Leaving Kids home--letter for g'rents?

newbiecruiser09

Hi! Not sure if this is really appropriate since we are not taking the kids on our cruise but since it involves the kids, and you all are so knowledgeable, here goes. DH and I are going on a 4 nighter w/o the kids (for our 15th anniv) in April. The kiddos are staying at home in our house with my parents. Kids are 11 and 6. I want to leave some sort of authorization for my folks in case they need to take the kids anywhere, Drs etc, or in case there is any questions about why we are not around. Does anyone have this type of form or know where I can find one? TIA!

We've done this many times. Just type up a letter saying, "I/we authorize (name of care giver) to make medical decisions on our behalf beginning (date and time you leave) until (date and time you return) as we will be out of the country. And, then sign it. Some recommend having it notarized. We've never done that. And, once our son needed his inhaler refilled and our care provider had no problem getting it.

We've done this many times. Just type up a letter saying, "I/we authorize (name of care giver) to make medical decisions on our behalf beginning (date and time you leave) until (date and time you return) as we will be out of the country. And, then sign it. Some recommend having it notarized. We've never done that. And, once our son needed his inhaler refilled and our care provider had no problem getting it.

This type of letter has worked for us as well. In addition, we did let the kids MD know that we would be out of the country and that the their grandparents were caring for them. We gave the Grandparents their medical cards as well. The MD office appreciated the call and fortunately everyone was healthy and there were no problems.

Always leave your medical insurance info, and a letter authorizing them to make decisions about the kid's treatment, should it be needed.

Getting RX's refilled isn''t a problem---anyone can do that.

Your parents (their grandparents) took good care of you....you can trust them with your kids!

did get ours notarized (free at our bank). I also left a copy of our health ins card and dental ins card for them front and back. On that letter, I clearly listed all past medical history (surgeries, allergies, etc) each of the kids had b/c I knew the grandparents would not know for 3 kids. I also made a list of all OTC medications I was leaving for the kids, who took what and exactly how much. Yes, I probably went overboard-LOL. I also left the names, numbers, and locations for the dentist, pediatrician, orthodontist, pharmacy, etc. I also made it clear that we would be out of the country until X day, but they were able to make these decisions until we returned home in case we did not arrive home on time (ship delayed to weather, etc).

Getting RX's refilled isn''t a problem---anyone can do that.

True, but in this case, there were no more refills left. So, he had to go to the doctor for a new prescription. Our doctor won't just call it in. He needs to see him first. And, he was appreciative of the letter.

Thanks everyone for the responses--I knew the folks on this board would have the info! I like the idea of leaving info about where all the MDs are. They know the pediatrician but not the other ones. Will make sure to write some directions just in case.

Your parents (their grandparents) took good care of you....you can trust them with your kids!

No question! I would leave them with the kids as much as possible(this weekend maybe?!) but they live in NY so we don't get to see them all the time. Wanted to make sure they did not have any snags while we were away.

Thanks again!! :)

I agree completely with everything mentioned already. Can't stress enough to add your childs dentist and eye doctor to the list. Over a holiday weekend my daughter was in a biking accident that knocked out one of her permanent front teeth. She ended up at the dentist and the oral surgeon. If grandparents were caretaking they would have had no idea where to take her.

Hi! Not sure if this is really appropriate since we are not taking the kids on our cruise but since it involves the kids, and you all are so knowledgeable, here goes. DH and I are going on a 4 nighter w/o the kids (for our 15th anniv) in April. The kiddos are staying at home in our house with my parents. Kids are 11 and 6. I want to leave some sort of authorization for my folks in case they need to take the kids anywhere, Drs etc, or in case there is any questions about why we are not around. Does anyone have this type of form or know where I can find one? TIA!

