San Juan with elderly parents?

Paja

We will be in San Juan in January. We are cruising with my parents who are 87 and 89. They are still mobile and can do a certain amount of walking. Will it be feasible for them to see old San Juan? I think I read somewhere that it is quite hilly, is that true? What about the Segway tour? My mother no longer drives a car (her reaction time is not very good and her memory is becoming a problem) How easy are they to operate? Any advice you can give me will be appreciated.

There are free trolleys that take you to the fort and all around old san juan. You can get a map that shows the trolley routes. They take you right to the fort.

You are so lucky to have both your parents with you cruising. I envy you!!!

You can catch the free trolley close to the Old san Juan cruise piers. Make sure you take the one marked El Morro as this is a more direct route. It will stop near the San Cristobel fort (if you want to see that one) or it will take you to the entrance of El Morro fort.

The walk back down through Old San Juan is down hill or you can just grab the trolley back.

You could also do a carriage ride through old san juan - http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/05/alternative-ideas-for-puerto-rico-2/

and there are more ideas here http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/cruise-ship-visitors/

enjoy your visit

There is a trolley stop on the main road - but I believe that the trolley actually goes along the entrance road to the actual entrance to the fort - so you don't have to do the long walk - hopefully someone else will confirm this

I don't remember there being any benches on the path up to El Morro from the road (and I just confirmed it looking at pix) , but there are benches just inside the fort, right past the booth where you buy the tickets. I remember that because I really needed to sit. (There are also great views from the bathrooms in the fort!)

P1020602.jpg.2ba694f7894386392d8805e5e07c943d.jpg

I am also going to PR with 8 others including my 80 year old mother. It is her first cruise, and really the first time she has ever done anything like this. Our cruise arrives in PR at 5pm, and we have been looking for something that we can do with her. She does not drink or gamble, so the tolley looks like it might be something for us, as well as the carriage rides.

Does anyone know if there will be shopping available in the evening? I have heard that the only shops that will be open are the approved shops by the ship, but have not seen much about that.

Well....not to be a downer, but the trolley only runs until 7pm. But would probably be able to get a taxi if you need one.

I would not out your mom on the Segway- you need to balance. If they can't ride bikes, they can't do a Segway. Horse and carriage ride might be more their speed.

The Forts close at 6pm in the winter. Yes, the open air trolley takes up right up to the front door of El Morro. I think San Cristbal might be a better fort for them- more stuff to see on one level. And if it is a Tuesday, you can stay for the LeLoLai show.

There will be some other stores open in the evening, besides the ship sponsored ones, but not a lot.

If your moms can walk, take them along the Paseo de la Princesa, up through the Gate of SJ.

The next part is a pretty steep up hill.... But if they can do it, go up to Cristo street- stop at the Cathedral, see the Capela, some artwork etc. and walk down hill back to the ship.

OSJ is HOT and on a hill... It is small in size until you start walking it! If you can rent a wheel chaor (or better yet one of those motorized zoomabout chairs/scooters) it would be great.

Thank you all for your advice. I figured the Segway would be out and thank you for confirming that. From what you say, I think they will be okay with the trolleys and maybe a carriage ride. I will have to plan the route ahead of time, I think. And to the poster who said we are lucky to be cruising with my parents, you are absolutely right. It is a blessing.

Archived