Experiences with Open Seating at dinner

Riley's Mom

I am wanting to change our our dinner time from main to open seating. I think this may better accomidate our family..However, I would like to hear from anyone who has used this new option..

Was there a long wait time to be seated? Is there a different dining room you have to use? What about formal night... was it more of a wait time then?

Thanks for your help.

Carla

My husband and I did the open seating option on the Legend and loved it! We did not ever have to wait (not even on formal nights) as there was only the 2 of us - however, we saw groups of 6 and larger have to wait. We especially enjoyed not having to hurry to get ready for dinner at a certain time, and not having to rush back from port - no stress about trying to be "on time"! We enjoyed meeting lots of different dinner companions over the course of the week (and if you're not crazy about someone you sit with, at least you're not stuck with them all week :rolleyes:).

Hubby and I did the open seating on the Liberty last month. We never had to wait for a table even when the other couple cruising with us joined us for dinner.

On the Liberty the open dining area was the upper level of the golden dining room. Overall we really liked being able to eat dinner whenever we wanted, you can even request a certain waiter, etc or to share a table with strangers, if desired.

I'd like to mention we didn't pre-arrange for open seating before we sailed. I'd read about open seating, but my online travel agent didn't know anything about it so I thought we were stuck with a late seating. I asked about it as we were checking in at the Miami terminal, the Carnival person processing us said they didn't do open seating. So I asked a young lady greeting folks as we boarded the ship. She said the Liberty did, but it was too late to change to it. I asked if I could try anyway..so she directed us up the stairs where the Maitre de was doing changes at 1pm. Only took a 10 minute wait in line. He simply asked how many of us there were (two couples) and that was it. We were told to ignore the dining time on our cards as their computer had the new info. It was that easy!

I hope every ship we sail on has this choice, we really enjoyed the flexibility.

Total Choice Dining This is Carnival's new dining option where you don't have an assigned table or time. You just show up sometime between 5:45pm and 9:30pm. This is currently being offered on only two vessels of the fleet. This option was being offered at the Golden Olympian Dining Room while the Silver Olympian Dining Room was operating as a Traditional Dining option. We absolutely, 100% and without a doubt loved, LOVED Total Choice Dining!! No matter what time it was, we had a table for two available for us either immediately, or within 5 minutes. If there was a small wait, they would give us a beeper, but normally we would start walking away, only to turn around because a table would become available almost immediately. As much as we loved this option, it's NOT for everybody. We witnessed an irate couple on formal night insult the Maitre'D when they were informed that there was a 5 minute wait. It was somewhat embarrassing to watch (the loud tone and choice of words was completely inappropriate). They had cruised on Carnival before and were telling the Maitre'D that they had NEVER had to wait for a table for dinner and that they were going to miss the comedian. We do hope that they continue Total Choice. We spoke to the Maitre'D one night and he said that the plan is to make it available in every ship and that they hope to have it rolled out fleetwide in one year.

We cruised the Legend over Christmas 2008. We had requested 6:00 PM dinner but when we got on the ship, we're told it was changed to Open Seating. At first, I thought, oh no...change it! Boy, am I glad we didn't.

One night, we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table. (in our town, a 20 minute wait is nothing). I think it was formal night. Other than that one evening, we were seated at a table right away. (table for 3)

We never shared our dinner table with anyone. Some nights we were asked if we wanted dinner company, other nights not asked.

We loved not having to watch our watches! After all, we are on vacation. We let our stomaches lead the way.:rolleyes:

My son even joked that if we timed it right, we could miss the "show-time" the wait staff performs. You know, the singing, dancing to YMCA, etc. With Open Seating, you could actually see the show twice, if you eat and drink slowly. Funny story however, one night the waiters were singing, then started dancing. Ely pulled my son up and wanted him to start dancing. My shy son, hardly moved....then all of a sudden, he (our son) started dancing like a MTV video! I had NO IDEA he could move like that! I guess he IS learning something at those Jr. High dances.:eek:

Next cruise...open seating for sure!

I have not experienced the open dining on Carnival, but I have on Norwegian and I did not like it. I never had a problem getting a table, but I really enjoy the social aspect of sitting with tablemates during the dinners. That's just my opinion I guess... With the open seating you usually are just with your group, which is fine but I like to meet new people.

We were just on the Legend over New Year's and the ship was PACKED. We opted for open seating. We didn't have to wait for a table once. We were a group of five, and we were seated at a table for six. We arrived at the matre'd desk, gave them our cabin numbers and they took us right to a table. No wait. The first night we had a FANTASTIC waiter. The second night we were seated in his section again, but at a table one over from the first night. After that, when we arrived at the dining room, I always asked to be seated in his section. Even with that request, we never waited to be seated. We arrived at the dining room between 5:50 and 7:00 each night. Didn't matter what time we arrived, no waiting.

I'm so glad Carnival is starting to implement open seating. One night there was an activity we wanted to do that would have conflicted with a fixed seating time. One night we were a little later in port and that would have conflicted with a fixed seating time. The flexibility is great.

If you're traveling with a bigger group of people, I'd say fixed is the way to go. That way there's no debating dinner times with 12 people and their schedules. It's 6:15, be there. But for just a couple or family, I'd say open seating is a perfect fit.

• 1 month later...

Ok, here is a question:

Can you choose the late dining, then go to the open dining whatever day you feel like it? Or are you locked in to the dining option you choose?

I think you can book the late dining, then go to the open seating, I mean do they check to see if you have specific dining and then deny you in the open seating dining room? :confused:

Archived