Crowne Plaza London Financial District

We booked this hotel about a week ago through Hotwire and were happy with this choice based on reviews on Priceline, Hotwire and TripAdvisor. Today we received an email from Hotwire that they have changed the star rating from a 4 star to 3.5 stars. Because of this change, they are giving us the opportunity to cancel with a full refund or keep our reservation and keep receive the amount we paid (around $300 for 2 nights) in Hotwire credits to be used toward any future bookings.

Our first inclination is to keep the reservation because this hotel seems like a good option for us. We HATED the Travelodge we stayed in last year. Although this hotel isn't in the heart of downtown it seems to be in a convenient areat to get around London. Has anyone stayed here recently or have any information that could help us make a decision?

I just read this on a recent review of the hotel -

"The location of the hotel is helped enormously by the proximity of Blackfriars tube on the District and Circle lines. When it closes for refurbishment for 3 years in March 2009 this will remove this benefit, making the hotel much more difficult to access by tube."

Perhaps this why the downgrade by Hotwire?

Our first inclination is to keep the reservation because this hotel seems like a good option for us. ... Although this hotel isn't in the heart of downtown it seems to be in a convenient areat to get around London.
I assume that this is the one near St Paul's (at 19 New Bridge Street, EC4)?

If you are basically getting the stay for free (because of the held credit), then I would keep the reservation. Friends who've stayed there thought it was fine.

The absence of the Tube is no real biggie. Temple Tube and Mansion House Tube are not far away - less than 10 minutes walk each (in opposite directions). It would be inconvenient if you had lots of luggage, but you wouldn't be using the Tube then anyway. The area is well served by buses, particularly those that run along Fleet Street. The hotel is close to St Paul's, Tate Modern and the Globe - all walkable. It has a very good and highly regarded Italian restaurant (Refettorio).

Thanks, you were correct - it is the one on Bridge Street. I think we've decided to keep it and take the Hotwire credit for a future trip. We've asked them to upgrade our room but haven't heard back yet.

When we get closer we'll look at options for getting from there to Southampton. We will probably take the bus - do you know what the closest pickup point would be? Last year we were at the Travelodge in Southwark and took the bus to Dover from Elephant and Castle. It didn't seem like a convenient stop - too many local buses and the driver said he didn't see us waiting.:eek: This year I think we'd prefer to go to more of a hub-type stop. My thought is that we would get on the bus at Victoria station - either taking a cab or the tube from our hotel to Victoria.

When we get closer we'll look at options for getting from there to Southampton. We will probably take the bus - do you know what the closest pickup point would be? ... My thought is that we would get on the bus at Victoria station - either taking a cab or the tube from our hotel to Victoria.
If you're intent on doing that, then the only thing that makes sense is taxi to Victoria coach station, then the coach from there. It's a long walk from Victoria Tube to the coach station.

But if you're staying at that hotel, IMHO it would be better to get a taxi to Waterloo station and get a fast train from there.

Archived