Carry on Bag question

I know this sounds simple, but I have been confused a little and could use your help. In Feb. we will be taking our first cruise. We will be leaving from San Juan. I understand your luggage is taken when you check in and later delivered to your room. Does that include a carryon bag, one that is like a suitcase but suitable for carrying on an airplane?

Can we keep those with us or should we put medication, change of clothes, etc. in another tote bag?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

You can keep your carry on bag with you just as you do on an airplane. Pack all valuables such as jewelry, medications, camera, etc in your carryon.

You checked bags (those you would check with the airline) can be handed over to the porters at the port and will be delivered to your cabin later on embarkation day. Make sure you have your luggage tag provided by your cruiseline and/or TA firmly affixed to all checked baggage.

Have a great cruise.

Dianne

You can keep your carry on bag with you just as you do on an airplane. Pack all valuables such as jewelry, medications, camera, etc in your carryon.

You checked bags (those you would check with the airline) can be handed over to the porters at the port and will be delivered to your cabin later on embarkation day. Make sure you have your luggage tag provided by your cruiseline and/or TA firmly affixed to all checked baggage.

Have a great cruise.

Dianne

Thanks Dianne

Mike

You'll keep your carry-on bag with you until you can get into your cabin which might be a couple of hours after you get onboard depending on your timing. As your checked bags may not reach your cabin until after dinner, be sure to have everything you'll need for the afternoon. As we overnight in San Juan, we pack one carry-on bag specifically before we head to the pier. Dinner is casual the first night so generally what you wear to board will be alright.

em

Keep in mind the carry on bag has to be small enough to fit through the xray like at the airport. The max size is 22in x 16in x 9 or so.

Actually the carry on size is larger than an airplane carry on. That one has to fit in the overhead bin. For ship carry on it is 24w, 16h, 30L. I got this info here some time ago from someone who said they got it from RCCL. My last cruise on the Grandeur I carried on a 27L suitcase and had no problems. I saw people who had larger suitcases than me, probably the 30L.

Just remember whatever you carry on you have to keep up with until rooms are ready at 1 p.m.

We ALWAYS keep our carry-on bag with us when boarding and when leaving the ship on the last day. That way we have meds etc with us and even a change of clothes in case our luggage is delayed for any reason. Don't take a chance with your meds, they are too important to put in checked luggage and not have with you. (my opinion)

Keep in mind that your carry on will have to stay with you until the cabins are open for occupancy. That can be a couple of hours after boarding if you like to get on the ship early. So, make the carry on as light as possible :)

I have a 20" on wheels that I purchased for just this reason. It doesn't expand, so I can't weigh it down too much and it's a lot lighter than a 22" for just that reason. Yet, it has plenty of space for toiletries and a change of clothing.

I never check my luggage with the airline or at the cruise port.

The same carryone luggage that went into the overhead in the plane is the same that I take on the ship. Once I get on the ship I catch a seat by the pool with a drink in hand and wait until they announce that the rooms are ready - usually around 1pm. I never have to worry about my luggage getting lost either by the airline or the cruise line. Last March I watched a couple at the front desk of the ship whose luggage was lost by the airline. Not much fun on a cruise all week with no luggage.

I never check my luggage with the airline or at the cruise port.

The same carryone luggage that went into the overhead in the plane is the same that I take on the ship. Once I get on the ship I catch a seat by the pool with a drink in hand and wait until they announce that the rooms are ready - usually around 1pm. I never have to worry about my luggage getting lost either by the airline or the cruise line. Last March I watched a couple at the front desk of the ship whose luggage was lost by the airline. Not much fun on a cruise all week with no luggage.

That is great that you can cruise for a week w/ just a carry-on for your clothes, etc. Not many people can do that!

To the OP. We always cross pack (1/2 of each of our clothes in each others checked luggage) in case only one suitcase makes it to the ship, and we take one of each kind of outfit in our carry-ons just in case no luggage gets to the port. Helps relieve the stress of "what if" for us.

Have a great cruise!

Never and I mean never leave anything in your luggage or carryon that you leave with porters that have anything of value ie: camera, computer, jewelry, electronics of any kind and medications. These things have been reported missing by some passengers between port and getting to room.

At the airport, we lock our luggage with TSA approved locks. There is no reason to just hand over an unlocked piece of luggage to anyone

We take the same locks and lock up ALL luggage that is handed over to the Porters. There is no reason for them to get into our luggage.

All jewelery, meds, etc are carried with us in a tote bag and never leave our sight.

:) :) :)

At the airport, we lock our luggage with TSA approved locks. There is no reason to just hand over an unlocked piece of luggage to anyone

We take the same locks and lock up ALL luggage that is handed over to the Porters. There is no reason for them to get into our luggage.

All jewelery, meds, etc are carried with us in a tote bag and never leave our sight.

:) :) :)

Yes the cruise line can open up your luggage if they suspect you bringing anything not allowed ie: alcohol, irons etc. I once had my luggage gone thru because my DHs electric shaver turned on and that made them a bit nervous I guess. The luggage was delivered with a note inside and stuff just tossed back into bag. What a mess. As far as porters not opening your luggage you are right but nowadays I don't trust anyone locks or no locks. Someone has that universal key and who knows who......

Archived