Best Feb 21/22 09 7nt Mex Riviera Cruise?

BigMattT

Hello All!

After lurking daily for a few months... here's my first post...

My partner and I booked airfare from Northern Virginia to Long Beach, CA for February 20-March 1st at a steal a few months ago.

We're hoping on a great last minute cruise deal. (A 7 Night Cruise to Mexican Riviera. We lean toward getting a balcony... but its not a must--especially when insides are in some cases under $400pp)

Carnival, Princess, RCCL, and Norwegian each have a sailing on Feb 21/22 out of L.A. or San Diego that would be doable. (HAL is selling too well to be a good pick price wise.)

So. Its getting time to book. Which should we choose?

My thoughts so far:

Carnival Pride: Ship reviews, cabin sizes, and times in ports seem to be most favorable. Also a king-size bed would be nice. (Is there a lot of truth to their "twins convert to King" line?)

Sapphire Princess: We like the on-board programs--pottery, lectures. Con: very little time in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo... and lots of reviews saying beds/showers seem smaller.

RCCL Mariner: We've sailed previously on RCCL Sovereign and enjoyed ourselves... Mariner has good reviews, and is GIANT. A tad more expensive for our sale date so far...

Norwegian Star: The Star has garnered some pretty poor reviews recently... and we feel like the lower prices for the sailing are because we'd be spending money nightly on dinner on the ship for the variety of restaurants...

I'm really curious what other members would choose in the same situation. Also--wait longer? Will prices drop more? We are thinking perhaps they will on Carnival and RCCL...

What would you do?

Cheers.

~Matt

I realize you may consider this unhelpful, but there's a reason HAL's Oosterdam is selling well. It would be my pick. Plan B would be Sapphire. Plan C would be Pride. Mariner's too big for me, and NCL's "freestyle" is too much work/extra $.....just one opinion.

I realize you may consider this unhelpful, but there's a reason HAL's Oosterdam is selling well. It would be my pick. Plan B would be Sapphire. Plan C would be Pride. Mariner's too big for me, and NCL's "freestyle" is too much work/extra $.....just one opinion.

Nono--you're right on the money with the Oosterdam recommendation. It was our first pick too until we realized it was selling too well, and the last minute deals weren't to be had there.

Luckily--four other sailings from the area around those dates...

I feel like I've read every review and still can't make up my mind... Ugh.

Just my two cents, so feel free to throw it out the window. NCL would be LAST on my list as I just don't care for their product. Princess would probably be first, but like you, I am always disappointed on the short stay in Cabo. Therefore, I would choose between Carnival and RCCL with RCCL taking the lead. Any way you go, you will have a great trip!

Archived