**Warning** Comfort Suites Cocoa Beach

kgrassel

We just returned from a pre cruise stay at the Comfort Suites Cocoa Beach.

I would NEVER return to this property! Having stayed at several other Comfort Inns/Suites over the years, I can tell you that this "hotel" is more like an old, run down motel. The "suite" we had was indeed two rooms, but the sofa bed was disgusting, with cigarette burns in the cushions and it had a funky smell. No way were my kids going to sleep there! The room was badly in need of an overhaul.

Also, unlike most other Comfort Inns/Suites, this one does NOT include breakfast. The reason for this is that when they took over whatever the property used to be, there was a guy who had a food contract and he sells his services from a concession stand type set up near the pool. The costs were about $3-4 per meal. This guy is scary...As I was checking out his menu near the service window, I was treated to a stream of profanity he was directing at someone behind him in the kitchen. F this and F that, loud and clear. After a few minutes he looked up and noticed me. Then he kind of laughed and shut up. How ironic that he had a sign in his window saying to "be nice or go away". Sounds like he should take his own advice.

Overall, the staff was pleasant and tried to be helpful. They couldn't help the property itself, though.

On the way back we stayed down in Melbourne Beach at the Doubletree. Ten dollars more a night and waaayyyyy better value for the money!

We travel to this area most winters, and I would definitely stay in the Melbourne Beach, Satellite Beach, or Indialantic area over Cocoa Beach. The hotels are much nicer, and the whole area seems cleaner to me. Most of the hotels have been renovated in the last 2 - 3 years because that area was hit pretty hard by hurricanes and a lot of the big hotels were severely damaged.

I don't think it's much more than 45 minutes away. We went to the port area several times to eat and check out the charter fishing boats, and my husband did an all day charter from the port. You'd probably be best off with a rental car as a taxi might be pretty expensive. I'm not sure if there are shuttles to the port from the Melbourne area. The port info center could tell you that.

Yikes- we have booked the Comfort Inn for April and now I am scared!!!! How far is Melbourne Beach or Satellite Beach from the port? Is it worth trying there instead?

If you are just doing the pre-cruise night for Port Canaveral, how about the Radisson at the Port? I've read so many good things about it and the prices are pretty decent (and for our May trip the AAA rate was $30-$40 cheaper than the Residence Inn or Country Inn & Suites.) Plus free shuttle to the port. No beach, but the place seems to have a "resort" look to it.

Some bad advice here. Cocoa Beach has many fine hotels and there is no reason to go to Melbourne Beach. You might as well stay at the airport. I do feel bad when one guest has a problem but it is foolish to condem a property or even a whole town, don't you think?

PSBCAP- thank you for your advice. We really want to stay in Cocoa Beach due to the fact it is close to the port. We will stick with our plans to stay at the Comfort Inn. Are there places to eat close by? We will get into town early afternoon so we will be on the prowl to find someplace nice to go in the evening to unwind before our cruise. We will have a rental car so transportation is no problem. Is Budget close by the hotel to drop off the car on Saturday prior to the cruise? Thanks for your help.

PSBCAP- thank you for your advice. We really want to stay in Cocoa Beach due to the fact it is close to the port. We will stick with our plans to stay at the Comfort Inn. Are there places to eat close by? We will get into town early afternoon so we will be on the prowl to find someplace nice to go in the evening to unwind before our cruise. We will have a rental car so transportation is no problem. Is Budget close by the hotel to drop off the car on Saturday prior to the cruise? Thanks for your help.

Everything is close by as this area is small. Go to the port for dinner and if you are there by 4 the cruise ships will sail right past.

We've cruised on The Glory twice, and both times we stayed in Cocoa Beach, and both times we stayed at The Radisson.

We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

We enjoyed the hotel and the area.

There are some great restaurants down near the port area.

The OP has a right to his opinion, but my opinion is completely the opposite! :D

Archived