Looking for menus, recollections of FOOD

MamaParrotHead

Sailing on Valor 5/22/05 and not really sure what to expect on the ship as far as food goes. I doubt we'll be spending the extra $ for dining in the supper club, so looking for examples of foods served in the dining room, lunches, snacks, etc.

Is there anything that you particularly DIS-liked, that we should be wary of?

Thanks!

The only thing I tried that I really didn't like was the escargot (and yes, I've eaten it and liked it in other restaurants.)

The beauty is that you can send back anything you don't like and ask for something else. You can also order "extra" appetizers, soups, and entrees just to taste them.

Relax and enjoy.

I was on the Glory last June, but perhaps what I think might extend to the valor.

Deli food- always excellent!

Fish and chips- hours are limited and watch out for bones!

Pizza- always great.

Dining room- some nights are outstanding, other nights not so. Look at the menues for guidance, I remember a couple of nights where I wish I was at the supper club,m and several more where I was glad I was in the dining room.

Buffet- most of the food is fair to poor. However, always, always check it out! Things change and you never know what treasures you might find. For example, on day one, when people were boarding, I found flourless chocolate cake! Wow! Another time, there were some excellent teriaki skewers. So, always check it out.

Chinese station- some people, say it sucks, but I had a hard time staying away from it, pretty good!

Burgers and fries- they do a great job of putting out fresh burgers and fries. The grilled onions and mushrooms don't hurt either.

Tea time- they have some tasty pastry there, check it out- only available on sea days.

Beware of cold food- waiters work in a cycle- the first in the cycle get hot food, the last get, well you get the idea. We got a seafood dish that was pretty cold. Every fish dish we had tasted like it was made ahead of time and microwaved. For that matter, it has been 14 years since I had a good piece of fish on a cruise (grouper, on the Soveriegn of the Seas back in '89) so CCL isn't alone there. It gets a little frustrating when you want to eat a healthy meal of fish and the only way it is served is with some thick sauce.

You can see actual Carnival menus from one of our Paradise cruises at the webshots link in my signature below. The menus haven't changed much from that one.

The safest thing to do is on the first night in the dining room, tell your server that you are going to be adventurous and try some new things to you, so if you order anything that others don't like, just to let you know, so you can safely order something else. We did this on our first cruises, and the server was always good to discreetly make another recommendation when we ordered something that's often sent back. (I only know this is true, because a couple of times I went ahead and ordered against their recommendation, and I always regretted it.)

I have sailed Carnival 3x, Triumph, Spirit, Victory; most recent 3/04. Have also sailed Celebrty and NCL. Really mostly like Carnival dinner menus and lunch buffet. Menues tend to be pretty much the same fleetwide so anty poting of them will give you a general idea. Dine room breakfast is the exact same menu everyday. It is the only place to get eggs benedict if that is your thing (request extra sauce). Buffet area breakfast has some rotation of potatoe, panc or fr toast ect. Fried eggs & omlettes always avail.

Lunch both buffet and dine room change menus daily. In the buffet area there is a different specialty food each day like mex, italian. Depending on ship there is generally a deli and oriental station. Deli has samwe sandwiches avail every day. Oriental menu changes each day. There is a grill with chicken, burgers, hot dogs, fries. Pizzia station has ceasar sal and a WIDE variety of pizzia 24/7. The actual buffet with salads, fruit, dessert and hot dishes changes daily for lunch and dinner.

Dine room dinner always offered a choice of beef (steak or prime rib), poultry, fish, often seafood, and another meat (lamb, veal, pork) plus a veggie entree. I have a set of dinner menus in my files and they are similar to what I had in March. I generally ate seafood r beef as I seldom eat those at home (fat and $$).

Archived