Question from a RCCL cruiser....

LiLo0424

Hi! My husband and I are interested in finally stretching our wings and sailing Carnival sometime in April or June with my three kids...14, 5 and 2.

We have only sailed RCCL and have only been on Voyager and Freedom class ships. We want something comparable in size.

What Carnival ships/classes are similar? Do any of the Carnival ships have a promenade? What staterooms can accommodate a family of five? (Although we are not opposed to getting two rooms at all!)

Thanks for your help! I normally feel very knowledgeable about cruising and I suddenly feel like I am lost!!

Lisa

There really isn't anything comparable in size, but the Conquest class ships will get you the closest (Conquest, Valor, Glory, Freedom, Liberty, Splendor - did I get them all?)

If there are any cabins that held 5, they'd be on the Splendor, as it's the newest ship. But I don't think family cabins are coming out until the Dream.

Hi! My husband and I are interested in finally stretching our wings and sailing Carnival sometime in April or June with my three kids...14, 5 and 2.

We have only sailed RCCL and have only been on Voyager and Freedom class ships. We want something comparable in size.

What Carnival ships/classes are similar? Do any of the Carnival ships have a promenade? What staterooms can accommodate a family of five? (Although we are not opposed to getting two rooms at all!)

Thanks for your help! I normally feel very knowledgeable about cruising and I suddenly feel like I am lost!!

Check out Carnivals website. They have the deck plans of all the ships. I know there is a new ship that is coming out that is pretty big. We've been on the Destiny before and I think that was maybe 110,000 tons or close to it. The fantasy and spirit class ships will be a lot smaller than your used to. I think there are a good amount of staterooms to accomodate 5 passengers but don't quote me on it.

I have sailed on RCCL on Voyager class ship Mariner. And on CCl Glory. I wanted to compare the 2 side by side if possible. Loved the food, didn't participate in entertainment much. Loved my Balconey room. I have to say the Royal Promenade you will not find. The feeling was friendlier for service, not as staunch. The service was great on glory, but not as formal as RCCl. The amenities was not as uprgraded as RCCL IMHO. But was ok. I felt the condition of the ship was lacking a little. Hopeing Glory gets a refurbishment. All in all look at the size of the ships, look at the dollar amount of your trip. Then i am sure you will do as i am doing again, and booking with CCL. It is all in what you choose. In our balconey room there could have been 5. We had 4 my DD and her 2 DD's 11 and 12. We still had room for another bed if we had the need. It will be very tight but doable. They will use a rollaway bed for the 5th person. Most likely upper bed and lower converted couch and 2 twins and the rollaway. Just smile and say," Hey we are on vacation":D

In our balconey room there could have been 5. We had 4 my DD and her 2 DD's 11 and 12. We still had room for another bed if we had the need. It will be very tight but doable. They will use a rollaway bed for the 5th person. Most likely upper bed and lower converted couch and 2 twins and the rollaway. Just smile and say," Hey we are on vacation":D

Spirit and Conquest class ships cannot accommodate 5 people due to SOLAS rules (safety of life at sea). The Dream will have family staterooms when she launches. Fantasy class ships and Destiny, Triumph, and Victory can hold 5, but these ships are older and don't have quite as many ammenities (basically they don't have the supper club).

Carnival does not have anything comparable in size to Royal's Voyager or Freedom class. Even the Dream will be just at the size of Voyager. Spirit class ships (Spirit, Pride, Legend, Miracle) are 90,000 tons; Conquest class ships (Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty, Freedom) are 110,000 tons; Splendor is 113,000 tons.

While the Spirit class is smaller, there is a better space passenger ratio with all the ammenities of the Conquest class ships. I'd look at booking two rooms on a Spirit class ship.

This website is great & gives you opportunity to compare ships of different lines. You may need an account to do some things but it is only about $12 for a lifetime membership. I have it & it is worth it to me but others may not think so. Some stuff you can get for free so check it out.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/shipscarnival.php

Archived