SKY Questions

racepoint

I am "this close" to booking a 3-day weekend getaway on SKY out of Miami for my husband's birthday gift (I'd love to make it longer but issues with work and care for our kids is a problem. I'll take what I can get!!) Three questions: 1) Can we do this cruise totally "freestyle", meaning no dressy clothes whatsoever. If I'm not on the pool deck in a bathing suit or shorts and a t-shirt, the most I'd like to dress for dinner is what I'd wear to work in my office. Will this do?; 2) Does the SKY have small refrigerators in the cabins (I'm looking at a Superior Inside cabin); and 3) I'd appreciate recommendations for a hotel for one night, pre-cruise, in Miami, preferably on or very near the beach.

I am "this close" to booking a 3-day weekend getaway on SKY out of Miami for my husband's birthday gift (I'd love to make it longer but issues with work and care for our kids is a problem. I'll take what I can get!!) Three questions: 1) Can we do this cruise totally "freestyle", meaning no dressy clothes whatsoever. If I'm not on the pool deck in a bathing suit or shorts and a t-shirt, the most I'd like to dress for dinner is what I'd wear to work in my office. Will this do?; 2) Does the SKY have small refrigerators in the cabins (I'm looking at a Superior Inside cabin); and 3) I'd appreciate recommendations for a hotel for one night, pre-cruise, in Miami, preferably on or very near the beach.

All evenings on all NCL ships are Resort Casual in all dining rooms. I have never worn more than a polo shirt, kahki pants and tennis shoes to dinner on any NCL ship. Now T-Shirts, shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the dining rooms after 5:00 p.m. (the dinner hour) but polo shirt will suffice. If you choose to stay in shorts and T-shirt, you may dine in the buffet for dinner. Jeans are even allowed in all dining venues with the exception of one of the two main restaurants which will be "no jeans" (but kahkis will be ok!)

There is an optional formal night (called dress up or not night) but less than half the people will dress up for that and no dining room is listed as "formal only." The joy of Freestyle!!

I stayed in a balcony when I was on the Pride of Aloha (the former name of the Sky) and so I can't answer either of your other questions.

Yeah - there is *no* need for anything vaguely resembling formalwear. As the other poster mentioned, resort casual got me in everywhere. I chose to dress up one night - but it was my first cruise. I won't make that 'mistake' again ;)

I was in a superior inside on the Sky and I did have a mini fridge. It was filled to the brim initially, but I just left a note for my steward asking for it to be emptied - and it was!

I have no hotel recommendations - though you might check the Miami section of the Ports of Call board. I stayed near the airport when I went.

Have fun!

COOL!! Thanks for your responses. My question was about whether we could get away on a (short) cruise without worrying about towing along formal gear. We don't have a problem with dressing "business casual" but wanted to be certain this would get us by. I gather from your kind responses, we will be alright. Now . .I still need a recommendation on where to stay for one night (a Thursday in Jan.), preferably oceanfront or a view of the docks (with a pool) in Miami (and not toooooo pricey;)

I'm leaving Friday for my 3rd cruise on Sky since she's moved to Miami. Feel free to dress up or down as much as you want. As long as you're "resort casual" then you're all set. Sometimes I like to dress up for Le Bistro, but it's not necessary...I've also eaten there in jeans!

As for hotels....there are several close to the AA Arena and in downtown Miami, but my favorite is Loews South Beach. If you have any other or more specific questions...I'm happy to answer.

Archived