Formal Dining on 3-night Cruise???

Jrabbit128

The dining on Disney's 4 day is not "formal". Some people do dress up on the last night or if going to the all adult dinner at Palo's. The will list the attire on your dining tickets that will be in your stateroom when you arrive.

Have fun...it is great!

I've been on the Disney Magic 7-night Mexian Riviera cruise and on Disney Wonder 3-Night Bahamas cruise. One dress up night on short cruise and two on the long cruise. A few of the men had tuxedos, but most had on a suit or jacket with no tie. Women in nice dresses... some formals. The kids were cute too. If you have any young daughters, you may want to have them dressed in a "Disney Princess" outfit. Would recommend buying at Target vs on the ship though. Have fun.

I have been reading the threads but haven't seen anything on this. I am going on a 4 day/3 night Disney Cruise in February. I was wondering if there is a formal night onboard on one of the nights?

The 3 and 4 day cruises are more casual at dinner. We dress casual every night on the 3 and 4 day cruises.

This is from DCL's site:

What should I wear to dinner?

Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual" -- no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.

On 3-night cruises:

• First night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
  • Second night: pirate or tropical deck party
  • Final night: "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:

• One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
  • One "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
  • Final night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:

• Three additional "cruise casual" nights — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
  • One formal and one semi-formal night — formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.

Dress for dinner at Palo on all cruises:

• Men: dress shirt or jacket
  • Women: dress or pantsuit

On 3-night cruises:

• Second night: pirate or tropical deck party
  • Final night: "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

Pirate or tropical deck party?? What do I wear for that and how do I know which one is going to happen on my ship????

There is a Pirate Party on EVERY cruise (3, 4 or 7). I think what they meant by tropical was just to go along with the "Pirate" type theme. The Pirate Party is the night they have the fireworks. If you have pirate attire, you can wear that, and everyone will get a bandana at dinner to wear to the party.

Oh no! That's not good! My hubby claims he wants to be a pirate so he is obsessed with him! A couple years ago, as a joke, my MIL got us matching pair of Skull and Bones pjs. I have a feeling is going to make me wear that with him! I might have to "accidentally" forget to pack them!

There is a Pirate Party on EVERY cruise (3, 4 or 7). I think what they meant by tropical was just to go along with the "Pirate" type theme. The Pirate Party is the night they have the fireworks. If you have pirate attire, you can wear that, and everyone will get a bandana at dinner to wear to the party.

I have heard DCL is going to be doing away with handing out the bandanas at dinner, this may have already started.

Oh no! That's not good! My hubby claims he wants to be a pirate so he is obsessed with him! A couple years ago, as a joke, my MIL got us matching pair of Skull and Bones pjs. I have a feeling is going to make me wear that with him! I might have to "accidentally" forget to pack them!

It used to be tropical night until those Disney made some pirate movies so they got some synergy going and played along.

Those PJs sound cool. If you don't want them, I'll send my brother-in-law over to pick them up. He lives in Woodhaven.

I have a 2009 Disney Cruise Line travel guide that says you receive a special bandana at dinner on the night of the pirate party. I would think if they'd done away with it that it wouldn't be in a 2009 guide.

It used to be tropical night until those Disney made some pirate movies so they got some synergy going and played along.

Those PJs sound cool. If you don't want them, I'll send my brother-in-law over to pick them up. He lives in Woodhaven.

I forgot to mention that the skulls glow in the dark too! :p

• 3 weeks later...
I have heard DCL is going to be doing away with handing out the bandanas at dinner, this may have already started.

Host Mick:

Do you know if they've done away with giving out bandanas at dinner before the pirate party...I had not heard this before belle904 mentioned it.

I have a 2009 Disney Cruise Line travel guide that says you receive a special bandana at dinner on the night of the pirate party. I would think if they'd done away with it that it wouldn't be in a 2009 guide.

The Wonder cruises that have sailed in January bandanas were not given out like in the past.

For the Magic, since last summer the bandanas given out were very small about half the size they had been.

The above information has come directly from recent cruises on both ships.

I just sailed on the 4-night cruise on January 11 -- sad, but true -- no more bandanas.

I found a store where they sell the coolest black and white skull and crossbone bandanas. You have to buy them by the dozen, but I give them to clients so I usually have 40 or so in the house. :) If anyone is in the Massachusetts area, I can send you the address of the store. I think they may take orders by phone as well.

Maybe I should buy a few boxes and hang out at the pier - I can fund my cruises that way. LOL!

Dotti

I just sailed on the 4-night cruise on January 11 -- sad, but true -- no more bandanas.

I found a store where they sell the coolest black and white skull and crossbone bandanas. You have to buy them by the dozen, but I give them to clients so I usually have 40 or so in the house. :) If anyone is in the Massachusetts area, I can send you the address of the store. I think they may take orders by phone as well.

Maybe I should buy a few boxes and hang out at the pier - I can fund my cruises that way. LOL!

Dotti

That is a really good idea. I bet you would be able to money just hanging out by the pier. Or maybe next time you go on the cruise, you can be a "bootlegger" and sell them on the ship without letting the staff find out. You could probably cruise the world with all the money you make.

Hi! I just got back from a Disney 3-night cruise. The dinner rotation is: resort casual, pirate, resort casual/formal optional. We did the formal. However I found that there weren't too many people that went that route. Those of us that did definitely toned it down a bit. Last cruise I did was much longer and we did the whole tuxedo, formal dress thing. This time, my husband wore a suit, my sone wore a shirt and tie, and my daughter and I did nice dresses. If you choose to not do the formal, you won't be alone.

And it is true - no more bandanas. We confirmed it with our wait staff. They sell the bandanas in the gift shop - $6.95 each. So if you can find them in a party store before you go, you will be much better off. Definitely DON'T miss the pirate party its a LOT of fun!!!! Very cool surprises.... :)

Have fun!!!

Archived