Off the cruise but still on the ship!!

You think that's bad.

A Co-Worker was chosen to fly on the space shuttle. I think he was up in earth orbit for 2 weeks. (early 90's)

When he got back..he was a total Klutz. Even mentioned it to the press.

He would take a pen, food, etc.. and just "Drop it" thinking it would float. Same with clipboards etc. Said he dropped his toothbrush and toothpaste several time until he got his muscle memory and 'earth legs' back. Basically everything he picked up he would release without finding a place to set it down.

I have not seen this posted. We were on the Triumph last week and since arriving home I have been rockin and rolling. Never even felt it on the cruise!! My sister removed the iron from the ironing board in her laundry room because she thought it would fall off w/ the motion. (so it is not just me). Crazy feeling. Anyone of you veteran cruisers have this experience?

Yep, every single time. Doesn't bother me but is an odd sensation.

I've had this since our first cruise in 2005. Finally prescribed Xanax by my doc (I think he's determined it's anxiety or all in my head???). Whatever, it helps when the dizziness occasionally interfers with daily living... and I keep on cruisin'! :)

I totally had this. I went to the grocery store and I was standing there looking at something on the shelf and the whole store seemed to be swaying like the ship. I had to take meds after to it helped alot. It would only happen in like stores or in my house.

Thankfully it only lasts for a few days - I get the same thing if I go to bed after having gone to an amusement park for a day or two, then I'm riding roller coasters all night!

:eek: I thought I was the only one in the world to feel that way after a day at Six Flags!

Yes! I have experienced this same feeling each time I cruised. I don't seem to have much sea sickness (if any) while on the ship, however when I get home I have the motion from the ocean.

It has helped me alot to take dramamine as soon as I get off the ship and continue for about a week.

I also had put this question out to others (my thread - motion from the ocean) and found that this is not uncommon.

mel

Well...to me that lengthy technical/medical explanation...seems awfully tongue-in-cheek. But sure...this is of course a REAL thing. And it would be experienced in one degree or another...by EVERYONE...who goes on a cruise/boat for a long enough duration of time. It all has to do with the inner ear and balance. Its totally natural...but would NOT last for years though.

Did you know that EVERY SINGLE ASTRONAUT that goes into space...gets sick! They all, 100% get motion sickness and throw-up!!! Doesn't have anything to do with how experienced a pilot you are, or how many times you have been in outer space before...every astronaut gets sick! After a few hours or even days...their inner ears adjust to the weightlessness...and then they get...Unsick. And life is good. But then, once they come back down to Earth...they get sick again. As their balance systems have to adjust to gravity again.

Same thing with being on a boat...just not as severe. And 100% natural for all.

I try to enjoy it...and (like another poster said) pretend I am on the ship...just a little bit longer!

Actually it can last for years, I am a living example of that...I spent a most of my Navy career at sea, on ships that have no stabilizers and are a lot smaller than cruise ships...I retired in 2007 and now two years later I still feel it...the VA told me I possibly have a slight but permanent imbalance in my inner ear from all that time at sea...whch explains why I can be sitting still and suddenly feel dizzy and nauseous...and never ever get seasick no matter how bad the ship is tossing...:D

Archived