We're working on this right now, too. There is an example of a preconsent form here. Just search "consent form for treatment of a minor" on Google and you'll get a lot of choices. Don't forget to alert any school personnel as well. For example, we're sending a letter to the school nurse so she knows to call my mom if anyone needs to come home sick and to the bus driver so she knows someone other than myself will be getting our son off the bus. As well as leaving Mom the numbers if she needs to reach the school.

I would suggest getting a Power of Attorney for your kids and have it witnessed and signed it in front of of notary. This would cover everything and anything that they would need to handle. See the information below in the form I've pasted below; I also have a MS Word copy if anyone would like it.

Instructions & Checklist

Power of Attorney for the Care of Children

[_] This package contains a (1) Power of Attorney for the Care of Children; (2) simple instructions plus a checklist; and (3) additional useful information about Power of Attorney for the Care of Children documents.

[_] Both Parents need to sign the Power of Attorney for the Care of Children.

[_] The Parents should sign the Power of Attorney for the Care of Children document before a Notary.

[_] The original Power of Attorney for the Care of Children document should be given to the Attorney-in-Fact.

[_] The Parents should keep a copy of the Power of Attorney for the Care of Children document for their records.

[_] At least one witness should sign the Power of Attorney for the Care of Children. Although not always required, it is always a good idea to also have two witnesses sign the Power of Attorney. The witnesses should be adults. Generally, anyone related by blood or marriage to the Parents, Attorney-in-Fact or Notary should not be a witness.

[_] The Parents should be careful giving instructions to the Attorney-in-Fact. The Parents should also be very careful in the selection of the Attorney-in-Fact, as the powers granted by this document are very broad and sweeping.

[_] These forms are not intended and are not a substitute for legal advice. These forms should only be a starting point for you and should not be used without consulting with an attorney first.

[_] The purchase and use of these forms, is subject to the Disclaimers and Terms of Use found at findlegalforms.com

Information

Power of Attorney for the Care of Children

Whenever it becomes necessary to allow someone else to provide for the care of your children, a Power of Attorney for the Care of Children form can be used. This document allows parents of one or more children (sometimes called the “Principals” or “Grantors”) to appoint another person to act as their Attorney-in-Fact to care for their children.

The word "attorney" is not used here to mean "lawyer". The person acting as the Attorney-in-Fact for the Parents or the children does not need to be a lawyer. Almost anyone can be appointed an Attorney-in-Fact by a power of attorney.

This form allows the Attorney-in-Fact to make decisions for the children in place of the parents, including health care, education and welfare decisions. This can be useful if the parent will be absent for a period of time. The powers granted by this instrument are very broad. Parents are basically giving temporary custody of the children to the Attorney-in-fact.

By having this type of document available, the Attorney-in-Fact will be able to better deal with any types of emergency involving the children and can avoid potential problems when, for example, arranging for medical, dental or any other type of care. Medical personnel will also generally feel more comfortable dealing with an Attorney-in-Fact who can provide this type of document.

The Parents should be very careful in the selection of the Attorney-in-Fact, as the powers granted by this document are very broad and sweeping and the children are being entrusted to the Attorney-in-Fact. The Parents should also be careful in instructing the Attorney-in-Fact as to what the Attorney-in-Fact should do.

Although the Power of Attorney for the Care of Children has a beginning and an “end/expiration” date, the Parents can revoke the document at any time even before the expiration date.

The Power of Attorney for the Care of Children should always be notarized, even if your state does not require it. Notarization will make it more difficult for any third party to challenge the validity of the Power of Attorney.

Although, some states don’t require that a Power of Attorney be witnessed, it is always a very good idea to do so.

Please note that this information is not intended as and is not a substitute for legal advice. Furthermore, this information is general information that is not state specific. Whenever appropriate, the instructions included with the forms packages offered for sale, generally include state specific instructions.

CAUTION!

