on the water and walk straight back from it into the square. We're located across from the Farmacia Similares at the intersection of 15th Ave & 1st street.

Enjoy your visit!

Archived