RCCL vs NCL for kids

ilovethesun

Hi,

I've been on a few cruises alone with my husband but we have moved to France and are considering a cruise with our 3 and 4 year old daughters. NCL does pretty much the same cruises as RCCL but RCCL is charging $799 as compared to NCL's $599 for second and third passengers. Is RCCL's children's program worth $400 more?

Also, while I'm at it, can you actually leave your kids in the kids program while you are on shore? If so, how do they contact you in case of an emergency?

Thanks!!

angie

We haven't had any experience with the RCCL's kids program. But, we've been on the NCL Dawn 3 times and our kids (10 and 5 now) have absolutely LOVED it!!! They beg to go there every day. And, they're actually disappointed when we say no because we're going ashore that day!!!

You can leave them there while you go ashore. But, we never do. They can't reach you in an emergency. And, I have this nightmare of the ship leaving without us with the kids on board!!! :eek:

Angie,

We have done 2 NCL cruises with our two children (3 and 6) and will be doing a 3rd one this spring. In my opinion, their kid's program is top notch, especially for the younger age group. Good luck deciding:)

We've done both, and I think both children's programs are very good. My kids enjoy them both. It seems that RCCL does a better job of setting forth a schedule, in case there is a particular activity you are looking to make sure your children attend. NCL is more vague about the times. My kids never had a problem because they basically either attended for a session or they didn't.

I know your children are 3 and 4, which fall within the parameters of both lines' childrens' programs (NCL starts at 2), but since all children are different, I thought I would throw this out there: being potty trained is not necessary to participate in NCL's program. It is for RCCL. So, if your three year old is still accident prone, that's a plus for NCL.

In sum, for $400, I would go with NCL.

It seems that RCCL does a better job of setting forth a schedule, in case there is a particular activity you are looking to make sure your children attend. NCL is more vague about the times. My kids never had a problem because they basically either attended for a session or they didn't.

Patty, was that the case on the Dawn last January for you? When we sailed in June, it was very organized. The Kid Crew weekly schedule had exact times listed for the various activities. And, never did they stray from that schedule. A couple of times we had to race through dinner so that our kids would arrive in time for the counselors to take them to the shows.

Thanks for all the info! I think we'll probably try NCL. We've been wanting to try it anyway and the freestyle cruising is probably really good with kids in tow!

So, since there is no way to reach you if you leave them on ship while you're ashore, can you give them your cell number in case of a real emergency? Like, if one of them falls and cracks their head open, I NEED TO KNOW... Seems kinda silly to me.

Anyway, I'm excited to take our first family trip. I'll have to research this family board a little more.

Thanks again,

angie

I suppose you could leave them your cell number. But, depending on where you are, your cell may not work. That's one of the reasons we never leave the ship without the kids.

Also, about Freestyle.... it works GREAT with the kids!!! We never eat at the same times every day at home. So, it's really nice to know we don't HAVE to be ready for dinner precisely at 6:30. And, the best part is, we don't have to go anywhere to eat. We have ordered room service for dinner a few times. It's so relaxing that way. Then, we head out for our evening of whatever activities we choose at whatever time we want.

Most mornings at home I'm telling the kids to hurry up and get dressed, finish your breakfast, brush your teeth, etc. to get out the door on time. It's really nice to know that I don't have to rush the kids (or us) for anything. LOVE IT!!!

Alot depends on the kids crew you get and your kids personality, and the other kids personalities. I think most kids programs are pretty similiar (except maybe Disney). I have been on Celebrity and NCL with my kid, and he loved both programs. All kids programs will basically be the same - arts and crafts, games, scavenger hunt, movies etc.

I would definitely NOT leave my kids onboard while I went ashore for more than maybe one or two hours. Someone else on board's kid had a medical emergency on one of their cruises, and the Mom is so glad she was onboard at the time.

I also am paranoid about missing the ship while my kid is on it, so I might leave him on board while I do some quick shopping near the ship, but that's about it.

Archived