PARENTS: The powers granted by this Power of Attorney for the Care of Children document are broad and sweeping. Before signing this document, consider its consequences. You (“Parents”) are providing another person (“Attorney-in-Fact”) with the power to handle and control the care, custody, health and welfare of your child/children. Any such action undertaken by the Attorney-in-Fact, within the scope of this power of attorney document, is legally binding upon you. If you have any questions about these powers, obtain competent legal advice. You may revoke this power of attorney at any time.

ATTORNEY-IN-FACT: By accepting or acting under the appointment, the Attorney-in-Fact assumes the fiduciary and other legal responsibilities of an agent.

POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR THE CARE OF CHILDREN

KNOW ALL PERSONS BY THESE PRESENTS:

We ______________________________________________________ (“Father”) and ______________________________________ (“Mother”), jointly referred to as “Parents” or “Principals”, maintaining an address at: ________________________________________ hereby make and appoint ________________________________________ (“Attorney-in-Fact”) maintaining an address at: _____________________________________________________ as our true and lawful agent and attorney-in-fact for us and in our name, and in our behalf to act as the guardian of our minor child/children:

Name: _________________________________ born on __________

The above named Attorney-in-Fact shall have the power and authority to act entirely in loco parentis and to do all acts necessary or desirable for maintaining the health, education, and welfare of our above named child/children, including, but not limited to, the powers to:

1. Provide for, approve, authorize and decline any health care at any hospital or other institution; employ any physicians, dentists, nurses, or other person whose services may be needed for such health care; review and if necessary disclose the contents of any medical records; execute any consent, release or waiver of liability required by medical, dental or other health authorities incident to the provision of medical, surgical or dental care to our child/children. Health care shall include but not be limited to the administration of anesthesia, X-ray examination, performance of operations, diagnostic and other procedures.

2. Determine the education of our child/children and to register and enroll our child/children in any educational programs, schools and extracurricular activities; review any school records of the child/children; allow our child/children to participate in activities and events offered by any group, organization or educational facility.

3. Maintain the customary living standard of the child/children, including, but not limited to, provisions of living quarters, food, clothing, entertainment and other customary matters.

4. Request, ask, demand, sue and take any and all legal steps necessary on behalf of our child/children and to adjust, compromise and settle any claim, our child/children may have against any other person or entity.

5. Apply for, purchase, maintain and/or deal with any health and other insurance for our child/children and to make and file any medical or other type of claim against any health or other type of insurance company.

6. Endorse and execute any documents necessary for the performance of the powers granted by this document, including but not limited to consent forms, releases, waivers, insurance documents, claims, agreements, contracts and legal documents.

Notwithstanding other provisions in this Power of Attorney, Attorney-in-Fact shall not (i) have the authority to withhold or withdraw life sustaining procedures for any child/children; (ii) have the power to consent to the marriage of our child/children; (iii) have the power to consent to the adoption of our child/children.

This power of attorney shall be in effect from _______________ to _______________ (“expiration date”).

By signing here, we indicate that we are fully informed as to the contents of this document and understand the full import of this grant of powers to the Attorney-in-Fact named herein.

We hereby ratify and confirm all acts by the Attorney-in-Fact done by virtue of this power of attorney and the rights hereby granted.

The Attorney-in-Fact shall be entitled to reimbursement of all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of carrying out any provision of this Power of Attorney.

If any part of this document is held to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable under applicable law, then the remaining unaffected parts of the document shall still remain in full force and effect and not be affected by any partial invalidity.

Any third party who receives a copy of this document may act under it. Revocation of the power of attorney is not effective as to a third party until the third party has actual knowledge of the revocation. We agree to indemnify the third party for any claims that arise against the third party because of reliance on this power of attorney. If this Power of Attorney is terminated by operation of law, any person relying in good faith on the authority of this document, without notice of such termination, shall be held harmless.

We may revoke this Power of Attorney before the expiration date at any time by providing written notice to the Attorney-in-Fact.

Signed on ________________ (date), at _______________________ (city), __________________________ (state).

Signature of Father

Signature of Mother

Witness Signature: ___________________________________

Name: ___________________________________

City: __________________________________

State: ___________________________________

Witness Signature: ___________________________________

Name: ___________________________________

City: __________________________________

State: ___________________________________

State of __________________________ )

) ss

County of ________________________ )

The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this _____ day of ____________________, ______ by __________________________ (name of Principal), who is personally known to me or who has produced ________________________________ as identification.

Signature of person taking acknowledgment (Notary Public)

Name typed, printed, or stamped

State of __________________________ )

) ss

County of ________________________ )

The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this _____ day of ____________________, ______ by __________________________ (name of Principal), who is personally known to me or who has produced ________________________________ as identification.

Signature of person taking acknowledgment (Notary Public)

Name typed, printed, or stamped

• 1 year later...

Dr_DNA,

Thanks for this. I payed $10.99 for the same exact form last year from an online legal form site. I couldn't find the original (unused) copy so I did some googling for the text in the document and found your post. You rock! :D

Four-night Caribbean on the Majesty, here we come! Stay away, tropical systems! :eek:

There is also a very simple form or you might be able to have a letter placed on file, but my Grandson's school requres that there be a list of anyone allowed to pick him up at school. This is in their computer and I have to be on the list and show ID to pick him up. There is also a form at the doctor's office saying I have permission to bring him in for treatment. I'm sure the POA will be best to have, but simply checking with the school and doctor's office will simplify the process just in case one of them has a sick stomach or something simple where the school needs to reach someone to pick them up. We've had this happen on numerous occasions. In fact, he's now in high school and they still require you be on the list in his file before I can sign him out for a dental appt., doctor, sick...anything. In today's world, it's a safety feature that I'm proud they have. My daughter has me, her sister and her aunt on file that can pick him up. Anyone else shows up, or you have to explain the POA, and leaving will be greatly delayed. Same at doctor's office. (I'd still want the POA).

I think it would be best to go with the POA. You never know what will happen. Lucky for us we gave one to our good friends who were watching our children for us while we went on a short 2 day get away to London. We ened up being gone for 9 days due to the ash cloud. While we were gone both kiddos needed to go to the Dr and DS had to been seen in the ER. With a POA our friends were able to take care of everything all with one simple document.

I always write in my medical-permission letter that the grandparent has the power to make any decision regarding school for my children, so if there's a permission slip, discipline issue, etc.they can take care of it.

Make sure the school also has the grandparents' cell phone numbers if they are caring for the kids. My mother had been on the list at the school the last couple of times we were gone, but I had listed her phone number as our home phone.

Well, DD8 got sick and they tried to call our house because she told them grandma was there. My mom wasn't at home, so they called around to our other emergency contacts. Father-in-law ended up picking up DD and getting back to our house just as grandma arrived. It all worked out but would have been much simpler if I'd just left her cell phone number.

Also, be sure to leave some cash or a signed blank check. Our garage door opener broke while we were gone on an other trip and my mother had to cover the repair until we got home. I was so apologetic.

Knowing a couple neighbors and giving the grandparent their names can also help if a repair issue arises because they would know some local contacts.

Something will always go wrong that you didn't plan on ...

PHXscuba

When we cruise with out our son I get the medical authorization for both sets of grands, better safe then sorry. Neither live near us so I also give them numbers of friends nearby in case they need another hand. When our son was an infant it gave me comfort knowing a newer mom was only a call away in case something was not doctor necessary but needed a Mom that knows the how to of newer things. It was never needed but it made everyone more comfortable to know there was back was there.

Have a great trip. When the parents go home send them a gift card or something. You and I are lucky we have parents we trust that are willing to watch our kids. It is rarer then I like to believe.

Happy cruising!

Our hospitals have a short form of their own that we filled out and they kept on file right there at the hospital. We are quite familiar with our family doctor and just let the office know we'd be out of town and who would be responsible for the kids and they had it on record at their office.

Archived